cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Niagara Falls--over the border or toll roads

j_sgypsybuggy
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from Minnesota to Niagara Falls. Good Sam routes us through Michigan, into Canada and then back into the U.S. Our concern is crossing the border with our trailer stocked full of food etc that we will need for our trip. The other route takes us through Indiana, Ohio, etc into New York from the south. That takes us on several toll roads. We've heard nightmares about them. We will be continuing onto Acadia National Park and Cape Breton Island so we will eventually have to cross the border. Any advice out there? Should we cross the border or shake things up on the toll roads? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Always appreciate your input.
38 REPLIES 38

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend going through Canada. Driven the route from Sault Ste Marie to Niagara, and it's a very nice and easy drive, including through Toronto. we stayed off the toll road in Toronto, just took the local highways. Most Canadian drivers will let you merge when you signal, so heavy traffic in a large vehicle is easy.

Depending on your vehicle you use, it's going to be a class 3/4/5 vehicle in most of the toll roads in Indiana (~$30)/Ohio (~$44)/Pennsylvania ($30+). This would be per trip and excludes the tolls you run into in Illinois around Chicago if you come in through Wisconsin.

You can check your toll rate and class by going to each of the states sites on their toll roads.

We found shopping in Niagara to be no more expensive than the large US cities we've visited, so pack light and enjoy the local food.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:
ShapeShifter wrote:
campigloo wrote:
After these posts I am seriously reconsidering. With all the rules, special equipment required, foreign vehicle fees, multiple fines for the same things, it seems the Canadian government is actually hostile toward foreigners. Is this right or am I just reading too much into it?

You're reading too much into it. They are not hostile towards foreigners, in fact other than weapons and felony conviction restrictions, crossing into Canada is a piece of cake compared to the US scrutiny coming back.

x2

Crossing into Canada: Drive right up to the booth with no wait. Hand over passports, answer one or two questions, on your way. Total time: Maybe 3 minutes.

Crossing back into the US (as a US citizen): Wait in line for an hour or so, hand over passports, answer four or five questions, on your way. Total time: Lucky if it's under an hour, but last time it was more like an hour and a half.

hmmm. I just came back from a weekend shopping trip in PA. The US crossing was 125 minutes and the Canadian return crossing took 85 minutes.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
ShapeShifter wrote:
down home wrote:
I just read the thread and have a question. Any problems from the xray scanners and Folks with Pace Makers?

My understanding is that the large yellow scanners at the entrance to the booths on the US side are not X-Ray units. I believe that they are radiation sensors, and don't transmit anything. I'm not aware of any scanners on the Canadian side.

Now, on the US side, it's possible that you will get pulled aside for a secondary inspection where they line up a row of cars, and then drive past them with an X-Ray truck. I've not had that happen to me, so I don't know if they give any warnings. I've seen others get lined up for it, but I don't recall if they had people stay in the vehicles or get out.

A few years ago when traveling from NY into Quebec, we got pulled over and the scan truck xrayed about 6 vehicles at a time. We had to get out and take our cat with us. We had to wait in a certain area along with an inspector - it didn't take long but was an inconvenience when trying to get home. However, if this provides safety at our borders I'm not complaining,.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Perhaps they are the card scanners. We use Nexus cards and there are scanners in most lanes even if they are not dedicated Nexus lanes. Anyone who uses a Nexus pass must go thru a regular lane if there is someone else in the vehicle who does not have a Nexus pass.

ShapeShifter
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I just read the thread and have a question. Any problems from the xray scanners and Folks with Pace Makers?

My understanding is that the large yellow scanners at the entrance to the booths on the US side are not X-Ray units. I believe that they are radiation sensors, and don't transmit anything. I'm not aware of any scanners on the Canadian side.

Now, on the US side, it's possible that you will get pulled aside for a secondary inspection where they line up a row of cars, and then drive past them with an X-Ray truck. I've not had that happen to me, so I don't know if they give any warnings. I've seen others get lined up for it, but I don't recall if they had people stay in the vehicles or get out.
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, First you cheat the system, then brag about it? Toll roads aren't bad. Indiana is cash only. It's a good smooth road except through PA where they hae 9,800,210 Orange barrels but it's only 40 miles or so. Going across CN is nice but boring in that theres only 1 hill and it's a bridge approach.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
ShapeShifter wrote:
campigloo wrote:
After these posts I am seriously reconsidering. With all the rules, special equipment required, foreign vehicle fees, multiple fines for the same things, it seems the Canadian government is actually hostile toward foreigners. Is this right or am I just reading too much into it?

You're reading too much into it. They are not hostile towards foreigners, in fact other than weapons and felony conviction restrictions, crossing into Canada is a piece of cake compared to the US scrutiny coming back.

x2

Crossing into Canada: Drive right up to the booth with no wait. Hand over passports, answer one or two questions, on your way. Total time: Maybe 3 minutes.

Crossing back into the US (as a US citizen): Wait in line for an hour or so, hand over passports, answer four or five questions, on your way. Total time: Lucky if it's under an hour, but last time it was more like an hour and a half.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone trying to avoid the 407 ETR is heading up the 400 to northern ontario I can ask my inlaws the route they take it adds about an hour to their drive of 200 miles, but you'll avoid the 407/401 and some of the busy stretch on the 400 between Toronto and Barie. I should really know it myself but taking the 407 on weekends with a transponder costs $15 for the 40 miles.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
MAN. Visiting Canada, the east & west coasts, has been a life long dream of mine. We are planning a trip to Niagra, cross into Canada there, and reenter the US in Detroit. After these posts I am seriously reconsidering. With all the rules, special equipment required, foreign vehicle fees, multiple fines for the same things, it seems the Canadian government is actually hostile toward foreigners. Is this right or am I just reading too much into it?

No the government here is only hostile towards its own citizens , you see in our governments eyes we are all a drain on the health care system, on social services, we all cost the politicians money,,, its suppose to be theirs to steal, not ours to use, no they like foreign visitors as you spend money here and so long as you don't know how to apply for your sales tax back when you get home,, they make out like bandits
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

ShapeShifter
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:

I've highlighted part of your post, and I think that mostly comes from my discussion of the ETR? That's just one toll road in Toronto, and in that case, I do think they are somewhat hostile to foreigners in heavy motorhomes, but that's just my opinion. If you're going from Niagara Falls to Detroit, you're not going to be anywhere near there.
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
SeaDog and PackerBacker, thanks much for your response. I was hoping it was just me. I knew the Niagra to Detroit thing was short, but we picked that so we could have time to park and relax. Most of the trip is visiting family in Columbus, OH so it is intentional. BUUTTTTT, retirement is Oct 2014, then we will really do some serious touring. Thanks again for setting me straight!

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
MAN. Visiting Canada, the east & west coasts, has been a life long dream of mine. We are planning a trip to Niagra, cross into Canada there, and reenter the US in Detroit. After these posts I am seriously reconsidering. With all the rules, special equipment required, foreign vehicle fees, multiple fines for the same things, it seems the Canadian government is actually hostile toward foreigners. Is this right or am I just reading too much into it?

You do realize that crossing at Niagara and going over to Detroit is about a four hour journey across the very southern tip of Canada?
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
campigloo wrote:

You're reading way too much into it. Except for no weapons crossing the border without appropriate permits, rules, equipment and just about everything else to do with visiting is really no different than the US.