cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate weigh stations. 5K plus GVW

Taxman2004
Explorer
Explorer
I just went around DC on I495 (inner loop) and on the north end of the loop just about where I95N goes off there was a weigh station that said "all vehicles exceeding 5K GVW must enter scales". I've been Class A RVing for 14 years and I was always under the understanding that motorhomes were exempt. However pre 911 so where small rental trucks and busses. Have they changed the rules on MH or was this just a poorly worded sign. Another possibility is that we are exempt except in the DC area. Couldn't get an answer from them because they were closed.
Jim McManus
8 REPLIES 8

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just drove through there yesterday and it is 5 tons not thousand. Which now makes sense. This is in Maryland and every vehicle over that must stop whether private or commercial. I emailed Maryland DOT and that was the reply.

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
You do not have to stop in most states. Generally scale/inspection facilities are for commercial vehicles weighing over 26,001 pounds. There are some exceptions but usually RVs do not have to stop, you just get in the way.

Agricultural inspection stations are a different animal.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sounds weird, seeing that would be an S10 pickup??

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
When they flash the "park and bring paperwork inside" as you cross the scales, what are you going to take inside besides the registration. If they really want you they will chase you down, keep on driving.

X2

I pulled in once......guy looked at me like a tree full of owls.
Now I just wave and drive on by. Ain't had no blue flashing lights chase me.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
When they flash the "park and bring paperwork inside" as you cross the scales, what are you going to take inside besides the registration. If they really want you they will chase you down, keep on driving.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
You were in Maryland and were required to stop.

When driving my dually with a 12,300 GVWR (with no trailer/camper whatsoever), I'm required to stop.

I have emailed with the MD State Highway Administration confirming this - it is solely based on the stickered GVWR of the vehicle (or combined if towing). There are no restrictions on commercial vs. non-commercial vs. RV. You are required to stop so that they can inspect and see for themselves if you are commercial.

That's the letter of the law.

The spirit of the law- don't stop, no one is going to come chase you down and you're just going to be in the trucker's way.

X2; we go through Maryland frequently and never stop at the weigh stations. Nor have I seen any other RVers stop there. If anyone ever did stop us, I'd just say that I was sorry and that I assumed MD's policy was the same as every other state's that I'm aware of--RV's don't stop for weigh stations.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
You were in Maryland and were required to stop.

When driving my dually with a 12,300 GVWR (with no trailer/camper whatsoever), I'm required to stop.

I have emailed with the MD State Highway Administration confirming this - it is solely based on the stickered GVWR of the vehicle (or combined if towing). There are no restrictions on commercial vs. non-commercial vs. RV. You are required to stop so that they can inspect and see for themselves if you are commercial.

That's the letter of the law.

The spirit of the law- don't stop, no one is going to come chase you down and you're just going to be in the trucker's way. I've never stopped in MD (my home state) and haven't ever had anyone bat an eye. My truck's GVWR is 12,300; my camper's GVWR is 15,825.

I did sort of stop in Virginia once, but only because I wanted the rest area just beyond the weigh station. They diverted me (via signage) around the scales to the rest area.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to watch signs more closely.
I have seen several weigh stations across the country that now require all vehicles over a given weight to stop. I haven't seen any as low as 5K but several at 10K.
Some have been temporary signs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker