cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Towing a 40-Footer Cross-Country too big??

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Currently running a 2015 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins HO/Aisin and towing a bumper-pull 2007 Sierra 321BHT (quad bunkhouse, 41 feet long from tongue to spare, about 9400# dry). Propride 3P and the truck tows it like a dream. We love the rig, it's paid for, and it has TONS of space for our kids on a rainy day (age 2, 5, and 9).

We're in rural northern Michigan, and to this point, we've only towed into the Upper Peninsula (even more rural than where we live). I have no issues towing the trailer on open roads, I can back it into a campsite, but obviously refueling and stopping for food requires careful planning. We've traveled this route 100 times over the years, so I know exactly where I can fit and where I can't, ahead of time.

The kids are growing and we'd like to see some new sights. We'd like to travel to Ohio to see Hocking Hills, Mammoth Cave in KY, the Smokey Mountains via Ashville NC, out to Maine etc etc.

Problem is that without knowing in advance which fueling stations & restaurants we can easily fit into, going into new territory poses a challenge with this huge trailer.

Our rig measures 63-64ft in total length, and I know that many states have a combined tow+trailer length limit. Michigan is 65ft, but IN, WV, NH, GA, and several others are either 55ft or 60ft.

Looking for thoughts here.......

We've considered parking the current camper (est value $15,000) on a seasonal site, since it makes an awesome "cottage".

Should I:

1) Give up on the thought of towing this beast cross-country and simply Rent a 20-24' camper for our Once or Twice-Annual "long trip" (total rental cost $1000 for 10 days) from a local place that rents current-model-year rigs that all have new tires and warranties.

2) Buy a $5000-6000 camper for these "long trips", knowing that now I'll have 2 units to winterize, keep fresh tires on, and maintain?

3) Sell the current camper and buy a 30-35 foot 5th wheel, which would enable to me get part of the overall rig "length" reduced (truck has 5th wheel Prep but no hitch) and only have 1 unit to deal with.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pic of current rig attached. [/img]

Thanks!!
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins
21 REPLIES 21

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.

Couple thoughts:

1) logos were removed last fall, so we're stealthy now;)
2) current camper is in nice shape, but at 10 years old we expect to see increased repairs in the next few years. We've offered it to some family members for a fair price, with the thought that we'll upgrade to a newer trailer if they buy it.

3) when we upgrade to a newer unit, we've found a couple floor plans in the 32-34 foot (total length) range that we like that still give us the sleeping functionality we need while allowing us to shave 5-6 feet from our total length and we would "be legal" in almost all states. 5-6 feet won't make much difference in maneuvering, but it won't hurt.

If they don't buy it, we'll keep the trailer we have and tow it:)))

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be more worried about blowing past a weigh station with you logos on the windows. Some over zealous DOT guy could really ruin your day. Your logo says that you are a commercial vehicle in their eyes and your length could then come into play. Along with permits, medical card, etc. Not saying that it would happen, but that it could happen.
No logo, no problem. They leave RVs alone except for produce checks etc. You can always put the logos back on when you return. Or go magnetic.
Puma 30RKSS

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I read your initial info and skimmed the replies.

Our third rig was a bumper pull that was about 40-41 feet and we pulled it with a Suburban. We were 62 feet long overall.

We had it one year and went to 5th wheel for several reasons.

That was in 2001 and now on our 2nd 5er.

Highly recommend that option if you can $$.

PM or email if you would like.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went from Pa to Yellowstone in mid May with a 27 ft TT. You will find you will have fewer choices on where to get gas and where to camp.With our rig we had a few places getting gas where it was really tight getting in and out. But, there are people that do it.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be intimidated, just go. I find that stores that have gas stations, like Walmart and some grocery stores in their out lot are more accessible than the usual corner station in town. Don't wait until you're on empty to find a gas stop. I start looking when I hit 1/2 tank. You look like you have a great set-up now, why change it? Sure, you might be limited in some state parks in your ability to fit but there is always some place you will fit. Don't deny those kids the experience of seeing this great country, they will remember it all their lives. To stand on the rim of the Grand Canyon for the first time is breath taking. Just go. Things will work out. Thousands of other people do just fine.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jettix2 wrote:
Thanks to all for the comments. Talking with my wife to see what we want to do!!:))

If you're so undecided, sell what you have and get something that you'll really enjoy taking longer trips.

It certainly doesn't make sense to have 2 RVs just because you're uncomfortable with the size.

You will not enjoy renting after having your own. It's expensive and you won't go as often. Sleeping space is more crowded.

Fuel and restaurants are definitely no issues with your present RV. Many, many RVers manage just fine.

For food for long days of travel, prepare your own and stop at a rest area to enjoy it - a lot faster and cheaper.

Once you get to a destination, go out as often as you want.

Fuel while traveling - I don't see an issue.

Once you get to a destination and before taking off in the morning, make a run to town and fill up. Then you won't have to worry about your first stop with the trailer.

I think you're worrying about this too much. Just GO and enjoy yourselves!! ๐Ÿ™‚ You can do it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the comments. Talking with my wife to see what we want to do!!:))

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not too big. You have enough experience with it to know that while you can go almost anywhere, you can't go everywhere. You'll have to stay out of the centers of big cities and be wary in the suburbs. Reducing overall length 10-15 feet won't change that, you still can't go everywhere a midsize SUV or passenger car can go. The amount of "downsize" you ate considering doesn't make much of a difference.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
With the cargo carrier for the blue boy, I'm just a bit over 62 feet long. Never had a problem or question. I guess I might technically be illegal in some states. In 2015 we towed from Texas - LA - AR - MS - AL - GA - SC - NC - VA - MD - DE - NJ - NY - CT - MA - NH - VT - ME - RI - PA - WV - OH - KY - TN - AR - TX.

Even rode the Cedar Island - Okracoke and the Ocracoke - Hatteras ferries with the rig fitting just fine for the journey.

Yes, when I'm trying to park the 40' long TT combo - I've got to pick my site carefully. Sometimes I have to park the 22' long truck sideways.

The most common comment comes from truck drivers when I park it among the rigs at the truck stop. "Danged - that rig is a lot longer than I expected, how does it tow?"

The most important thing is are your happy with your current rig?

If you say YES - that's all the answer you need.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer and truck combination with my cargo carrier on my trailer is just shy of 60 feet total length. I've had no problems camping with my 35 1/2 foot long TT in Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, West Virginia or Virginia - Private camp grounds or State-County-City campgrounds. We just choose our camp sites carefully ahead of time. If going somewhere new and the internet does not give enough information, we call the camp ground, given them our size and EVERY single time we've been accommodated and could park somewhere in the campground. And sometimes, (on a couple occasions), the "alternative" site turned out to be much nicer than the normal sites, more secluded, private, out of the way.

Always be prepared with lots of water hose and lots of power cord for you camper. I carry 200 feet of water hose and 150 feet of electric cord (30 amp) for the camper for just these occasions. But, I've never been turned away because I was too long... anywhere.

I suggest you keep your current camper and go have fun! Part of the "Adventure" is all about discovering the new sites. And it keeps your driving, parking, backing, towing skills very much alert and alive! You'll increase your skills, abilities towing, and your confidence. Eventually, you say.... "Why was I so worried. I can go and experience just about anything now!"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have no problems towing what you have. There are thousands of others out there doing the same. Interstates, definitely no problem. Secondary roads like we loved to drive with our 40' motorhome were also easy. Many people live along the secondary roads including farmers, ranchers, etc. They all need fuel. It's available. Many of the stations have good access not like the big city stations that require you to pull in facing the convenience store. As stated, if you see a truck stop definitely use the truck pumps.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Having a truck that is diesel powered is a huge bonus in this situation. Like others have said, you are able to use the diesel pumps at truck stops and that should eliminate the worry about finding a gas station that you will fit into.

Plus, you already know what you have with your current set-up and you like it. No need to worry about somebody selling you something with hidden problems.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming it's properly set up, going down the road is a non-issue.

Going into parking lots isn't a great deal different. Pulling a 30' trailer into a small parking lot will still be an exercise in careful piloting.

One thing to remember if you switch to full time (or longer time trips), you don't have to burn thru 500 miles in a day. Do 100-200 miles, get into an campsite and then go out for lunch and refuel without the trailer attached. Learn to take it easy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the book "Next Exit" as it has lots of good information on restaurants and refueling places for RVers. Also, you can always disconnect in camp and drive the truck solo to refuel if that works for you. Some truck stops have RV pumps. There are many options available to you for refueling so if you like what you have keep it and use it.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.