cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midwest ideas

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
We will be with our kids in CO in mid July. Thinking of going to the Black Hills from there & then further east before going south. I want to revisit places in IL from my childhood but that leaves MN & WI to go through. Would appreciate ideas on both. We prefer COE or SPs vs commercial CGs.
ML
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starved Rock State Park is a very very busy park especially on weekends. You will also need reservations asap for that park and there may already be no sites available. Many of the state parks are like that in the summer.

shirleyj62
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend Thomson COE in Illinois. It's right on the Mississippi River If you can get into Potters North loop, that is on an island with the River on three sides of you.

Great birding and also on the 50 mile Mississippi River bike trail.

Shirley
Shirley, David and Lady

2017 Sunseeker 3010 DS
2010 Toyota Yaris (toad)

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Starved Rock State Park is nice, but don't go for the waterfalls in mid-July - they'll likely be nothing but trickles or totally dry.

I'm sure you know of Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois - a don't miss if you're anywhere near the area. Here are a couple blog posts I did from our trip ....

Top 10 Fun FREE Things to do Near Garden of the Gods, Illinois.

Garden of the Gods is Not Just in Colorado!
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mirror Lake and WI dells is worth a solid day maybe one more if you hit the waterparks. Go east and camp along Lake Michigan at Kohler or Harrington. In Il starved rock is a cool place. You could spend two days and not hike it all.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
DCS7 wrote:
Mirror lake state park is also in he area and a very nice place. We liked it better than Devils lake, somewhat less developed.

If you stay in the Dells area or especially at Mirror Lake state park, be sure to eat at Ishnala Supper Club (it is in the state park). Great view, great food and their bloody marys are almost a meal in themselves!

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
Mirror lake state park is also in he area and a very nice place. We liked it better than Devils lake, somewhat less developed.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree Devils Lake State Park is a great July camping place, you will have to reserve a site early it is full every weekend.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming down I39, the Starved Rock State Park along the Illinois river is very nice. The Linclon sites in Spingfield, especially the museum is very interesting, the evolving map of the civl war boundries is really unbelievable.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
For Wisconsin, my pick would be Devil's Lake SP.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could plan a stop in the Wisconsin Dells area then head straight down 39 into Illinois. Not familiar with campgrounds at the Dells, but there are a lot of them. Kids would probably love it especially if it's hot, which it may be.