cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 5 or Hwy 99 through Calif

sd1209
Explorer
Explorer
I came south on I5 last year, Bay Area to San Diego and swore it was the worst road ever.....Taking the truck camper to AK in June and need to get North, either 5 or Hwy 99, San diego to north of Sacramento...

Anyone been on 99 recently?? Is it any better?? I5 last year was very bad.....A few extra miles is fine as long as the ride is better.....
Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler
17 REPLIES 17

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
There's a little construction on each at the moment.
FWIW, if you're considering 395 to 58 and then catching either 99 or 5 from there, the interchange between 58 and 99 is a hot steaming mess at the moment. Some time late next year we will have a straight shot of freeway all the way from 58 out to I5, only 35 years later than we actually needed it.

I tend to prefer 5 when towing, 99 in the car. But if I'm wanting or needing to take frequent stops on the way 99 is better for that. Try to time your trip so that you're not in Sacramento trying to cross the Bus. 80 to get over to 5 near any rush times and you're good.
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

bigjimcruising
Explorer
Explorer
While 99 has improved a lot over the years the traffic has gotten worse with it. Lot of big rigs racing to wherever. I usually swing over to 101 for a much nicer drive and not as crazy much traffic. With a good GPS and some planning you'd be amazed how far north you can go while avoiding I5 and see some nice stops along the way. Just pass on the garlic wine. lol
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 engine with winch and service body. Getting it ready for a new camper and then hit the trails!

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled Interstate 5 today from Valencia Ca to Sacramento with our truck and 5th wheel and 99.9% of the highway is in very good condition, headed to Oregon in the morning.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a round trip from L.A. to Rocklin and back a few hours ago. This was a fast turn around in the DW's DD. Took 99 both ways, road surface is 1000 times better the truck lane on I-5 which we have taken twice this year from L.A. to Florence OR.

Take 99!

There were a couple of spots where there was no lane changes and the lanes were narrow but not a bad as I80 was a few years back. Just plan on an extra hour going up as far as Sacramento.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If you think 5 is bad you really should drive the 285 out of Carlsbad, NM or any street heading towards New Orleans, La.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate 5 up the central valley is the worst road for the slow lane that I can think of in the nation. I have a truck camper (see sig line). I took 99 down to San Diego last fall and it was MUCH better than I5 ever was. It's been repaved and repaired regularly. I took 395 home (Sacramento area) and it took us almost twice as long, although it is a scenic route if you have the time.
Without any doubt, 99 is better than either 5 or 395 for road surface condition, and when driving a truck camper, it's a no brainer. I'll never go I5 again to SoCal.
As far as heading North from Sacramento to the state line, in Stockton take hwy 4 over to I5. Then take I5 the rest of the way as it's faster.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both and prefer the 5.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I--5 vs 99
Overall 99 is a better road on your RV. Although I-5 has been getting alot of road repairs, there are still some sections north of Kettlemen City are less than smooth. I-5 might be a little quicker as far as time but as of May 2019 I would still choose 99 until they do some more road repair on I-5. On and off traffic is not a big issue like it use to be. 99 is not as hard on your RV . I-5 around Salem can have some traffic to contend with especially early am and around 5 pm when workers are going home. Try to avoid those times. I-5 in Seattle can be a real cluster of traffic. Take the 405 to skirt around Seattle.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Bob213 ~~ That sounds about right

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of improved road on 99 for the "Bullet Train to nowhere" realignment. We take99 from LA all the time. At Manteca, you can go west for a very short distance and catch 5 which will put you on the west side of Sacramento with far less traffic.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
Having driven both many times I usually take 99, but they are pretty much equal. Don't know about construction this year.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer 5 as there are less cities and less merging traffic. The road conditions seem the same to me between the 5 and 99.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Too many nice places to stop.....” x2 That’s 395!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad