cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route 66, Kingman to Needles

jgama
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of a little taste of Route 66. Which would be best; from Kingman to Needles or Needles to Ludlow? Opinions will be appreciated.
Jim and Karen
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Cougar 295EFS
13 REPLIES 13

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks for the correction. Rick Antonson wrote Route 66 Still Kicks.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Are towing that trailer listed in your signature? The problem section would be from Oatman to just pass Cool Spring heading east. There are some tight curves and narrow road. Here's a link to that section but going west bound, me and my DW.
Kingman to Oatman west bound

If your not bothered by those road conditions, have fun. Kingman to Seligman, Az. has many sight to see if your going that far.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jgama
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
How about AZ66 east of Kingman? Looks like it would be more interesting than the Mojave Desert piece, but without the old mountainous segment of the Oatman route.

http://www.historic66.com/arizona/det-az4.html

Looks interesting paulj. Others mentioned east of Kingman as well. I will look into this route and west of Needles as well. Thanks to all who responded.
Jim and Karen
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Cougar 295EFS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about AZ66 east of Kingman? Looks like it would be more interesting than the Mojave Desert piece, but without the old mountainous segment of the Oatman route.

http://www.historic66.com/arizona/det-az4.html

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the original 1926 pavement?

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
jgama wrote:
Thinking of a little taste of Route 66. Which would be best; from Kingman to Needles or Needles to Ludlow? Opinions will be appreciated.

The best road is between Needles and Goffs
The neat thing about the Oatman route is that it is the Original 1926 route

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

grandpaswagon
Explorer
Explorer
livelylittlecampers wrote:
I would love to do the Route 66 Trip. I recommend that you read ROUTE 66 Still Kicks by Rick Atkinson. Great travel with lots of history and the narrative of his own trip.

Best--Jeremy

Rick Atkinson is a marvelous author who writes about military history.

You mean this author:

http://www.ebooks.com/1321250/route-66-still-kicks/antonson-rick/

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
for the kingman to needles route:
stay in Kingman; park your rig there and take your toad. omit needles and when you get through Oatman, either turn around and go back over the same route, or go into Bullhead City and take 95 north and return to Kingman on a much better highway.
then, if you're going west, use I 40 to get down to Needles.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Oatman east over the pass towards Kingman is a fantastic scenic drive. No way I'd do it with any trailer at all or a MH over 26'. It is steep, narrow and with many sharp curves. In other words fantastic. There is no rv parking room.
You will want to stop at the few pull outs and do photos, hikes, reflect on the courage and resolve of the miners and those hardy souls bound to California during the great depression.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's only two things to see between Kingman and Needles....Oatman, with it's mules and donkeys, (watch your dog, they do not like em) and the War Heroes Memorial, (makeshift memorial with flags, boots etc)...the rest is just desert. Best section for Route 66 in Arizona is east of Flagstaff, from Seligman to Holbrook......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
The road between Kingman and Needles on the Kingman side of Oatman is narrow, steep, and windy but doable, just be careful. I haven't been on the Ludlow section but I think it's pretty straight and out in the open but I'll bet the surface is poor.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to do the Route 66 Trip. I recommend that you read ROUTE 66 Still Kicks by Rick Atkinson. Great travel with lots of history and the narrative of his own trip.

Best--Jeremy

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can drive both on Google Maps Streetview.

The Oatman section has a zigzag piece with broken pavement down a mountainous section. The Calif section is mostly long and straight, with some good modern pavement, and some older patched sections.