cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Huge trip

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey everyone, I've got my big summer trip planned. This will be by far the biggest road trip I've been on so I'm a little concerned I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I think it will would out great. Over 3 weeks and around 9 000 km I'll be hauling my trailer from Alberta down to North Dakota for a family reunion. From there down to Mount Rushmore, then over to Omaha (I want to see the zoo!), then all the way down to Texas before heading west to see the Grand Canyon, then north to Yellowstone before heading back home. It's going to be quite the trip!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
37 REPLIES 37

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
In the last 2 years, I've done a 10,000 km trip and an 11,000 km trip. Both in right about 6 weeks.

Adrenaline had us moving on the first trip because it was a new experience. We didn't blink an eye at the driving. But this last one was different. I think the newness had worn off. The driving still wasn't a huge deal, but I was aware of it. I don't think my family would do another that far anytime soon.

As said above, your trip is covering what essentially would be 3 different trips...even for hard core road trippers.

Personally, I wouldn't drive that far for ONLY the Grand Canyon. You would be right next to Utah's Grand Circle... You just can't be that close to them without going (and your time limit wouldn't allow it).

What's in Texas? You're paying the price with a lot of additional miles...

What would I do? Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons. Or, pass everything until Utah's Grand Circle, including Grand Canyon. Both of those options would still leave no relaxing time.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that with the Canadian devaluation, 9000 KM is only like 200-300 miles.

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Congratulations, that sounds like an amazing RV experience. The Hill Country of Texas is also one of our favorite spots. We can get there in a day since we live in Northeast Texas.

I'm glad you tried it and glad it turned out so well.

Keep traveling!

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I did it! Over 11000km, 11 states and 2 provinces in 22 days! I can honestly say it was the absolute best trip I've ever been on, and couldn't wait to get back in the trailer for another trip once we finally parked it! It was certainly long, several days of 800+km drives, but we enjoyed every minute of it. The weather was amazing the entire time (minus some flash flooding in Oklahama), the sites were amazing (Yellowstone was way, way too busy though!) and our Jeep and trailer did an amazing job! Obviously there were places we could have spent more time, but I like leaving a place wishing I could have done more. I'm young and plan on spending many, many more weeks on the road so we will be back to the places we felt we could have spent longer at (The Mount Rushmore area certainly fits that description). The highlight of the trip was Texas (Hill country, Austin and San Antonio), but since Texas is our favourite place in the world it isn't really a fair fight! The Grand Canyon is certainly a place everyone should see, and next time I'll be taking petrel's advice and doing a helicopter tour!

A lot of people who posted here didn't think this trip could be done, or that it wouldn't be all that enjoyable. While I don't think this kind of travelling is for everyone, I have to admit it feels pretty good to prove some naysayers wrong!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
deshemar wrote:
Sam22,
My family did a similar 3 week cross country from VA south through TX, Vegas, LA, Yosemite, SanFran, Tahoe, Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore, back through Saint Louis.
It was a great trip. While it was active, we had the best time and got to see the highlights. IT WAS AWESOME. Yes, we will go back to some of these places and spend some longer times hopefully in the future. But for those nay sayers, know it is doable and can be a blast! It was for us. Not for those faint of heart but allowed us to see most of the things we wanted to see.
So, Go for it and have a great time!

That's great, sounds like an awesome trip! Hahaha I appreciate the vote of confidence! I enjoy these forums, there is a ton of useful information and people are generally very helpful but man, there are some opinionated/judgemental people out there!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, I highly recommend a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. We hiked it, biked it, sat through the park ranger lectures, etc. The only thing anyone still talks about is seeing the GC from the air!
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

deshemar
Explorer
Explorer
Sam22,
My family did a similar 3 week cross country from VA south through TX, Vegas, LA, Yosemite, SanFran, Tahoe, Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore, back through Saint Louis.
It was a great trip. While it was active, we had the best time and got to see the highlights. IT WAS AWESOME. Yes, we will go back to some of these places and spend some longer times hopefully in the future. But for those nay sayers, know it is doable and can be a blast! It was for us. Not for those faint of heart but allowed us to see most of the things we wanted to see.
So, Go for it and have a great time!
unfortunately RV-less for now, will be back to the fun in a few years!!!

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like hell on wheels to me but if you're good with it I wish you happy travels

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
petrel wrote:
We (our family of six) covered 21 states in 30 days(7000Miles) towing a travel trailer from VA to CA and back. We took the southern route out and the northern route back. We never spent more than three days anywhere and it was enough. Our highlights: Puebloan ruins, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas (had to see a Cirque show), San Diego (+2 days for a transmission replacement), Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Rushmore. Sure, I drove some 10 hour days, but I love to drive.

On the return trip, everyone got very blue. No one wanted the adventure to end and no one wanted to leave out little home on wheels.

So long as you are flexible, I think your trip is reasonable and you will have a great time. Best of luck!

Thanks for that, I think it's reasonable as well and, like you, I enjoy the long drives. Your trip sounds amazing!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
sam22 wrote:
Houston Remodeler wrote:
Unless your trailer came with the optional pontoons, you might want to stay away from Texas for a spell.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1443938318981427&set=a.249169005125037.57206.100000958183451...

Yikes! Hopefully that gets cleared up soon!

Just heard on the news this morning (Good Morning America), that some of those roads in Texas are expected to be under water for the next month.

Well thats fine I won't be heading out for until July. Crazy though!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
sam22 wrote:
Houston Remodeler wrote:
Unless your trailer came with the optional pontoons, you might want to stay away from Texas for a spell.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1443938318981427&set=a.249169005125037.57206.100000958183451...

Yikes! Hopefully that gets cleared up soon!

Just heard on the news this morning (Good Morning America), that some of those roads in Texas are expected to be under water for the next month.

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
We (our family of six) covered 21 states in 30 days(7000Miles) towing a travel trailer from VA to CA and back. We took the southern route out and the northern route back. We never spent more than three days anywhere and it was enough. Our highlights: Puebloan ruins, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas (had to see a Cirque show), San Diego (+2 days for a transmission replacement), Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Rushmore. Sure, I drove some 10 hour days, but I love to drive.

On the return trip, everyone got very blue. No one wanted the adventure to end and no one wanted to leave out little home on wheels.

So long as you are flexible, I think your trip is reasonable and you will have a great time. Best of luck!
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
penokee wrote:
Texas may be hot and humid. Do the Johnson Space Center in Houston if you have time. Enjoy the trip.

that's on the list! thanks!!
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn