cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drumheller Campgrounds, help

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Planing to head south to Drumheller, Ab for the may long, with dw & 3 dboys (7, 5, & 2). Looking for a good drycamping campsite. I've searched reviews & can't seem to find any one campground that is consistently good. I realize I will pay $10 more to camp @ drumheller. Plan to spend to weekend seeing the sights & possibly head to the Calgary zoo one day, (if the dw gets her way). We camp in a 27' 5er, & backing in isn't a issue:-) Wifi isn't necessary, Playground is. We don't want to end up in an rv parking lot. Any input would be appreciated.
IMHO
12 REPLIES 12

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Camped near Drumheller in July three years ago - worst mosquitoes I've ever seen anywhere. Huge clouds. Misery.

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

Baxtersparents wrote:
I always like this site for reviews :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alberta/Drumheller.html

This is usually the 1st place I go. But Re: Drumheller campgrounds. Nobody gets a consistent review, good or bad. All are taken with a grain of salt though.

Haven't made up my mind yet.
IMHO

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
Maybe give the Hoodoo Rv Resort & Campground a look see. They have no power sites. I don't know if that means water only or not, They do have a playground. We'll be staying there from the end of June until the middle of July.

That's where we stayed. The sites are pretty close together but it's not too bad a place as the playground is right in the middle and it's a good base camp to explore the whole Drumheller area.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Oh if you are willing to stay between Drumheller and Calgary, check out the municipal campground in Acme. 15 amp electric and right down a grassy slope from the rec centre and a great playground. In the summer the outdoor pool is free too.

The campground does fill up if the is a ball tournament in town.

There is a free sani dump in town.

The young German butcher makes incredible sausages for the grill that her calls Grillwurst. Yum.

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
Maybe give the Hoodoo Rv Resort & Campground a look see. They have no power sites. I don't know if that means water only or not, They do have a playground. We'll be staying there from the end of June until the middle of July.

X2. They have playgrounds, lots of green space and is right on the river with walking trails. I think they have tent sites but RV sites were powered and water.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did Drumheller that long weekend in 2006 so maybe out of date. The parks all demanded you pay the whole time even if not staying that long. We made reservations in March for that May at the campground in Beiseker which worked out great. Had 15a power and water and a sani-dump you can use on the way out. Not sure about playground as such--was a big grass field and a rec centre right there, could be all right for kids. Good family restaurant in town--yummy steaks.

Was a 45 min drive east into Drumheller and area to see the sights each day. ISTR about an hour west to Calgary.

It was an RV zoo in Alberta that long weekend starting about noon on Friday, all of a sudden everybody was on the road in an RV ๐Ÿ™‚ Half way through the weekend the mosquitoes came out to feast on all those exposed RVers!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a very long time since we last camped at Drumheller.

We stayed at Bleriot Ferry Provincial Campground. Loved the campground. Did not love the Yobs from Calgary who decided to party all night long and set off fire works in the wee hours.

We called the police and they quieted them down.

There was a city park that allowed camping right in town. I am not sure if it was just for tenters.

Tourism Drumheller Campground listings

Enjoy your trip.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
I always like this site for reviews :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alberta/Drumheller.html

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Bleriot Ferry Provincial Campground is nice. No hookups so only $16 per night. Right by the river and lots of exploring the badlands nearby for the boys. Don't miss the Tyrell Museum. I have great memories of taking my boys there when they were young.

Howie

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go to the zoo!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've stayed in two--neither had a playground. Those are River Grove and Dinosaur RV Park.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.