cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2016 Alaska stats ($)

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the stats from our 2016 Alaska trip. We left home on May 23rd and arrived home on August 21st. It was a trip of a lifetime for us.

10,811 miles
1106.28 gallons of diesel
9.77 mpg average
$3153.89 fuel cost
$2.85 per gallon average

Dry camped 49 nights
Campgrounds 41 nights
$1240.76 campgrounds $35.45/night average

Dining out $1754.

Entertainment - Tickets etc. - $1962.78

Our Journal
http://www.mytripjournal.com/willmannstravels
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan
20 REPLIES 20

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
TS21sso wrote:
dreamer wrote:
olcoon, I did 2 whale watch boat rides, my wife did three, that was a big chunk of our entertainment dollars. We also flew around Denali for a couple of hours which was pretty pricy. We bought the TourSaver app which saved some bucks.

Snowman9000, The fuel for the toad is not included in the total. We only used 3 or 4 tanks of gas in the Tracker, probably less than 50 gallons.

Mudchucker, Hi! It's a small world for sure!

dreamer.

Wife and I have a 2017 trip to Alaska in the planning. We too want to take a Denali flight. We see there are various options with a number of flight services. Did you take fixed wing or helicopter? Any lake or glacier landings? We have checked the prices, but just want to ask if you thought it was money well spent?

TS21,
We used Stampede Aviation's fixed wing, Cherokee 6, with no glacier landings. We had the Alaska Toursaver which is a two for one ticket at $375 instead of $750. We really, really enjoyed the flight which was billed as 1.5 hours but actually 2+ hours. This was at Denali. The Toursaver app saved us a lot of money on the whale watching cruises too. Good luck. Have fun!

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
TS21sso: If you want to take a flight, consider purchasing the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book - online. You'll get one flight free with purchase of one. It also contains many other things like glacier cruises and the Fairbanks steamboat. One glacier cruise will pay for the book.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
dreamer wrote:
Here are the stats from our 2016 Alaska trip. We left home on May 23rd and arrived home on August 21st. It was a trip of a lifetime for us.

10,811 miles
1106.28 gallons of diesel
9.77 mpg average
$3153.89 fuel cost
$2.85 per gallon average

Dry camped 49 nights
Campgrounds 41 nights
$1240.76 campgrounds $35.45/night average

Dining out $1754.

Entertainment - Tickets etc. - $1962.78

Our Journal
http://www.mytripjournal.com/willmannstravels
I did it in 1962 on a Honda 305cc motorcycle, 12,500 miles,67 days, total gas, food, misc, etc. $260, There was much for RV Parks than, the ground was hard.
So big a world, so little time to see.

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
dreamer wrote:
olcoon, I did 2 whale watch boat rides, my wife did three, that was a big chunk of our entertainment dollars. We also flew around Denali for a couple of hours which was pretty pricy. We bought the TourSaver app which saved some bucks.

Snowman9000, The fuel for the toad is not included in the total. We only used 3 or 4 tanks of gas in the Tracker, probably less than 50 gallons.

dreamer.

Wife and I have a 2017 trip to Alaska in the planning. We too want to take a Denali flight. We see there are various options with a number of flight services. Did you take fixed wing or helicopter? Any lake or glacier landings? We have checked the prices, but just want to ask if you thought it was money well spent?

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a comparison with a 5er and gas truck. we left ND on June 29 and arrived home on Sept 11.

10,450 miles
1,153 gallons of gas
9.1 mpg (includes both towing & touring w/o 5er)
$3,400 for gas; Average about $3.06/gal.

We don't have our other costs compiled yet.

As said previously, value of the trip - PRICELESS!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
7200 mi and $2997 in fuel, but that doesnt include the exchange rate for Canadian fuel so actual will be lower.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the real numbers. Better than my estimates.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
EEWally wrote:
Our diesel average for 7100 miles in 2014 was $4.40 per gallon (liters converted to gallons, of course). I like your $2.85 better.

That plus the very favorable exchange rate in Canada saved us thousands of dollars. I told Karen that the stars were aligned just right for us to make this trip this year!

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Our diesel average for 7100 miles in 2014 was $4.40 per gallon (liters converted to gallons, of course). I like your $2.85 better.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I took the same trip thinking it was the trip of a lifetime only to find repeating it seven later. Now as our age creeps up we are planning one more trip next year. At 74 it might take us longer but there will be no hurry. I feel your numbers are correct our fuel mileage is about the same but the cost of fuel was about 25 per-cent higher due to fuel prices. Thanks for the post as it makes me want leave now.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
gkenworth wrote:
Great blog. I was up on motorcycle with my brother in '03. Planing a trip with the family in '19.
According to your blog your 3rd grade teacher, pictured on our $20 bill, was Queen Elizabeth. Lol

Well, it sure looks like her. 🙂
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Great blog. I was up on motorcycle with my brother in '03. Planing a trip with the family in '19.
According to your blog your 3rd grade teacher, pictured on our $20 bill, was Queen Elizabeth. Lol
IMHO

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown