cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sue once again for helping everyone stay informed.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The Alaska Highway is CLOSED south of Fort Nelson this afternoon (Wed July ๐Ÿ˜Ž due to a forest fire. http://drivebc.ca/

Highway 97 Both directions - Closed in both directions from Mile 240 (KM 386) to Mile 260 (KM 418) at Big Beaver Creek between Prophet River and Fort Nelson because of Forest Fire.
Next update by 9:00 pm.
Updated on Wed Jul 8 at 6:43 pm PDT.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Northbound and down- 10 wheels rollin (with 3 spares). Left Georgia 4 days ago. Now in Cheyenne headed to Anc/AK and numerous points in between.

Watch for us. DW has sign on the back window of the toad!

Americanrascal
Joe and Joy

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone with an first hand knowledge of the Elliott, Steese, and Dalton Highways this year? We are hoping to head north from Fairbanks in the next few days.

The smoke today between Healy and Fairbanks was awful. Fairbanks isn't so great either but the weatherman said it should clear up some tomorrow.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
double post

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It is a big enough deal that your RV can be seized at the border, along with the firearm. The law allows for any vehicle to be impounded if it is used for the crime. There's an auction each year of seized items, so folks can get some good stuff at reduced cost.

My hubby's cousin experienced this first hand, at the Peace Arch crossing. He tried to convince the border agents that he forgot he had the handgun in his RV's center console. That didn't work.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
From another thread:

This is taken from today's Thunder Bay Chronicle Journal.

Border officials deal with rash of guns at Port of Entry

Saturday, July 4, 2015
Thunder Bay Chronicle-Journal

A Missouri man has a court date in Fort Frances later this month to deal with charges following yet another seizure of a handgun at the townโ€™s border crossing by Canadian inspectors. Itโ€™s the eighth time a gun has been seized at the Fort Frances border so far this year, compared to three seizures for all of 2014.

Border investigators said they found a loaded .22 calibre revolver in the glove compartment of the manโ€™s truck during a search on June 24 during an attempt to enter Ontario.

He was later charged under the federal Customs Act with non-report of goods, wilful evasion, possession of illegally imported goods and smuggling, a Canada Border Services Agency said in a news release on Friday.

CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said the number of handgun seizures at the Fort Frances border varies from year to year. โ€œKeeping firearms out of our community is our highest priority, so itโ€™s something weโ€™re focused on all the time,โ€ Kealey said.

The accused was released on a US$300 recognizance. He is to appear in court on July 27.

The lesson here is that failing to declare a firearm at a Canadian Border Crossing is a big deal.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on "the moose is loose". Apple fritters are wonderful!

Okie_Lady_Trave
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going down to Homer, you might want to stop by the "Moose is Loose" Bakery in Soldtna. We have hit many bakeries across Canada and Alaska and this is our favorite so far. We are leaving Homer today and will be stopping back by there again. If coming from the east, after the second light down a ways on the north (right), next to Aaron's. Turn in on the east side and there is room to park at the back of the parking lot. We did have to turn around but our 36' 5th wheel made it okay. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Some good fire news this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/AK.Forestry?fref=ts

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
For those heading into the Chena area...check the Facebook fire thread.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll most likely get your views on your return trip. Sure hope so!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from Dawson City to Fairbanks via the Top of the World and Taylor Highways over the last two days. There was a bit of haze when we left Dawson, but the smoke built pretty quickly so there were very limited views on TOW and no views on Taylor. On the road from Delta Junction and here in Fairbanks, the smoke is thick enough that you can't tell there are mountains around. We are disappointed to have missed the scenery on the drive, but we are having fun anyway.

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Been offline for a while, Version service pretty much none in Canada, up the highway. Observations on the trip so far. Everything in Canada is 20% off because of the exchange rate, much nicer than the last time we visited Canada, exchange rate was not in our favor. Rv parks are mostly gravel and fine for an overnight, nice Provincial parks. Get some Canadian dollars to pay for the parks. Road is pretty good, we traveled at 55 to 60 most of the time to Testlin, then about 45 to 50 to Cotton Wood Park on the south end of Kulane Lake. Best view of any RV park we have ever stayed, owners Mary Ann and Glen keep a very clean park and are nice and friendly. From Cotton Wood to Destruction Bay about 40 mph. After there it was sometimes 30 to 35 due to the frost heaves, sometimes slower or faster. There were several short the pavement breaks, gravel for 25 to 50 yards. There are 2 long construction zones, 15 and 29 kilometers, close to the Alaska border in Canada. We drove the construction zones at 15 to 20 mph, and slower. Faster and the washboard will shake everything. One time we were first behind the pilot car and she pulled away from us by 1/4 mile till she realized that I was not going to drive 35 mph, she slowed down to my speed. We were passed by many 5 wheels, trailers and some gas motor homes. One 5th wheel passed us in the frost heaves area, the rear wheels came off the ground as he flew over the heaves. One day in the frost heaves area I only got to 6th gear 2 times, mostly in 4th and 5th due to road conditions. Drove from Border City RV park, (not anything like Church or Milepost said), but fine for a $25 overnight. Do not use the 2 spots close to the building, bad power, go to the marked RV area. I would not cross their bridge to the lower RV park.
Lots to do in Fairbanks, did the Riverboat, fine for a one time look up the river, got tired of the commentator's "Paul Harvey" style, perhaps that is why Harvey did a 5 minute show on the radio at noon. Fountainhead Auto museum is well worth the fee, $10 I think. Many Pebble Beach Concours winners. 70 cars from 1889 to 1938, and period clothing by the cars. Rented a raft for a 4 hour float down the Chena River, nice. Smoke in Fairbanks, was pretty thick when we left Yesterday. In Healy RV and Motel, fine park, nice owners. Not much smoke here, never saw a fire or a closed road. More as we progress toward the Kenai. Newalla Bus
On edit; we are at Denali RV and Motel, south of Healy, north of the park. R

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
What is with this never ending "Roll Call" EVERY year? Page after page after page. Who reads this stuff? Wondering why the moderator never shuts it down after 10-15 pages. Come next January 1st it will be time to start "Roll Call 2016" and start It all over again. Not trying to be a Scrooge. Just wondering.

Don't understand why you have a problem with these type posts. This is the "RVing in Alaska and Canada" forum. Each of these threads are certainly relevant to that so why should they be closed.

I personally enjoy reading all the comments as it reminds me of things in our two previous trips to Alaska and looking forward to next time.

If you are subscribed to the thread just unsubscribe and ignore it.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet