cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WY, UT, AZ - Teton to Grand Canyon scenic route advice

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 2-3 month trip from the east coast to the west, then back. We have two weeks planned to travel from Teton down to the Grand Canyon, and would like to see Zion, Arches, Monument Valley, and??, along the way. I’m looking for some advice on good scenic routes to travel to keep off the interstates. Scenic two lane blacktop is my choice, but I’ll use the interstates if there isn’t a great scenic choice or we need to makeup time.

So between Teton and the Grand Canyon, are they any really good scenic routes I should make sure I travel on? Any real standouts that I can plan routes between the various landmarks and parks? We will be traveling in a 20’ Class B van so most any road won’t pose a issue (even Sitgreaves Pass out of Oatman AZ which is on our list).

Also, any suggestions on exceptional boondocking would be welcome. We are planning on a mix of campgrounds, BLM, overnight parking, as situations dictate. If there are some exception boondocking locations, we will try to work those in the plan.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
More good info, thanks so much. It's going to be a great trip for sure!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
With your Class B, a do-not-miss drive in Yellowstone would be US 212 from Red Lodge to Cooke City, MT. It is called the Beartooth Highway and is one of the most spectacular drives in the U.S.

If, as several people have suggested, you do take US 191 south from Jackson, WY, a great campground is the USFS Granite Creek Campground a few miles east of the highway and south of Hoback Junction. It is on a long gravel road, but has some spectacular views the surrounding mountains. We had a campsite with a water hookup, but there are no other hookups and no dump. However, this cg may be too close to Jackson for your trip.

We also stayed at the USFS Firemen's Memorial CG on US 191 in the Uinta Mountains of Utah. Nice cg, but the dump fee is not included in the cg fee (it is operated by a concessionaire). But there are some spectacular views of Flaming Gorge Reservoir from the highway. And the Utah Fieldhouse Museum in Vernal is definitely worth a several hour stop.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
And, although there are several routes you could take between Grand Teton and Grand Canyon, don't miss the drive on UT 12 between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon.

Added this as a must do, thanks!

2gypsies wrote:
How are you getting to Grand Teton Nat'l Park to begin this southward route?

I’m driving from Maine to meet up with my traveling partner in Wyoming, hitting a few stops in the northern midwest along the way. Then taking the trip from Wyoming to Arizona together. She departs in AZ as I take in parts of Rte 66, camping on the beach in Texas, over to the Outer Banks, then up the eastern coast back to Maine.

russelln
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an amazing trip...enjoy!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
How are you getting to Grand Teton Nat'l Park to begin this southward route?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Kodachrome Basin State Park on UT 12 east of Bryce Canyon NP. It has some pull-thru, FHU campsites, while Bryce has no hookups.

A Utah state park above Canyonlands NP has electric hookups and makes a good alternative to the Devils Garden CG at Arches NP that is closed this year. It is called Deadhorse Point SP and has some of the best views of the river that you will find on the Island-in-the-Sky in Canyonlands.

And, although there are several routes you could take between Grand Teton and Grand Canyon, don't miss the drive on UT 12 between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon. That road will become one of your lasting memories of your entire trip, so be sure to stop at a pull-out and take some photos of the views (and the road) to remind you that you actually survived the drive! :W
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice. Lots of good ideas and destinations. Will be tough making the final decisions.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
LONG......

We are planning a 2-3 month trip from the east coast to the west, then back.

OK, let’s dig into this a little more – you need to commit to the 90 day time frame IMHO, there is a BIG difference in the two – more than 50 per cent more time in the West with 90 days – BIG – BIG DEAL – this will mean having the opportunity to see a lot more of the Beauty and Amazing Landscapes you drove all this way to see. This will give you time to stop – smell the Roses/Cactus/Wildflowers of the West/Rockies.

We have two weeks planned to travel from Teton down to the Grand Canyon,

Take a few minutes and Google Map the area – zoom in – now zoom out – BIG AREA – I think you might need a little more time, just a thought. When we do Utah – we can easily spend a 5-7 day period in and around each major National Park, do a search – Escalante – Kodachrome – Goblins – Rt 12 – Rt 128 – Monument Valley – Lake Powell – Salt Lake City – Jordanelle SP – Wasatch Mountains – Dinosaur NM – Rafting – La Sal Mountains – Goosenecks – Mesa Arch – North Rim – Mexican Hat – Antelope Canyon - ……………………………………………………

and would like to see Zion, Arches, Monument Valley, and??, along the way.

You do Know that there are 5 National Parks in Utah – plus the North Rim – So………
There is just sooooo….much more in Utah – to miss anything is a shame and I’m sure you will be back but to not take a little more time is just, just not fair to YOU.
Link - https://utah.com/itinerary/grand-circle-tour
This is just a fly by tour but will get you back for more, again and again.

