cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SW Oregon to Wisconsin in November

K_n_J_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
Help folks, we have sold our house in SW Oregon and are moving to Wisconsin on November 11, taking the fifth wheel. We must be in western Wisconsin on November 29 to close on our new house.

We are not winter saavy, having lived in So. Cal and SW Oregon. Looking for your input on the best route. If possible, we would prefer to use the fifth wheel for overnights as long as we can. Is that even possible? We would winterize enroute if needed.

Thanks for your experienced input.
10 REPLIES 10

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to Wisconsin

You got here just in time for our first cool snap.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to Wisconsin, glad you had a safe trip.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

K_n_J_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
Well we made it! Today we will arrive at destination - thanks for all your input. Even though the 10 day forecasts across 80 looked good, we decided to simplify and winterize before we left and hotel it every night. The weather, of course, was fabulous. We made it in 7 days and now can relax - until our household goods arrive after we close on the new house at the end of the month. New adventures in store for us in our new home.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
While most campgrounds may be closed or offer "minimum service" (usually meaning electric & tv), there are still enough of those open to make a trip doable that time of year.

I would certainly stay on interstates as much as possible. Also keeping a keen eye on the weather would be advised. Reservations at a campground each night would be prudent.

Good luck and be safe.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd winterize your supply lines, and have some bottled water onhand for dish washing & toilets. Your black and grey tanks will freeze, but that's not something I get concerned with as long as the tanks are minimally filled and it stays frozen while we're moving.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

K_n_J_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you will need to winterize, and probably before you get to central Oregon.

Weather is a definite concern that time of year, especially in Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa & Minnesota. If you can take your time, you may be able to get there in time for closing on the new house with a minimum of stress, and some extra days for layovers in case of bad weather. Not just snow but ice (sometimes black ice, which is dangerous because you don't see it until you're on it) and wind are your enemies during the cold months on the plains.

80 is out of your way but more likely than 90 to have a bit warmer temperatures, perhaps. Along I-80, just checking KOAs, there are a few that are open in late November, noting that they offer "limited services" during the winter months: West Omaha NE, Cheyenne WY, Rock Springs WY, & Laramie WY. Others that might lie along your route(s) that are open all year: Boise/Meridian and Pocatello ID, Redmond OR, Waterloo IA, Sioux City North (SD), and one that might be near where you are moving to, Hixton-Alma Center WI. That's just KOAs; there may very well be other private campgrounds open as well, though the majority will not. State parks will most likely be closed all along the way.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Where in WI? Weather here varies depending on how close to Lake Michigan or how far north vs. south.

I'm sure RV parks along most of your trip will be closed, even on the alternate route you are considering. In fact I40 and I70 are all through the mountains. I think they already have snow there.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

K_n_J_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the Grants Pass area and have traveled to the midwest several times over the years, but it was in Spring/Summer/early Fall.

We were considering 80 - but wondered about the availability of RV parks being open that late along that route. And, of course, getting out there and caught in some massive winter weather.

We are also considering dropping all the way down to 40 and across before coming back up, either to 70 across eastern Colorado and Nebraska or maybe all the way to Oklahoma City before heading north on 35.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
SW where? Shortest would probsbly be 140 east to 395 south to I80. But weather this time of year is going to dictate travel.