cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Activities vs Experiences.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Just a fast poll of current and future snowbirds. In your retirement years what is more important to you: Activities or Experiences.

Activities being things like social hour, bingo, cards, pickle ball, dancing, golf, or other weekly scheduled events.

Experiences being new locations, new people, new sights, untraveled roads, and unknown hurdles in new locations.  
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
34 REPLIES 34

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
Experiences for us too!
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
Activity yields experiences.
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
In this sense activities would be what you would see on an RV park's monthly "activities" calendar. Those were the things that were described in the OP. Experiences were also noted in the OP.

As the old saying goes "over analysis, leads to paralysis."

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I understand the difference (Activities vs Experiences). We are paddlers and our activity leads to wonderful experiences. I also write recreational guidebooks which is an activity that definitely leads to lots of experiences! lizzie

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I think that's real good sage advice Tom. Only real reason I brought it up was because I'm getting to that transition point in RV'ing. I had a lot of hours behind the wheel driving down this winter where my mind was working over things for what a next stage could be.

We transitioned to a Park Model for 6 months of the year in AZ - time to recharge batteries, get all medical prods/poking done with enough time to adapt to new meds or have that skin abnormality removed, do shopping, museums, arts programs, some desert geocaching, etc. Then in the spring as the temperatures go up, we stock up the motorhome and head out for 6 months of travel.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I think that's real good sage advice Tom. Only real reason I brought it up was because I'm getting to that transition point in RV'ing. I had a lot of hours behind the wheel driving down this winter where my mind was working over things for what a next stage could be.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I think that the answer is somewhat time based. My first few years of retirement involved a lot of experiences as I wore out a couple of pickups and trailers chasing one new thing and then the next.

Recently, I have realized that the next mountain looks a lot like the last dozen and the next beach is just as sandy as the previous ten. Fortunately, as I search for new "experiences", there are plenty of "activities" to keep me entertained.

Good question.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
avan wrote:
Experiences - like waking up each morning ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL. Yup, some days that's the best some of us can ever wish for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope you're finding time to use that boat, and catching fish.
Nope. Sold the boat a couple of years ago. Didn't use it enough. That and I found that even in S. FL my season was too short. Summer is too hot and humid. About a 3 mile no wake ride through the 10,000 Islands Nat'l Wildlife Preserve out to the Gulf. Aah, a few nice cooler and breezy hours out in the Gulf and then back to the condo at no wake/no breeze speed, and then hose off the salt spray etc. By that time one is hotter and sweatier than when I started. To say nothing of the 5-6 day per week severe, but short, thunderstorms every afternoon here in the Everglades.

Bought my little MH instead and now leave the heat behind me in April/May to return again in October. Do a couple of charter fishing trips each year and can still look at all the boats behind the condo and across the basin at the marina.
www.putt10.net

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Experiences, although I just bought a pickleball paddle to try my hand at the game ๐Ÿ™‚

Pickleball is an activity AND an experience! You'll love it!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Activities vs Experiences.

Not sure if this is an Activity or Experience?!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experiences, although I just bought a pickleball paddle to try my hand at the game ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:

LOL. Yup, some days that's the best some of us can ever wish for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope you're finding time to use that boat, and catching fish.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
www.putt10.net

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
For sure, Experiences!...45 years at it now, and at 73 & 75 years old still going!

That made me smile. I hope I'm lucky enough where I can say the same thing one day.