cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traveling thru Dallas eastward...

wanderone
Explorer
Explorer
In the next couple of days we'll be traveling through Texas on the I-20 eastward with our travel trailer. Looking at a map, the Dallas/Fort Worth road system looks horrendous. I could use some advice. Should I just stay on the I-20 and just go through it or take an alternate route? I'm aware there's rain in the forecast, too.
12 REPLIES 12

wanderone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your suggestions and made it to Vicksburg, Miss. yesterday. Stayed on the I-20 and avoided the rush hour traffic in the afternoon, barely. Texas roads were great until driving through Louisiana at the start but conditions were better halfway through the state. Heading south to New Orleans in a couple of days. thanks again-:)

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
As noted, no tolls.
Approaching Ft Worth from the west make sure you take I-20 at the I-20/I-30 split. You do not want to accidentally get on I-30 as that one goes thru downtown Ft Worth and downtown Dallas.

On the east side of Dallas after crossing I-45 ease over to the 2 left lanes as 20 is left at 175/635 split

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As noted, no tolls.
Approaching Ft Worth from the west make sure you take I-20 at the I-20/I-30 split. You do not want to accidentally get on I-30 as that one goes thru downtown Ft Worth and downtown Dallas.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Just stay on I-20,!

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
There are no tolls.

wanderone
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the I-20 is favorable. My plan is to go to through between 10am & 2pm. I forgot to ask about tolls. Are there any thru this corridor? Do they take credit cards? When you approach a toll, what does it mean when the sign says: 'no trailers'? Are they referring to the big rigs only? Thanks for your suggestions.

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I worked for a brief time on the North East side of Dallas and lived West of Fort Worth just off of I-20. There were many alternative routes to work but I found that I-20 was the best. Yes, there can occasionally be an accident, etc, but in general you will be better off just taking I-20. Of course it depends on where exactly you are heading, but if you plan on continuing on I-20 to Louisiana or beyond then just stay on it.

tmoore2
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX has good advice. During the rush hours I20 through Arlington which is half way between Ft Worth and Dallas will be very busy. The morning rush hour West bound and the evening East are the worst.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with daamac. I-20 bypasses most of Ft Worth and Dallas miles to the south of each downtown area. Just make sure you miss weekday rush hours of 6:30-9:00 am and 3:30-6:30 pm.
Following I-20 is really pretty simple as far as highway interchanges go.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled with my trailer in both directions on I20 through Dallas. I20 is actually south of most of the metroplex of Dallas-Ft Worth. It certainly can have slow-downs, but usually it is not terrible. But expect a lot of traffic, all of which will want to go faster than you probably will. Avoid AM and PM rush hours for sure.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
depends on the time of day tough spots are 35e and 45 n I like i 20 or i 30 Been a while but I think its a left turn on 35 so you may want to stay in the middle lane or right Lane not possible on that I may be thinking of I 30 Anyway, its not as bad as you think if you just go in knowing it may be a slow go

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
Where are coming from? If you're already on I20 you might as well stay on it. Timing is important; either come through before 6:00 a.m. or around 9:00 a.m. The weekend is best. We're headed that way next Friday for a quick visit to Louisiana.