cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East to West?

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to plan a trip from Pennsylvania to Arizona with many stops along the way. Not sure witch routes are best. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks...
18 REPLIES 18

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Spring can be an iffy adventure heading out west. I would shoot for leaving mid to late August. Kids will be, or are, in school in many areas so campgrounds shouldn't be full. The weather is usually pretty nice if not warm at that time of the year. Labor Day weekend might be busy so you could always try to target someplace by reserving a site for that time period. Otherwise I don't think you'll need reservations anywhere.

We did a Michigan to New Mexico-Colorado-Wyoming trip a few years ago in 3 weeks. I did pull our 5th wheel on Hwy 550 from Durango to Ouray and it was beautiful, but exciting with all the mountain driving. We did some long pulls, especially on the way out & back, but had some nice stays, usually 2-3 days in most locations we wanted to see. Grand Teton Nat'l Park was a week though. If you're not into long daily pulls I'd stretch out your plans to at least 4 weeks. Northern route first and come back southern route.

I've visited Mt. Rushmore and can't say it was all that exciting. Grand Teton & Mesa Verde are two of my favorites. Utah has plenty of excellent national parks too.

And just for fun here's a youtube music video for all those folks telling you that you'll just looking at the scenery going by your window due to the distance and time factor. Be sure your sound is on. The song is Looking At The World Through My Windshield by Commander Cody. It's cute and the scenery isn't bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ZhD6Ei1bM
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where in Arizona? I-40 takes you to northern Arizona, I-30/I-20/I-10 funnel into southern Arizona. From Pennsylvania you have lots of options to get to either. There are thousands of possible routes, and the best route will be the one that goes through the places you want to stop.

You can stay as far north as I-80 and work your way down through Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico to either I-40 or I-10.

You can get on I-70 into St Louis to pick up the Route 66 trip to northern Arizona. You can go down to I-40 on one of the Interstates in the East, see Nashville, Memphis and Little Rock. From Little Rock you can take I-40 west to pick up the Route 66 trip at Oklahoma City, into northern Arizona. Or you can go southwest through Hot Springs, Dallas, Odessa to join I-10 in West Texas for a southern Arizona destination.

Getting off the Interstate system, I've used US-24 going into northern Colorado (intersects I-80 around Toledo), US-36 across Missouri and Kansas into central Colorado, or US-60 across Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and into Phoenix (I've actually taken that one all the way from Virgina to New Mexico). US-64 and US-54 will get you from the Midwest to the Southwest on diagonals. US-50 will take you through Kansas City, across southern Kansas and southern Colorado.

It all depends on what you want to see, you'll find routes going through just about anywhere between SW Pennsylvania and southern Arizona without much more than 300-400 miles difference between longest and shortest routes. Do you want to see Chicago, go through Indianapolis for the Speedway, Nashville for the Opry, St Louis for the Arch, Memphis for the music history? All are possibilities. If going to southern Arizona, New Orleans and San Antonio can be on the route. Or maybe Rocky Mountain NP, or Denver, or Colorado Springs and Pike's Peak, or across southern Colorado to the canyonlands around Grand Junction and Moab, and down through Monument Valley to the Grand Canyon.

You'll have to choose a few key sites and route through them, because three weeks is not enough time to stop and see everything interesting on any route that gets you there and back. It took me three weeks from Guthrie across US-50 into the canyonlands, down to Monument Valley and back through NW New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle. I would have needed another 3-4 days to add the Grand Canyon to that trip.

I suggest you put a rectangle with one corner where you start, the other your Arizona destination, expand it a little bit, and start collecting tourist information from all the states inside the box, because they would all be potentially on your route. If you are thinking about Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills, expand the box north to cover South Dakota (which is somewhat north of Pennsylvania) and you'll find Wyoming on your trip possibilities too.

Put your list of major interesting places on a map, get hooked up to some trip planning software, try connecting the dots, maybe in a loop. Let the software figure out the trip time, and start prioritizing your stops, so you can eliminate places until your trip gets pared down to the time budget. Then let the planning software search for the interesting places along or near the route that connects the important places, start over prioritizing and weeding those. A lot of times though, minor interesting places make good overnight stops.

For the past ten years (my return to U.S. and retirement) I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips for this task, because it worked well, was easy to use, had a good "interesting places" database and could search up to 30 miles parallel to my route, could budget time for all stops, and quickly recalculate after any change. Microsoft has decided that S&T is no longer commercially viable, so you'll have to find something else.

I'm not going to recommend any places to stop. Your interests may be nothing like my interests. I find that I can spend weeks, sometime years, visiting and studying places that people with other interests simply can't drive across fast enough to not waste anymore time there. The grasslands of the Great Plains comes immediately to mind, and a lot of people also can't find anything to appreciate in the southwestern desert.

Natural wonders vs theme parks, museums and libraries vs roller coasters and giant water slides, pre-Columbian ruins vs Civil War battlefields, small midwestern farming communities vs the largest shopping mall in the U.S. We all have different tastes. That's why you collect information about where you might go through, decide what interests you, so you can decide what you will go through.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the consensus here - three weeks is way too short to cover both the southern areas (e.g. the I-40 or I-10 corridor) and the stuff up north like Rushmore and Yellowstone. I'd do them in two separate trips. If you've never driven a lot out west, it can be WAAAAAAY different, distance-wise, from here in the east. Rushmore is a long hike from the Grand Canyon, no matter how you do it.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
You may see alot of things but you will never enjoy any of it with just 3 weeks.
We took a trip out west this past June, we saw and enjoyed many places but 6 weeks and 7600 miles later we are planning more long trips.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree that if you are planning a Spring trip, start South. I also agree that 3 weeks is not nearly long enough to do a loop including Arizona, Wyoming and South Dakota and really see much of anything other than out the windshield.

