Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling to Canada,need info

ccmacon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance for help,
Will be traveling to Pincher creek,Alberta, in about 2 weeks,,crossing at SweetGrass,
34'fifth wheel,I have passport ,will I need anything else,is there a better place to cross?
Thanks
20012, 34' Sunnybrook 5er,2005 Chevy 2500 duramax
20 REPLIES 20

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
With a name like that, you gotta visit it!

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you go to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump, you'll more than likely watch the movie they show and then go from there in the building. There's a camp ground not too far from there, if you so choose. There's a campground right in Pincher Creek also. By the way it's not the Buffalo they're talking about, it's a young brave who had his head smashed in and that will be told to you. If you want to make a long distance call, phone the Canadian Customs or whatever we call them nowadays and ask your questions.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:

world heritage site

smashed in head- natives drove herds over the cliff-

result smashedinhead
That's according to the provincial government because they couldn't sell the real story...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

world heritage site

smashed in head- natives drove herds over the cliff-

result smashedinhead
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
BTW Head Smashed In Head Buffalo Jump which is nearby was interesting. They have a overflow parking lot for rigs and shuttle.

lol, what?!? Is that a park or something?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Head Smashed In Head Buffalo Jump which is nearby was interesting. They have a overflow parking lot for rigs and shuttle.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We call Verizon before crossing the border and get access for $15 a month extra.

Bob

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be conncerned about much going to Pincher Creek. Little prairie town on the edge of the mountains just down the highway from us here in Calgary. Just so you know it can be the windiest place on earth too and home to hundreds of windmills. Beware when the wind blows to be careful on the driving. Many trailers and semis find themselves blown in the ditch. Winds of 60mph and more are like an everyday occurence there.
As far as what to bring yes it changes a little from day to day but in general leave the fruits and veggies as they are on the hit list most of the time. Meat is pretty good right now but can change as soon as someone finds a mad cow out there.
As mentioned earlier leave your guns and firewood at home too or you will get hassled at the border.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, international roaming charges can be very expensive (both ways, Canada and the US). It's best to get an add-on to your plan or a pay-as-yo-go SIM from a Canadian provider.

With regards to food restrictions, things change all the time so we are never sure what's on the current no-no list. Lately we have been taking everything from our home fridge (after running quantities down to minimum in preparation for the trip) and if asked, declare what's in the RV fridge. If some of the stuff gets taken and dumped at the border it's not a problem for us as the disposal is free at the border but it costs us at home!

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
Also ask for a Canadian insurance card for your vehicles from your insurance company. They are pretty easy to obtain.

Your cell phone, if you take one, you should verify with your carrier what charges there are for Canada. I know Sprint has a small add-on and it dramatically lowers call and text rates. Otherwise the international roaming charges are very expensive.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the mood of the border guard, you might want to not bring any fresh fruit or meats. Just plan on buying that stuff when you get there. Just have pre-packaged food on board. I have not quite figured out the deal with fruit and meat, so we just don't have it on board when we cross.

Don't joke with the border guard. Again, this can depend on the guard. Have your passport ready - they are usually not interested in your driver's license. Also have your vehicle registration and insurance ready. They might ask what the license plate numbers are - don't panic if you don't remember, a lot of the questions are really just to see your reactions and see if they get odd responses. You also might get a couple questions that are just different versions of earlier questions - they are just seeing if your answers match (I was first asked what day were we returning... last question was "how many days are you staying?"...).

Don't panic if your camper gets pulled over to be inspected. Usually it is just a quick walk through, seems random most times as far as I can tell.

We've been to Niagara Falls twice the last few years. It is a BUSY border crossing in that area, so my experience comes from that. The border guards are just looking for things out of the ordinary and suspicious. One day the guard might be joking around a bit, the next day they might be all serious business.

Have fun, we've enjoyed our visits to Canada!

ccmacon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replays ,very helpful

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Also....If you or any of your passengers have any type of criminal record, including a DUI, no matter how long ago something happened, you/they are likely to be denied access into Canada. Tell the truth, they already know the answer when you are asked. Have a great trip!

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
ccmacon wrote:
Height is 10'6", no pets ,no firearms,didn't know if needed anything special pulling Rv
You sure about that height?
I can't find a 2012 Sunny under 11' 11", most are over 12', some as high as 12' 9".
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.