cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N.Y.C. to quartzite

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
Our first really long trip since retirement. We will be leaving New York at the beginning of the year to get to Quartzite for the big show. I have been thinking of getting as far south as possible as quick as possible due to weather concerns. So I have looked at going straight down almost to Florida and taking Route 10 across. Any advice would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

dedmiston
I-10 is my least favorite way to see America. It just feels soul sucking to me. Can you detour across I-40 to see some prettier parts?

Either way though, it's going to be a fantastic trip. We spent about a week at the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil show earlier this year and that was a blast.

Good luck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
We made the trip 3 years ago from NJ. We went out I-78 to I-81 and worked our way along the Interstates to New Orleans. Spent three or four days there and then headed out on I-10. Other than some rough road at the La/Tx border and the feeling that it took forever to get across Tx, that route worked out well for us.

We were in a no hookups campground in Quartzite which got us use of the dumpstation. If I go back, I'll just boondock. We're normally full hookups people, but that just doesn't happen much in Q.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm…. NYC to Quartzsite? You're in for a culture shock! 🙂 There are no KOAs in Quartzsite. Boondocking is the way to go. The RV parks are basically gravel parking lots if you want full service so don't expect 'resorts'. Have a good trip! This may help you:

http://quartzsitetourism.com/explore-quartzsite/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
No boondocking maybe one night in a rest area but DW likes full service,, Usually KOA fits the bill,

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Besides, you can enjoy visiting the NASA Spaceflight Center in Houston. We loved it on our trip from Jacksonville back home to AZ. Traveling through the Bayou was an interesting (in a good way) experience.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 is no worse than any of the other interstate highways... they all have bad sections and construction zones.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about NY to FL but I'd take 10 from FL straight across. Years ago there was a very bad bump in the west bound side that threw my slide out of wack and tweeked a closet door opening. My son just did that run back and forth in January and said they must have fixed it. The bayou bridges in Louisiana may still not be the best road around because they are built on a swamp but staying down there is obviously going to give you the warmest Temps.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In January heading to I-10 is a very good idea.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ceasare wrote:
Our first really long trip since retirement. We will be leaving New York at the beginning of the year to get to Quartzite for the big show. I have been thinking of getting as far south as possible as quick as possible due to weather concerns. So I have looked at going straight down almost to Florida and taking Route 10 across. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check BUT - IMHO I-10 is really not a road you will enjoy.

Let the weather Map be Your Guide - I'd Diagonal south to say Map - Memphis - And Paris, TX just might be more comfortable to drive.

JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach