cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio to Florida on I 75. Steep grades?

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to Florida via I75. I'm wondering if there are any steep downhill grades,that I may encounter along the trip. Especially in the mountains. Any advise?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6
27 REPLIES 27

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what scared rockhill so bad. I have driven that hill for years in everything from a motorcycle to a tractor trailer. That is NOT a bad hill up or down!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to Florida via I75. I'm wondering if there are any steep downhill grades,that I may encounter along the trip. Especially in the mountains. Any advise?

don't know which route you are taking but......

Stay AWAY from Chattanooga!!

Coming down from Wisconsin I came thru Chattanooga and it is a straight shot straight down. And I mean REAL far down.

I didn't know this and was in wrong lane when I reached the top and saw what I was in for. No one would let me move over. I thought I was going to die!

Found out later it is a 7-1/2% grade.

After that first newbie trip with my MH that day....I now know what those yellow signs with a picture of a truck on an angle mean AND what the 'numbers' under the truck mean! :B

After that experience when I was Snowbirding South I took another route down. Didn't care how many more miles more it was to go around. I was NEVER going down that road in Chattanooga ever again.

Check your route map to see if it includes what I now call the Chattanooga drop off!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
As other have said the only large incline/decline is Jellico pass just as you enter Tennessee heading south. I pull 35' with a GM 6.0 gasser and have no issues holding speed going up or down. Both directions in the steeper portions there are slow truck lanes that you can travel at a slower speed if that makes you more comfortable.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to check your geology because it's not downhill to Knoxville or Atlanta. No steep garades.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. Thanks for the replies.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven I75 from Cincinnati, Ohio through Atlanta, Georgia, to I-10 and then on to the Panhandle and back again several times. The road is all good. I don't think there is anything excessively steep, grade wise.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interstate 75 all good.... Jellico Mountain, some downhill... but nothing I couldn't handle with a fifthwheel and truck or a motorhome and toad. I can't think more than 6% being on the interstate. KY/TN state line area.

As DownTheAvenue said, all downhill.... lol.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Going from Michigan to Florida, it is all downhill.

ben31rv
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few areas. Nothing terrible. As with any steep areas, just downshift, keep it slow and keep to the right lane. There are emergency pullouts, but you shouldn't need to worry about them.
Ben and Doreen
2017 Crusader 315RST
2008 F250 6.4 Supercrew Lariat

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Jellico Mountain as you enter Tennessee, however I did not have any problems the few times I went down it, I did not gear down nor did I need much braking. Nothing bad from the Ohio river through Kentucky. Past Jellico nothing much to mention either. Once you pass Knoxville not a lot of grade the rest of the way. My truck and trailer at the time similar to yours.
Chris
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
There is no steep downhills in Florida. ๐Ÿ™‚

Except for the waterslides
Wheeeeeeeeee

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
There is no steep downhills in Florida. ๐Ÿ™‚
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice is try this google maps for elevation.

It may calculate for 30 seconds.. but pretty cool.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman