cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

over length in most states

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone every been pulled over for being over length while triple towing through states that allow triple towing, have you ever heard of this happening to anyone you know, we will be making a trip from the Phoenix, Az area to Shreveport, I checked 50 state towing guide and we can triple tow through AZ, NM, TX, LA, and all of them say 65' is the max combined length, is that the combined of our trailer and car, or is that our truck, trailer, and car combined together, thanks
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension
40 REPLIES 40

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
And double towing in California is no longer legal for rvs. Banned about ten years ago.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
Many states will allow you to pass through as long as you are legal in the state you are registered.

The opinions posted on this website are just that, opinions. In my opinion the above statement should be verified as factual before you enter a state where you are not in compliance with that states laws.

Not trying to bust on anyone here, just saying....

This quote is not always true
In Ariz,you can tow double if the first vehicle is a semi or 5th wheel
You cannot double tow with bumper pull.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you apparently don't know that some states allow triple towing (three trailers) on interstates and toll roads and limited local roads.
I'm sure the driver would have to have a CDL with a triple endorsement.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Many states will allow you to pass through as long as you are legal in the state you are registered.

The opinions posted on this website are just that, opinions. In my opinion the above statement should be verified as factual before you enter a state where you are not in compliance with that states laws.

Not trying to bust on anyone here, just saying....
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
remember folks I too am just looking for answers to questions, and use the terminology offered to me from website A, does that make it the definitive answer to the term double or triple, how would I know thats why Im here, remember my run of the mill standard disclaimer, for those of you that read to deeply into that, its called sarcastic sense of humor, heres another one for you >>> The Originator of this email is not liable for the transmission of the information contained in this communication, unless they are the originator in which case they probably are liable and rightly so considering the content of the aforementioned communication.
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
For those who can't or are unable to understand the definition of double tow and triple tow they can go here to the Federal DOT website where in the upper left corner they have a picture clearing showing what each is.
I know - it's not 'towing world.com' or some other such site compiled by those who are also unable to count the number of vehicles being towed and read by the same.
Here's where the confusion comes in when people continue to call a triple tow 2 trailers being pulled by a tow vehicle. If you call a particular state to find out if such a combination is legal and you ask if it's legal to triple tow the agency you talk to is going to use the legal definition which means tow vehicle, trailer, trailer, trailer. In other words they're going to mistakenly assume you know what you're talking about. Then you're going to most likely get the answer that it's not legal. The next thing you're going to do is get on RV.COM and whine that those stupid cops or state DOT guys in such and such a state don't know what they're talking about because you saw 101 rigs on your travels thru their state 'triple towing a 5er and boat."
Camped in every state

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Let me first say that I no longer pull doubles (truck, FW, utility trailer) because it was just to much of a hassle.

I was never pulled over but was approached twice by a CA DOT officer while we were stopped for the night. I wasn't over length so no issues. The second time the LEO said that he would use surroundings to judge length. Example if you are near a 53' commercial semi and look longer you are probable over 65'.

Many states will allow you to pass through as long as you are legal in the state you are registered. In Oregon we had the opportunity to talk with a state trooper and while we were apparently illegal in Oregon the fact that we were legal in CA (all were registered in CA) his head office instructed him too not write us up.

In all the miles we pulled doubles we drove safe, within speed limits and were in compliance with CA regulations and never had a problem. Every time we were approached we were stopped for the night or having lunch.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing I do is never take one website too seriously. If several sites agree, then I will take that as a sign that they are probably correct.

Of course, my wife thinks that commercial about "reaching the end of the internet" is about me!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to just getting stopped, another potentially bigger problem would be if you are involved in an accident, your fault or not. Seems good excuse for an insurance company to not pay. I know nothing about double or triple towing, just a thought on liability.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm, here ya go write to them and explane why its called towing doubles, and now my disclaimer;
my posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose

There seems to be a rash of silliness on this board lately. Another member block in place.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm, here ya go write to them and explane why its called towing doubles, and now my disclaimer;
my posts are for entertainment purposes only and may not be constituted as scientific, technical, engineering, or practical advice. Information is believed to be true but its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed / or deemed fit for any purpose

Rub some liniment oil on your skin buckeroo, it's a little too thin. :B

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wirenutz wrote:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm, here ya go write to them and explane why its called towing doubles, ...

No.

Like I said, if you are towing three trailers, you will obviously be over length.

If you are towing two trailers, it will be hard to know if you are over length without measuring your rig.

And, not all the states have the same limits. Many of them may offer an over length permit that you can purchase before getting there.

For nearly 17 years I drove a rig that was 123', and did the permitting and measuring daily. I made it my job to know the bridge formulas better than the enforcement people.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a doubles and triples endorsement on my license. If you are triple towing, you would most likely get stopped. If you meant double, chances are you won't get stopped unless it is for something else. It is difficult to judge a length being over a couple feet at highway speeds.

It will depend on your comfort level with possibly being slightly over length. Not all the states have the same limits.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee! I guess "Towing World" is more correct than the wording in the Florida Statutes. [[Double Towing]]
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"