cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvannia Turnpike Violation Notice

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a vacation in the Pennsylvania area. When we returned home we received a EZ Pass Violation notice. The amount due was $126.90. Going by the date on the notice we were travelling from Stroudsburg area to Washington DC. I'm not sure how or where I was in the wrong lane but it appears as I was driving in the EZ pass lanes. I called the Pennsylvania Turnpike office to inquire about the violation.
The person I spoke to was very kind and accommodating. He explained that there are open EZ Pass lanes & I should have gone to the right to pay the toll at a cash booth. I guess I missed the sign. He was very helpful and asked if I had the toll tickets from the trip. I explained that I threw everything in the garbage when I returned home. I suppose he could reduce the cost based on the miles I travelled on the turnpike.
He told me he just got off the phone with someone else that had just experienced the same problem.
Just thought I would post this for others travelling in Pennsylvania to watch the signs carefully so this doesn't happen to you.
It can be a costly mistake.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
10 REPLIES 10

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
We just returned from a vacation in the Pennsylvania area. When we returned home we received a EZ Pass Violation notice. The amount due was $126.90. Going by the date on the notice we were travelling from Stroudsburg area to Washington DC. I'm not sure how or where I was in the wrong lane but it appears as I was driving in the EZ pass lanes. I called the Pennsylvania Turnpike office to inquire about the violation.
The person I spoke to was very kind and accommodating. He explained that there are open EZ Pass lanes & I should have gone to the right to pay the toll at a cash booth. I guess I missed the sign. He was very helpful and asked if I had the toll tickets from the trip. I explained that I threw everything in the garbage when I returned home. I suppose he could reduce the cost based on the miles I travelled on the turnpike.
He told me he just got off the phone with someone else that had just experienced the same problem.
Just thought I would post this for others travelling in Pennsylvania to watch the signs carefully so this doesn't happen to you.

I see that you're from Ontario, and I discovered that even us Canucks are eligible to get an EZ Pass transponder. Unlike the 407ETR (ugh!), EZ Pass New York doesn't charge for the transponder. All that's required is that you keep a small amount of money in your EZ Pass account (I think $25), so that when you use a toll highway that's part of the EZ Pass system, (most states in the eastern U.S.), the toll charge is automatically subtracted from your account. We travel in the states from time to time and really appreciate the convenience of EZ Pass. A further benefit is that it's accepted on the Canadian side of the Buffalo-Fort Erie border crossing, with a small discount.

Might be something for you to consider.....

Happy camping.

Thanks for the info. I wondered how the transponder worked. I may get an EZ Pass transponder if it's that easy to obtain.
I had a billing problem with the 407 that took months to resolve. I no longer use it.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:

I see that you're from Ontario, and I discovered that even us Canucks are eligible to get an EZ Pass transponder. Unlike the 407ETR (ugh!), EZ Pass New York doesn't charge for the transponder. All that's required is that you keep a small amount of money in your EZ Pass account (I think $25), so that when you use a toll highway that's part of the EZ Pass system, (most states in the eastern U.S.), the toll charge is automatically subtracted from your account. We travel in the states from time to time and really appreciate the convenience of EZ Pass. A further benefit is that it's accepted on the Canadian side of the Buffalo-Fort Erie border crossing, with a small discount.

Might be something for you to consider.....

Happy camping.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
Dennis M M wrote:
Same thing around Chicago, and other areas, on toll roads. Main lanes are iPass/EZPass. For cash payment you have to go off into a toll booth. Signage is pretty good in IL.

Does this mean you exit the highway to pay the toll?

No. You just veer to extreme right and stop at toll booth. Then merge back into the toll road traffic.

Thanks. I'll keep a better watch next time.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
grampscamper wrote:
Dennis M M wrote:
Same thing around Chicago, and other areas, on toll roads. Main lanes are iPass/EZPass. For cash payment you have to go off into a toll booth. Signage is pretty good in IL.

No. You just veer to extreme right and stop at toll booth. Then merge back into the toll road traffic.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I must have taken the EZ Pass express lane without noticing the sign. Oh well. Live and learn. Just another memorable RV experience.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
slay wrote:
Best to take down the transponder and pay cash.

I just take off the plates and go.....:B:B:B......Dennis

Just kidding of course....D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
slay wrote:
If so, at the southern end of the extension where it intersects with the main line of the Turnpike, there are EZ-Pass express lanes if you are continuing south on I-476. If you go through there without an EZ-Pass transponder you are going to get flagged.

I travel this route now & then and yes, the "EZ-Pass Only" lanes can easily be taken by mistake.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just guessing here, but did you use the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension to travel from the Stroudsburg area to the Philadelphia area? If so, at the southern end of the extension where it intersects with the main line of the Turnpike, there are EZ-Pass express lanes if you are continuing south on I-476. If you go through there without an EZ-Pass transponder you are going to get flagged.

Several highways in the northeast -- the Pa. Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey and Rt. 1 in Delaware for example -- have EZ-Pass express lanes that read your transponder as you continue without slowing down.

By the way, if you are driving a motor home and towing a car, EZ-Pass isn't always the cheapest. I know at the Delaware River crossings on I-78 and I-80 between New Jersey and Pennsylvania EZ-Pass will overcharge you. Best to take down the transponder and pay cash.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure