cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The bus to Wonder Lake stops in at the Eielson Visitor Center for a while. I had enough time to hike down the hill to the valley, take some photos, hike back up the hill, and then on the bus. Not sure I'd be tempted to take a second trip just to see the Eielson Visitor Center again.

See pictures from the Wonder Lake trip http://yukonsights.ca/20100906_Denali.html

This was the view of Denali from Wonder Lake that day

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
Denali reservations: I will be spending 5 days at the park in Healy. I am planning a bus trip to Wonder Lake and back which I have read is an 11 hour round trip, and another day I would like to go to Eielson Visitors center and just look around.

From the seasoned vets here: how far in advance should these reservations?

As always,

Thanks

GGeorge

I went for the long trip and for the short twice. If you have 5 days, why not. It is shorter if you stay at Teclanika an take the bus from there. You can up on up off if you want too. You might see more animals as you make it there.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
Denali reservations: I will be spending 5 days at the park in Healy. I am planning a bus trip to Wonder Lake and back which I have read is an 11 hour round trip, and another day I would like to go to Eielson Visitors center and just look around.

As always,

Thanks

GGeorge

G

I wouldn't waste your time and money on the long trip to Wonder Lake. Been on the short tour and the long one and the short is more then enough of the park for my taste. Nothing at WL but a small parking lot and small lake. You stand around for a short time then creap your way back to the departure point.

Last time I went on the short tour we saw lots, wolf pack stalking a Caribou and taking it down for a hot meal. Grizzly bears and many other critters.

But it's your call. Just some advice.

George
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:

As always,

Thanks

GGeorge

I am no expert as we are only on our second trip this year. However, in 2014 we made our camping reservations the week before we arrived in Denali. We purchased our tour bus tickets to the visitors center the day before.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer

As always,

Thanks

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
richardsr wrote:
thanks stu, we are going to yellowstone and glacier then head north.we went to alaska in 2012 and had a great time. we reserved yesterday a flight over denali with k2 avaition. hope to see you on road. sincerly, richard

Good luck with your flight reservation. The weather for the mountain is very iffy; lots of time they're on standby.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

richardsr
Explorer
Explorer
thanks stu, we are going to yellowstone and glacier then head north.we went to alaska in 2012 and had a great time. we reserved yesterday a flight over denali with k2 avaition. hope to see you on road. sincerly, richard

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
richardsr wrote:
we will be starting on our trip the middle of june 2016

we plan to leave North Caroline in mid June also. hope to see you on the road.

stu
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to leave end of May
Waited for a long time go and finally ready!
Clandeboye , Manitoba

Pjb024
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are headed up 1 June in our 31 foot Class A motorhome for a 60 day excursion. We will cross the boarder just north of Great Falls, WY and travel thru Calgary, Dawson Creek, Tok, Fairbanks, and Anchorage. Our southern descent is still undetermined.

Paul

Tfmccuin
Explorer
Explorer
We're in. Leaving vt June 1 back home September 1. This will be our second trip. First was 2011. Doing the Dempster,the Dalton and TOW.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
Questions for those that live there or have been there:

1) Which is the best fishing port for halibut, Homer or Seward?
2) Where should one purchase a Canada Parks Pass?
3) Does anyone know how much the park passes are for 2016?
4) I have read banks are the best place to exchange money, Are the border towns equipped for these transactions?
GGeorge

http://www.pc.gc.ca/
For park passes, now 2 years for one price, $138 CA for family.
Good deal for Americans. Can buy online or at park entrances.
Cash from ATM's which are everywhere. Interac or Cirrus.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Prairie Wanderer wrote:
lizzie,
Add the Prairie Wanderer to the 2016 Roll Call Alaska list. 3rd trip in three years and as excited as the first trip. Departing Minnesota late June and planning on leaving Alaska late September. We spend a lot of our time in the Anchorage area at our son and daughter-in-laws, bonding with our grandson and celebrating his 2nd birthday. Hope to see some of you on the road! Travel safe, Mark and Zee Anne

Duly noted. Watch for your name next week. lizzie

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Sally is a busy bee this morning making reservations with BC parks as today is the opening day so their site is SLOW.

Then we'll make a couple nights layover in Tok, AK to connect with some of you at the crossroads there.

-George
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Prairie_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie,
Add the Prairie Wanderer to the 2016 Roll Call Alaska list. 3rd trip in three years and as excited as the first trip. Departing Minnesota late June and planning on leaving Alaska late September. We spend a lot of our time in the Anchorage area at our son and daughter-in-laws, bonding with our grandson and celebrating his 2nd birthday. Hope to see some of you on the road! Travel safe, Mark and Zee Anne