cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are we too late for escaping the winter

sking
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new-to-us small MH (19CB) in June. We have been enjoying a little trip every other weekend during the summer, and are headed north at the end of August for a few days.
We found out that we can take off for 4 weeks starting on Dec 21st. I know it is the peak season... We are driving from Chicago looking for warm weather. Is it too late to make reservations? We will like Florida, but anywhere with temperature around 65 and higher will be ideal.
Please help!
54 REPLIES 54

sking
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! thanks for the information. I thought I was too late, but I will get on the phone this weekend. Our problem is that we are so new to RVing, we don't know places or where to start looking. Thank you for the links. We will probably be moving around unless we love one particular spot. I hesitate to make reservation because we love to be free of a schedule, but I worry about not having a place to park at night!
We would like to have electricity at the least, but if we also get water, that will be ideal.
And, although we do not require the ocean front spot, we would really like not to be in a parking lot.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
For south-TX (Rockport, Port Aransas), I would start calling NOW! Most everything is booked, but there may be some cancellations and there are also waiting lists for cancellations!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the winter in Florida we usually stay at various state and federal parks anywhere from a few days to two weeks at each one, plus a single 4-5 week long stay at our RV club owned park in central Florida. We make our reservations up to 11 months ahead of time for the best site selection, but there are often short stays available even with no reservations.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Here in Florida you can always find a CG to stay at without even making reservations.

Sorry it took me so long to discover it. Rainbow Springs and Crystal River area. There are literally hundreds of small real nice CG's

Grossly exaggerated, depending mostly upon what kind of "facilities" you need. If you want to stay in one place for several weeks and have hook-ups, you should start searching NOW.

If, OTOH, you want to explore the state, many grounds have a few spaces for single night or short stay use and you might get lucky......but you might end up in WalMart's parking lot too.....and they are less friendly about that here than in other places.

Your "literally hundreds" doesn't hold water unless maybe you include the whole northern 1/3 of the state AND the primitive areas that are just parking spots.

The recession/depression is mostly over and there are a LOT more snowbirds in Florida than there were 4 or so years ago. I suspect the same applies to Arizona, etc.

Mid-December through mid February are tough; other times, not so much.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
No, you are fine.

There will be spaces in central Florida, and probably north Florida and the panhandle as well. We stayed a few days in a CG north of the Villages, next to a Camping World. It had space on short notice. They were roomy enough but nothing special for the non-seasonal campers. I can't remember the town.

I would also see if I could get a week at the Jetty Park in St. Augustinexxxxx, er, Cape Canaveral.

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/

You could also look into Gulf Shores, AL. And Texas, although you can't count on temps above 65 for a given month.

Personally, even though we go to AZ, I would not advise it for only a month. It's a cold long journey to get there and back when you only have a month to play with. You'll spend 8 to 10 days traveling, and freezing. One time the trip out was so cold, we stayed in hotels all the way till we got to Las Cruces. Under 20 degrees the whole way, through Amarillo. That was the northern route through OK, but the one day longer southern route was not any better. In the middle of winter, for planning purposes, from IL to AZ you have to assume you will be dropping south at least as far as Texarkana, then across through Dallas to El Paso. One year we had to go farther south and cross TX down through Waco, Junction, etc. And always keep an eye on the weather en route, for snow and ice storms. Be prepared to head farther south.

All that said, in early Jan we are headed to AZ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
The RGV of Texas has many great RV parks that always has openings. You choose the amenities and/or activities you want. Much cheaper than Florida also. We stay at Fun & Sun in San Benito.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the first week over Christmas I might make reservations as stated above the further south and closer to the ocean you will have trouble finding several weeks. You actually can find several days at a time easier.

Plenty of sites in central Florida without reservations... Stage Stop in Winter Garden being one of my favorite.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Florida you can always find a CG to stay at without even making reservations.

I Snowbirded to Florida for several years and NEVER once made a reservation.

There are 'many' CG's that are NOT well known "snowbird" CG's, where you are parked in worse than sardines.

I did check those "snowbird" ones out but they most certainly were NOT for me. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I found the Central North Central to be the nicest area with incredible springs and beautiful scenery and much to do close to CG's, unlike down south.

I am from Illinois also and I just couldn't see ever being parked like a sardine on sand in an open hot hot did I mention hot open cleared lot so they could park even more RV's CG. Which so many "snowbird" CG's are like. I need trees and grass not dirty sugar sand.

Sorry it took me so long to discover it. Rainbow Springs and Crystal River area. There are literally hundreds of small real nice CG's with trees, grass, tucked into remote areas and nice size sites in this area to choose from.

Now if you want to stay ON the ocean front or way down south in prime vacation attraction areas that's a different story. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
South Texas.( Mission TX.). I just made reservations for November, 3 days ago.. many places available. and reasonable ..

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Too late? Start making phone calls ! Try Arizona. Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction areas. All large snowbird places.

G'luck!