cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadtrip planning site?

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
What roadtrip planning site do you use? Looking for something that maybe has hour markers or an easy way to add overnights stops at certain points. For example; driving from northern California to Florida is around 45 hours. If I want to drive 10 hours a day and then just find an rv park to stop at for the night around the 10 hour mark. I used Roadtrippers.com for a trip through OR and it was a lot of adding waypoints to try and find the right places for stops. Would be much easier if I could see hour markers and I just pick an estimated hour of when I would like to stop for the day. Of course I understand these estimates are not including the places I want to visit.
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rand McNally road atlas used to have distance & time between points inside the front cover area somewhere.

Can't that hard to do a guesstimation. 500 miles a day & plot it off using dividers (the nautical thinghy) or a length of string on a map.

What did we do before the internet?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I use a combination of sources. I suscribe to RV Trip Wizard which I find to be very useful in trip planning. I also use Good Sam trip planner, Google Maps,Passport America trip planner and Google Earth to check out RV parks, campgrounds, etc. By using various resources I am able to plan my trip with the information that provides me with food, gas, rest areas,overnight sites, etc. It works very well for my needs. Travel safe and Happy Camping!

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, you have given me some good advice. I am going to take a look at the Good Sam trip planner, sounds like just what I am looking for. I am a planner and I need to plan out all my stops. Traveling with 3 kids I don't want to run into a situation where I cannot find a place or need to run around to several places before I find something suitable.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Trip Planer warned me about no-propane in the Boston tunnels and a few low bridge warnings.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam trip planner along with RVparky app
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

RGWC362
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Trip Planner works well for us

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

We always just drove until mid-afternoon, the latest and then decided on where we would stop. We didn't stress ourselves with reservations. It worked for us. 🙂

I also stopped mid-afternoon but I made reservations to NOT stress myself. always knew a site I wanted would be available. not a mad scramble at check in time.
bumpy

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Delorme will do this easily. However, you can never go by this. You need to take into account road construction, possible breakdowns, fuels stops, etc.

We always just drove until mid-afternoon, the latest and then decided on where we would stop. We didn't stress ourselves with reservations. It worked for us. 🙂

I did a 7000 miles road trip like that last month (December) and it was great! A lot less stress than the 11,000 mile trip I did in 2014 to Alaska where I tried to plan everything day by day.

I did plot a route using Streets, to get idea where I'd be after X miles, but I didn't bother with reservations.

Saw 10 national parks in 28 days, it was great 🙂 I'm not much of a "stayer"... a few days at a location is enough for me to see the highlights, and then onto the next spectacle. The idea of staying more than a week in a single spot is something i'd never consider.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Delorme will do this easily. However, you can never go by this. You need to take into account road construction, possible breakdowns, fuels stops, etc.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the ride planner on the Harley Davidson website. You can also upload it to Garmin GPS. Give it a shot: Ride Planner

You can drag to change routes, upload to GPS, Show points of interest etc
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
I use http://trips.goodsamclub.com/ and Delorme Topo North America.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
As old as it is, I find Microsoft Streets 2013 still a valuable tool for planning long trips.

You tell it how many hours you want to drive, plus a fudge factor and it will mark overnight stops on the map along your route. You can also tell it how often you want to take a break. If your number is every hour, plug that in and it'll mark those spots on the map.

You can search for POI around the markers, as well as set your own overnight stops if you want to stop early or push on.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old copy of trailer life rv campgrounds for planning all of my trips, with or without my RV.
bumpy