cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel through Atlanta

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have tips or ideas about getting through Atlanta? We are heading to Ft Meyers from Ohio on I-75 and will be going through Atlanta on Monday Nov 27th late morning. We (my wife and I) have a 5th wheel. I just dread the thought of going through there.
Thanks, Jim
15 REPLIES 15

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
jimwooster wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:
We don't go thru Atlanta any more we use US 27. Plenty of ACOE CG's along the way.

Where do you pick up 27? Where to you get back on heading south?
Thanks

Get off at exit 293 and take sr 113 to sr 6 and take the bypass around Cedartown.
We stay on US 27 to I-10 and take I-10 east to SR 19, Thomasville Hwy. SR 19 dumps you into US 19/98/alt 27. Stay on US19/98 into Ft Meyers. As an option.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Late morning I would stay on I75 and go through Atlanta and not get on the perimeter I285. Stay in the next land to the last on the right as there are exit only lanes.

I agree with the first part.....but not the second.
Semi trucks are forbidden through downtown....except for local deliveries....so that makes it a bit better.

From about 10A to 2P is the best. But like any major Interstate, a bad crash can shut it all down. It's a **** shoot but "normal" traffic is not that bad. Honestly. (My daughter lives there.)

As for lane usage, the ramps on the right are a maze. I think there is one place where you will encounter 3 exit onlys one after another.
So I recommend staying as far left as you are comfortable but not the far left one.

And finally.....if driving a rig in any big city traffic is REALLY a problem for you, then avoid it and use a different route. Most of the time, Atlanta isn't much worse than Nashville or Chattanooga; sometimes not as bad.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
After having lived in that area for 15 years, I would agree that the traffic can be horrible. However, unless there is a major wreck going on, I wouldn't take a long detour around just to avoid traffic. Straight through on I-75 is best, and like was mentioned before, stay 2 lanes from the right. Even if traffic gets slow, it's still quicker and easier than trying to detour around on secondary roads.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Go straight through on I-75. Keep 2 lanes to your left, every thing to the right will exit.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Late morning I would stay on I75 and go through Atlanta and not get on the perimeter I285. Stay in the next land to the last on the right as there are exit only lanes.

Concur !

The only thing better is plan to get there early, before 6AM, or late, after 8PM.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
jimwooster wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:
We don't go thru Atlanta any more we us US 27. Plenty of ACOE CG's along the way.

Thanks

I used to get off of I75 at Calhoun GA, cut over to highway 53 and that took me to US27. You can take US27 all the way to FL, or if you are going to the Panama City area cut off at Colquitt on highway 91 through Donalsonville, then pick up 71 in Malone FL south to Port St. Joe and US98 takes you either way. Good roads, fuel stops no problem either.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah DON’T

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

This is always our plan when going through ATL and have had good luck with it.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed at length in previous posts. We always use the bypass.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on just going straight through Atlanta; I went through late morning on a weekday, and it was actually stress free as the traffic could only go about 35-40 mph. Only added about 15 mins to my trip (as opposed to bypass). Get on the bypass and you'll be fighting with everyone going 80 plus.

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
We don't go thru Atlanta any more we us US 27. Plenty of ACOE CG's along the way.

Thanks

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We went through there last year late morning mid week with the camper. It was a slow go on the north side till I got to the split for bypass. From that point traffic was fine. I did notice that staying in the right lanes were much slower and then discovered why. Apparently all semis have to use the bypass. I think if I stay on the left lanes I might be ok. Is that a good strategy? I think since there's two of us I can even use the HOV lanes. Any tips? Thanks Jim

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin