cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arizona Dust Storms Fri-Sat. Pull Aside - Stay Alive.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
With a storm approaching the area this weekend, the NWS has posted a watch for strong winds and dust storms in the desert SW. If you plan on driving on I-10 or similar areas in Arizona or New Mexico, use caution and keep an eye the weather reports.

We have people killed on I-10 every year in these dust storms. If you are caught in one please heed the advice in the attached link.

Pull Aside - Stay Alive!

When you click on the video on the link, it will play multiple short videos of Arizona dust storms. Very interesting.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
7 REPLIES 7

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had the experience of this dust storm thing as yet. Seems to me that if states can enact laws regarding "lights on when raining" then maybe it should be state law to pull over when in a dust storm so that no one is moving in a 0 visability event. Just sayin.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Ah. O.k. Thanks. Good to know,
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
I'm curious why the PSA says turn off lights and hazards. Why? Thanks.

(We drove through one in Texas panhandle decades ago in the wood paneled station wagon. We didn't pull over. It was frightening!!)

You turn off your lights so folks who are driving will not see you. If you have them on folks driving see the lights and want to follow you. When they figure out you are stopped it is to late and they run into you.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious why the PSA says turn off lights and hazards. Why? Thanks.

(We drove through one in Texas panhandle decades ago in the wood paneled station wagon. We didn't pull over. It was frightening!!)
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. we were just south of Casa Grande in March. we were in a dust storm and just on the west side of the road about 200 yards over was one of the infamous haboobs. as it moved toward the road it was obliterating the view of the houses as it moved over the housing development.
Pull over, turn off your lights and wait it out. will be fast than the time consumed if you have a wreck

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't pull over, the dust can also clog the engine and cause overheating. Best to pull over. It's not the same as fog.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. The area on I-10 north of Tucson around Picacho Peak and Casa Grande is especially bad. We've been in a couple of dust storms there and it's a very scary feeling. Safe travels everyone!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel