cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made it

Merlot
Explorer
Explorer
Finally made it to Peurto Panasca/Rocky Point Mexico. This is our first time south of the boarder with our fifth wheel and we are pretty excited about it. We met up with some friends in Ajo Arizona where we bought insurance. We only bought trip insurance good for the day you drive in and the day you drive out, then formed our caravan and headed south. Crossing the boarder was easier than expected for us they waived us through, didn't even talk to us. Our friends from Canada had their fifth wheel searched but it was no big deal. The highway is in good shape but the roads in town are pretty rough.
We are staying at Playa Bonita RV resort with our rig a Montana 3400 RL backed up to the bulkhead facing the Sea of Cortez. Service is 30 amp/water/sewer. No TV unless you have a satellite dish. We are staying for 13 nights at 27 bucks http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/ps146364/library/
Bill

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain
29 REPLIES 29

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you'll have fun there, we enjoyed it back in February. While thee we were disappointed to watch a 5th wheel and it's tow car burn to the ground at Reef RV. despite quick response from the Bombaderos. Neighbours collected money for the owners, away at the time. We didn't find out if they had insurance coverage.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
I am still amazed by all the empty condos and half built ones. A real example of excess at it's worst

When those condos are finished the RV camping on the beach will be also. I hope I never see any more construction there. I LOVE those dirt roads!
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Talleyho69
Glad you had a decent turkey day. Sometimes our worst days give us the best memories.
PLEASE remind us of this in the future!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from 3 nights in PP. I am still amazed by all the empty condos and half built ones. A real example of excess at it's worst/ We came from Kino to Caborca and took the so called shortcut. Worst detour I have ever encountered. There had been 36 hours of rain and the detour was just sand and mud and lakes. Took 1 hour to go 10 km. I just spent 12 hours cleaning the underneath of our MH. Covered with salty sand and mud!! PP is a great spot for short visits. The food is awesome and the people are friendly. The Cholla mall should be demolished. Run down and dirty with the highest prices in Mexico. But the Malecon is a fun place with a great view from The Pointe Restaurant. Good food and even better Margaritas. Penasco needs to do something about the infrastructure. The streets are mostly dirt and horrible. Even the paved streets are in bad condition. We stayed at The Reef. 215 spaces and only 15 spaces occupied. We pulled into an ocean front space and had the best view!!! 50 amp service and lots of water pressure. WE will return next year for another quick visit.

Moisheh

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
Don't expect such an easy border crossing on your return. There just aren't a lot of folks going into Mexico with an RV loaded with illegal immigrants and drugs.

Going into Mexico it's with guns and ammo.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder why the high restrictions?
Were they ther on the way south?
We are 12'10" MH!

Talleyho69
One of the three lanes for entering the US at Lukeville/Sonoyta is marked for wide and tall vehicles. I want to say it's the one on the right, closest to the building, but since we only exit once a year, can't guarantee it.

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to RVing in Mexico
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
probably
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't this be in the "RVing in Mexico and South America" section?
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
there are no pics in the album
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I started going to Rocky Point in the 1970's. Had an Airstream permanently parked on the beach for many years next to Playa Del Oro RV park. We were one of 6 RV's there on our own private beach. Then condos were built and Manny's restaurant went up and were told we would have to vacate. In the following years we then stayed at Playa Del Oro. Went back a couple years ago and all I can say is WOW have things changed. Playa is much the same as is the beach but the surrounding area is vastly different than days gone by. Old town Rocky Point is almost all closed up. Everything has moved north of town. Sandy Beach was a remote stretch for boondockers and tent campers as well as the college crowd. Now its huge high rise resort hotels and a large RV park. Heck, theres even a Burger King in Rocky Point now! JJ's cantina over at Cholla Bay is still as it was and lots of fun! I hope to make it back soon but will stay at Playa Del Oro. Still more laid back than the Sandy Beach side.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Merlot
Explorer
Explorer
There were two gates both 12'3"
Bill

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Was that 12'3" gate the only one available?