From Newmanstown you could take I-81 to I-70 to I-68 to I-79 to I-64 to Saint Louis. I prefer this route to I-70. In my opinion it is a more pleasant drive with less traffic and better road conditions. You could also take I-81 South to I-64.

You could take I-81 South to I-40 which has lots of potential stops along the way. East of the Mississippi there is the Knoxville, Sevierville, Pigion Forge, Gatlinburg area; Nashville; and Memphis. Continuing on West, Amarillo is good for an overnight with the Big Texan. Palo Duro Canyon is not too far to the South.

In New Mexico, there are a lot of things to see along the I-40 coridor including: Tucumcari, The Blue Hole, Mining Museum, El Malpais National Monument, El Moro National Monument, Ice Cave and Bandera Volcano, Acoma Sky City, Pueblo Cultural Center, and Petroglyph National Monument.

Continuing West into Arizona, there is Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest National Park. You can stand on the corner in Winslow, AZ. In the Flagstaff area are Sunset Crater National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, and Walnut Canyon National Monument. South of Flagstaff in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Camp Verde Area are Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well National Monuments, Tuzigoot National Monument, Palatki and Honaki Ruins, V-Bar-V Heritage Site, Verde Canyon Railroad, Fort Verde State Park, Cathedral Rock, Gold King Mine, and Jerome State Historic Park. The South Rim area of Grand Canyon National Park is not far North of I-40 and Williams, AZ.

With only 3 weeks, you will have to pick and choose where to go and what to see.

Hope you have a Great Trip whatever route you take!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of thoughts here.

Newmanstown to, say, Phoenix is about 2300 miles. Out and back is 4600 miles. Three weeks is 21 days. That is about 220 miles driving EACH DAY. IMHO opinion you will not be seeing much except the inside of a windshield. Certainly not be able to truly see things; just say you have been there. Reconsider time element.

And I would avoid the Hwy 550 mentioned above unless you are an experienced mountain driver and, even then, with the tv or toad and not the rig.

Would recommend you buy Mountain Directory West for info.

Just my thoughts.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're relatively new to the forum and possibly new to the lifestyle, I'd recommend that you add Weatherbase to your list of favorites. It will show you historic weather data for many cities and towns within each state, by month, over a several year period. Its free. A good planning tool.
The data doesn't give a forecast - only what has happened weather wise in the past. Example: Tucson,AZ @ 2584 ft. altitude gets no snow. Flagstaff, just 250 miles north, gets 54 inches (on average) per year.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling in the fall, I would HIGHLY recommend US550 from Ouray to Durango, Colorado. It is not an easy drive (3 major mountain passes), but I did it this year as a relative newbie with a Ford F-150 and a 24' bumper pull with no issues. That road is consistently rated as THE most scenic drive in the US by publications like the Mobil Travel Guide. Peak fall colors are in late September, and although snow IS a possibility at that time of year, it usually does not stick that early--so if you wait a bit (as in, don't try to leave first thing in the morning if it snows overnight), the snow will melt off.

If you come into Colorado on I-70, you could even head out to Moab, UT (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks), and then back into Colorado via the Paradox Valley (which I found to be as impressive as those 2 parks), then make a little side trip up to Telluride before heading down the US550 route. Then, you can cut across via Mesa Verde National Park and the Four Corners, Monument Valley, and on to the Grand Canyon from there.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of CGs but I would suggest having the Good Sam guide book and if you are not Passport America members I think its worth while to join them too. Guide books are a necessity or at least a smart phone to do a search of the area for one.

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CloudDriver and Ken56... Have to look at schedules and plan for more time.... Plenty of campgrounds along the way I guess?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We left on 8-28 and did the northern route (basically I-90) out to Washington State. Had a couple frosty mornings in Montana the first week of Sept. Don't leave too late in the fall if you go at that time. MT. Rushmore was nice to see along with Crazy Horse Memorial. BUT, if your destination is AZ then going up there is a LONG WAY away. It all depends on how much time you have on hand. We were gone 2 months and I feel we didn't get to stay at some places we would have liked to stay longer at. Don't cut yourself short on time at any place you want to explore and enjoy. We did the southern route (I-40) back home to TN. Standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon is an awesome thing. AZ has ALOT to explore and we are going to go back there possibly next August. Pick a place to go and stay long enough to see things. Don't just be driving all the time.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
In the Spring start south and work your way north. In the Fall start north and work your way south. The two trips we went to NM and AZ we left home first week of May. Still very hot in southern NM at Roswell - 105 degrees.

When we go to Yellowstone & Grand Teton, we try to get there by the beginning of June to beat the crowds.

Also, 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to do a lot of sightseeing and make a southern to northern loop (or vice versa). To make driving that much distance worthwhile, we go for more like 8 weeks. It's a long drive across the country.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning for spring or fall of 2015. Hoping to take three weeks or so. Don't even know what all is out that way but Mt. Rushmore would be something I would like to see as well as the canyons of course.... Maybe a northern trip with a more southerly trip back. Maybe a National Park or two as well. Looking for some ideas. Thanks for the responses.....

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I see that you are just east of Harrisburg, PA. From here in NJ we have used the PA Turnpike to I70 to St. Louis then I44 to Oklahoma City then I40 to Arizona. We have used this route twice in May. In the winter, I would go south to warmer temperatures before heading west.

As already mentioned, more info on timing and planned stops would help us help you.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