cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Capital Reef Question

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Ok my dh and I r wanting to know from those of you that have camped at Capital Reef or in the area if there is enough for us to see and do for the 10 days of our vacation? All the reading and suggestion from alot of people on this forum it seems maybe we should just stay in this area for our vacation. Your thoughts are so welcome.:) thanks tara ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
21 REPLIES 21

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Our big trip this year will be split between Bryce and Capitol Reef, with more time biased towards Bryce.

If I was coming from the East, I'd consider Moab and Arches as good add-ons for Capitol Reef.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on what you like to do. The park is big enough for ten days of hiking, in desert canyon country. There are at least a dozen different trails, and you can get a back-country permit, but they still want you to stay on trails so as to not destroy the desert biology in undisturbed soil.

I could stay busy for weeks trying to map the geology, except I would not really be allowed to get around to do that, considering the restrictions that protect the park.

Bicycling is on-road only, so not a place for mountain biking. But some of the road loops are 30, 60, 80, 120 miles, enough to keep a road biker busy for several days.

No water sports, no theme park rides. Grand Staircase nearby, and national forests for more open recreational activities, still mostly hiking and limited to established roads.

Capitol Reef is a quite long linear park, with limited internal roads, connections by highways outside the park. Staying there 10 days, I would probably be thinking about using more than one campground location, for access to different parts of the park during my visit.

But generally, when I am thinking about "things to do" a tend to prefer National Recreation Areas over National Parks. NRAs are about opening lands to access, national parks have been moving more in the direction of protecting the lands, limiting activities as necessary toward that end.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
there is a 2 week limit at the CG, and lots of people stay that entire time. This give the cg a nice community feel, and in my 6 days, I got to know quite a few of the other campers. During some times of the year you can pick and keep fruit from the orchards. I would love to spend two weeks there!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for replies! we will divide our time ๐Ÿ™‚ Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have been there several times and I am a pro photographer and we are hikers - we will be back there again this Fall for a week. We have always stayed at Thousand Lakes.

I agree with my friend, Thunder Mountain, there is lots to do. But, unless you are hikers and driver arounders, 10 days might be a stretch. Even then, not by much.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there often and are hikers but for 10 days at a time and being your 'full' vacation, I think it's too much time. Yes, there are other places to visit in the area but you'll be doing a lot of driving. I would suggest that you move around. For instance, stay in Escalante and do some hiking out of that small town. The slot canyons are awesome. Then perhaps move down to Kodachrome State Park or Bryce Nat'l Park.

We're just not ones to drive distances daily to see the area. We move to those spots. It's a lot more restful.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like to hike as well as see the sights from your car, there is more than enough to keep you busy for ten days. You don't have to be a hard core hiker either. We've spent probably four weeks there over the last ten years. If you are somewhat hardcore hiker do Upper Muley Twist. Do it as a loop hike. It will knock you socks off. Don't miss the north side of the park. You will need high ground clearance. The Grand Wash will leave you speechless. We've stayed at Fruita in the Park which is wonderful, but we prefer Thousand Lakes in Torrey. Just writing about this makes me want to go back. Just remember to check the average temperatures for the month you are planning to visit. The place can be a furnace during the late spring through early fall.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!