cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio, Kentucky, or West Virginia??

caranoel
Explorer
Explorer
We're from the Boston area. This summer we will be in Detroit one weekend and in Gettysburg the next. Instead of coming all the way back to turn around and go back out, we'd like to take the long way from Detroit to Gettysburg, PA and need your suggestions.

Leaving Detroit early Tuesday morning. Arriving in Gettysburg around 3 pm on Saturday.

We'll be tenting (although we usually have a pop-up).

Love hiking, river or lake swimming, great scenic views, junior ranger programs for the kids (age 13 and 9--both boys), and generally inexpensive outdoor adventures. Also could do some canoeing, kayaking, or rafting.

We've never been to any of these states, so we're hoping to put together a plan for those four days. Because we're tenting, we only would like to break camp once midweek, so two days in each in two places is okay. More than three set-ups in four days is too much.

What are your favorites? Some places we love (which give you an idea of what we like) are White Mountains in NH, Cape Breton Island, Upper Peninsula in Michigan, "Up North" Michigan, and the Black Hills of South Dakota. We're in good shape, we don't mind driving, and we're always up for something new.

Thanks for all of your help!
2 Parrotheads
2 Parakeets
2004 Trailblazer
1999 Coachmen Clipper 1260

"Come along, let's have some fun
The hard work has been done
We'll barrel roll into the sun
Just for starters"
-Jimmy Buffett
14 REPLIES 14

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Any state park in WV. They have them figured out and do it right.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I second South Bass Island. Take the ferry from Port Clinton to Put-In-Bay. There's a state park campground on the island, and everything is within easy walking distance. Very laid back EXCEPT Fourth of July. Big party time for the bigger boys and girls. I don't think you want your kids to grow up that fast.
They used to fly folks out on one of the last three Ford Tri-Motor planes, but I think they finally ran out of parts.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of rafting in W. Virginia but never been there. It's on our list though!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Red River Gorge/natural bridge in KY has some of the best tent camping and hiking available anywhere I have ever been. You can tent camp anywhere in the Daniel Boone National Forest or if you need hookups in Natural Bridge State Park. Its fantastic
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
X3 - Hocking Hills, If you get as far as Dayton the Kids would love the AF Museum
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

caranoel
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! We've been to Cedar Point many times! ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Parrotheads
2 Parakeets
2004 Trailblazer
1999 Coachmen Clipper 1260

"Come along, let's have some fun
The hard work has been done
We'll barrel roll into the sun
Just for starters"
-Jimmy Buffett

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
East Harbor State Park. One day to Cedar Point. one day to South Base Island. Use bicycles or rent a golf cart. one day at East Harbor.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be driving right past Cedar Point, OH the roller coaster capital of the universe.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
METZCOOL wrote:
Hocking Hills State Park, Best Ohio has to Offer for tenting, hiking!!

X2

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We just left Shenandoah Valley and Skyline Drive area and loved it! Shenandoah Forest has some campgrounds. Beautiful state parks in West Virginia too!
We also loved Harper's Ferry WV. Very interesting. We stayed at the KOA adjacent to the National Park. Might be too far out of the way.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
In Ohio,Punderson State Park or Leith Run in Wayne national Forest.In Kentucky,Carter Caves SP or Ft Boonesboro SP.In West Virgina,Burnsville Lake COE and in PA,Pine Grove Furnace SP.All are nice.

METZCOOL
Explorer
Explorer
Hocking Hills State Park, Best Ohio has to Offer for tenting, hiking!!

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest Mohican Reservation Campgrounds in Loudonville, Ohio. I am not certain when you are planning the trip but you may check their website for the activities. Hiking and Canoeing. You will not be that far out of your way from Michigan to Gettysburg visiting Mohican.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is a bit of a stretch, but if you could get to Cherokee NC and start the Blue Ridge Parkway, you would get plenty of scenery and opportunity to hike your feet right off. You had better start working on the planning, there aren't many campgrounds along the BRP.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.