cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 99 California

RVLimey
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at 99 south from Lodi to Bakersfield. Any current comparison between road conditions, surface conditions I-5 and 99. Always driven I-5 and want a change but not looking for more pot holes and cracked pavement. Drive 35ft gas motor home towing jeep.
Cheers.
13 REPLIES 13

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
While at the Orange Grove park take 58 just a few miles farther East and you will see Murray farms. Lots of fresh fruits and nuts to choose from and a decent gift shop.

Neither I-5 or 99 offer much other than rough roads and semis but I prefer 99.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I was also wondering why Larry Uses this route but now because we have enjoyed the oranges in that area I fully understand. 97 degrees in Casa Grande at 11:30am.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Us out West wrote:
When we go over the hill in mid-November from Reno headed to Casa Grande our first overnight is Lodi, then to Bakersfield with the final overnight in Indio.

Usually take I-5 out of SAC but this year will take 99 for a change of scenery.

Do you mean Casa Grande, Ariz. ?? If so, why not just take 395 down to Indio?

395 is a more 'direct' route for us out of Reno but we are not in a hurry.

We've done 395, 95, and I-5 several times each on the way down.

Last couple years we've stopped at Lodi to p/u wine from one of our favorite vineyards and the Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield to pick and take with us some of the sweetest, juicy oranges we've ever had...and you pick em' right in the RV Park.

So as I mentioned previously we'll take 99 for 'new scenery'.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
With family in So Cal & Redding, I know the roads far too well. We practically always take 99 for a number of reasons. Last few times I've mixed it up a bit. Both routes have had areas of construction & areas that are horribly rough. We usually stay at Flag City RV in Lodi. Bakersfield has at least 3 good parks. If you choose 5, we use the Panama off ramp to get to Bakersfield. Passes right by a Costco. We gas up. If you choose 99, take 120 at Manteca over to it from 5. Bass Pro Shops & Costco gas right off the road.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
When we go over the hill in mid-November from Reno headed to Casa Grande our first overnight is Lodi, then to Bakersfield with the final overnight in Indio.

Do you mean Casa Grande, Ariz. ?? If so, why not just take 395 down to Indio?

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
On I-5 the commercial traffic is all long haul with few on/off ramps. Hwy 99 has many towns with many on/off for all of the short haul business, produce and delivery traffic. Take your pick. Also I-5 is all 2 lane in each direction while 99 varies between 2 and 3 lanes here and there without reason as it does not seem to always be near towns. There are sections of I-5 where the right lane flat beats you up and chatters your teeth for miles with a beat up surface. Last month there were some sections on south I-5 where lanes were split for as much as 5 miles at a time. One lane on the old roadbed and the other 100 feet to the left on some north bound roadway. Nothing like lots of close cement K rails to stay between. But the locations are always changing so where they are today I do not know. Flip a coin and enjoy the ride.

RVLimey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Think I might give it a try this fall, southbound. If we don't like it, we know I-5 is just a few miles to the right. Be nice to think we won't have the I-5 to look forward to. Might be the right year for a change.
Cheers

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I much prefer I 5 over 99. I drive back and forth from Sac to Yuma 3 times a year and last Dec I went 99 and hated it. Never again I hope

What I dislike about 99 is local traffic going on and off 99. You really have to detect when someone is slowing down to take an off ramp, especially trucks and be really be aware of people coming onto 99 via the on ramps.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I much prefer I 5 over 99. I drive back and forth from Sac to Yuma 3 times a year and last Dec I went 99 and hated it. Never again I hope
samsontdog:o:W

Deputy_Chief_P_
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 99 is a much nicer route, also lots of exits and places for food and fuel. I believe it is safer as well, if you need repair service, you will be hard pressed to find it on I-5.
My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for the southbound, but I drove northbound during July. I actually started on I-5, unfortunately broke down, towed back to Bakersfield. After repair, thought I'd change my luck by taking 99 north. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I preferred it to I-5.

I took this trip after inquiring on rv.net.....half the people said I-5 is better and the other half said 99 is better.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
RVLimey wrote:
Looking at 99 south from Lodi to Bakersfield. Any current comparison between road conditions, surface conditions I-5 and 99. Always driven I-5 and want a change but not looking for more pot holes and cracked pavement. Drive 35ft gas motor home towing jeep.
Cheers.

Lodi to Bakersfield is a short trip and 99 will be fine. Going to I-5 from Lodi is way out of the way.