I’m looking for some advice on good scenic routes to travel to keep off the interstates. Scenic two lane blacktop is my choice,

As I’m sure you will find – almost every ROAD will lead you to or by something you never thought you would see………. Take your time – do a little research and if you look just a little, IMHO, you will not find a road that does not reward you at least a little – and Many will just Amaze You.

but I’ll use the interstates if there isn’t a great scenic choice or we need to makeup time.

In Utah some of the I’s will Amaze you Too, so hard to make a wrong choice, unless you just refuse to SLOW Down and enjoy the Country you are in.

So between Teton and the Grand Canyon,

You have a whole lot of Country here so IMHO, this is not a trip from A to B, but a Trip that could use the whole Alphabet .

are they any really good scenic routes I should make sure I travel on? Any real standouts that I can plan routes between the various landmarks and parks?

Do not Miss RT 12 and RT128 – there are few drives, in Utah, that have made a bigger impression in My Minds Eye.

We will be traveling in a 20’ Class B van so most any road won’t pose a issue (even Sitgreaves Pass out of Oatman AZ which is on our list).

Just a note here – personal opinion – take a day or two out of the B and enjoy a few of the Grand Hotels in the National Parks – IMHO, many are as much a part of the History and Sights of the parks that they need to be used, studied, and enjoyed as much as the sights and sounds of these Great Treasures called the Nation Parks (Yellowstone – Zion – Grand Canyon, North and South just to mention a few, all have Historic Lodges)

Also, any suggestions on exceptional boondocking would be welcome. We are planning on a mix of campgrounds, BLM, overnight parking, as situations dictate.

On the Boon docking thing – keep in mind the Weather – once June hits Utah can have periods in the 100 degree range and make this difficult without A/C. We seldom make reservations and will Boon Dock often but we also are educated, so we will find locations that have Elevation and are Cool so we can enjoy the trip.

If there are some exception boondocking locations, we will try to work those in the plan.

So many that it would be impossible to even start, they are all along any route you may pick.

Thanks

Tried to address your questions and point you in what I think might be the right Direction – we are all different so only YOU can make these decisions.
You have not mentioned time of Year – Critical – for any really accurate advice – What is the entire route of this Trip - Sounds like the big Loop Tour of the Rockies and the Southwest – IMHO, if you have the time (appears you do) that you can select where you go and when you visit you might think a little more about the total route in relationship to the weather and the seasons. We tend to try to DO the warmer parts of the Southwest in the Cooler months and the Rockies in the Warmer months (sort ‘a makes sense to me) So think about your Routing, and Timing, as these are season dependent areas, and your time would be much better spent if the snow has melted in the Rockies and the Sun is still low in the Desert.

Another suggestion is to get into a few Urban areas to just allow you to recharge along the way – Denver – Boulder and Salt Lake – Park City might give you a break.

Work on the routes and the stops, and like you did here break them into smaller parts so they can be addressed as you go and get back to the Forum – you can get more info than you ever imagined.

Ps. You are going to spend at least three weeks in Colorado??????

Hope I was able to help out a little, Best of Luck

Edit
Trailer Life Site let me cut and Paste my reply thanks;
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
...SITE will not let me cut and paste off Word...
It must depend on what version of Word you are using. I copy and paste from Word 2007 all the time. In fact, the links in my last post and most of the links I post are copied and pasted from a Word document.

This is from a word document:
Near the Valley of the Gods are: Goosenecks State Park, UT-261 (the Moki Dugway)Scenic Backway, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Bluff Fort, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Edge of the Cedars State Park, and The Dinosaur Museum if you have not seen them and are interested in visiting the area.

There are several scenic byways and backways in the Fishlake area. There are several others not to far away: Scenic Backways off UT-12, Hells Backbone, and the Burr Trail.

Your links include a lot of what I sent in the PM - Which was a Cut and Paste of the same message - just a bug - in the main program - not in the Message Board.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
It must depend on what version of Word you are using. I copy and paste from Word 2007 all the time. In fact, the links in my last post and most of the links I post are copied and pasted from a Word document.

My copy whatever it is must have a BUG that the Site kicks out - Worked on the Woodalls site that just went dead.

So frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
Important little fact, the road going into the North Rim doesn't open until June 15th.

Don't think that's the case.

It will be open as soon as the snow Melts - usually May 15.

Least that's been the story in the past.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

This is from a word document:
Near the Valley of the Gods are: Goosenecks State Park, UT-261 (the Moki Dugway)Scenic Backway, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Bluff Fort, South Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Edge of the Cedars State Park, and The Dinosaur Museum if you have not seen them and are interested in visiting the area.

There are several scenic byways and backways in the Fishlake area. There are several others not to far away: Scenic Backways off UT-12, Hells Backbone, and the Burr Trail.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 2-3 month trip from the east coast to the west, then back.

Would Love to get my answer to you but SITE will not let me cut and paste off Word.

Sent you a PM
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Important little fact, the road going into the North Rim doesn't open until June 15th.