cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida panhandle rt 98

kdrsas
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our trip from Ocala FL to Santa Cruz CA. We want to avoid Highways if possible. How is Florida panhandle rt 98 for a class A towing a Jeep Wrangler going to overnight at Big Lagoon State Park? Any other backroad advice would be great
Kevin Dodi
2000 35' Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Class A
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Blue Ox anante 2
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/dodi.carr/1/tpod.htmlBlack Lab Sam
13 REPLIES 13

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Fair warning, going through Panama City is a long slow traffic filled ride no matter what time of the year, during spring break or summer in can be excruciating.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
NORM WADDELL wrote:
If you take U S 98 west from Destin.......at Navarre,
turn left/south at a traffic light onto Santa Rosa
island......a no toll bridge......OK for your R V....
at end of bridge turn right/west (have to do this,
road turns) and drive this highway to Pensacola Beach.
Two lane, 40 mph limit, no traffic, beautiful beach
drive. Then the road through Pensacola Beach commercial
area takes you to a no toll bridge north and you exit
onto U S 98 west.

When you get back onto U S 98, after a few miles you come
to the 'three mile bridge'......do NOT run short on fuel !
This leads you west, towards Big Lagoon Park. This route
is THROUGH downtown Pensacola, but this is NOT a big
city, and you will not have traffic problems.
This is an excellent suggestion. We have camped at Big Lagoon several times when our GS was stationed at Pensacola NAS. You'll like Big Lagoon, its very rustic and far enough off the highway that you dont' hear the noise.

NORM_WADDELL
Explorer
Explorer
If you take U S 98 west from Destin.......at Navarre,
turn left/south at a traffic light onto Santa Rosa
island......a no toll bridge......OK for your R V....
at end of bridge turn right/west (have to do this,
road turns) and drive this highway to Pensacola Beach.
Two lane, 40 mph limit, no traffic, beautiful beach
drive. Then the road through Pensacola Beach commercial
area takes you to a no toll bridge north and you exit
onto U S 98 west.

When you get back onto U S 98, after a few miles you come
to the 'three mile bridge'......do NOT run short on fuel !
This leads you west, towards Big Lagoon Park. This route
is THROUGH downtown Pensacola, but this is NOT a big
city, and you will not have traffic problems.
L NORMAN WADDELL
30 FOOT ALLEGRO
SATURN TOAD
WIFE AND 2 DOGS SUGAR BEAR & COCO BEAR

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't ask, but I would suggest that if you are going to take the road along the coast (98), that you take 2 days to do it. While it is very pretty, Its going to be one long day, not leaving much time for sightseeing. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and don't miss the worlds smallest police station.

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Route 399 is ok for your rig. This runs only about 20 miles between Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach. Pure white beach all the way, enjoy the trip.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess that ferry boat that runs across on 98 is still there ? That was a fun ride . Is it Escambia Bay or Mobile Bay ?

kdrsas
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
My recollection of Hwy 98 east of Pensacola is that you can't see much of ocean or beach. But drop down to Santa Rosa Island on 399 for miles and miles of incredible white sand. There are only a few places where you can stop, but stop at one of them to experience the beach.

Is this route 399 ok with a 35' class a towing a jeep
Kevin Dodi
2000 35' Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Class A
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Blue Ox anante 2
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/dodi.carr/1/tpod.htmlBlack Lab Sam

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even get on the interstate from Ocala. Take 27 west to Williston and Bronson to Chiefland and head north. (One of my favorite highways). Turn left after Perry and then its pretty much as has been said. Your not going to make any time from the Tallahassee area west, but it is a beautiful drive.
I forgot to mention that you switch to alt 27 in Williston(don't turn north there), just keep heading west to Chiefland.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you take route 20 and want to stop in Freeport FL, Live Oak Landing is a very nice RV park.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My recollection of Hwy 98 east of Pensacola is that you can't see much of ocean or beach. But drop down to Santa Rosa Island on 399 for miles and miles of incredible white sand. There are only a few places where you can stop, but stop at one of them to experience the beach.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
During summer and especially on weekends the Fort Walton to Pensacola stretch can be quite congested.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also Rt 20 is a pretty good ride , between I-10 and 98 .

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
kdrsas wrote:
We are planning our trip from Ocala FL to Santa Cruz CA. We want to avoid Highways if possible. How is Florida panhandle rt 98 for a class A towing a Jeep Wrangler going to overnight at Big Lagoon State Park? Any other backroad advice would be great

98 has excellent road surface conditions all across FL.

We tow a Cougar 5ver and use it all the time to run 98 between Tallahassee and Perry. Long piece of flat road with lots of Forrest and swamp, but a long straight 60 mph ride in that sector. (about 1 hour ride)(Get gas before this stretch)

St Marks / Tallahassee westbound is a slower but more enjoyable ride. I went from St Marks to PCB earlier this week and it was a relaxing and enjoyable ride. Stopped in Apalachicola for a great lunch (neat town). St Marks to PCB about 2.5 hours of driving and more time when goofing off like we did.

West of PCB things slow down from Destin to Pensacola. Last trip that segment took us about 3 hours. Lots of places to stop and see things.

Most of the entire trip west of Tallahassee is right along the Gulf.

If you are trying to make time though you don't want this route- use 10 . If you want to enjoy a scenic and enjoyable slow pace with lots of stop ad go you will enjoy it.

You'll find lots of nice cg's along the way. At the moment we are parked at Emerald Coast RV resort- one of the finest in the country (if not the best)

Happy trails!