cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are we too late for escaping the winter

sking
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new-to-us small MH (19CB) in June. We have been enjoying a little trip every other weekend during the summer, and are headed north at the end of August for a few days.
We found out that we can take off for 4 weeks starting on Dec 21st. I know it is the peak season... We are driving from Chicago looking for warm weather. Is it too late to make reservations? We will like Florida, but anywhere with temperature around 65 and higher will be ideal.
Please help!
54 REPLIES 54

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
We did not go south last year due to a number of things. Health issues, escalating cost of extended travel health insurance and the low exchange rate of the Canadian dollar. We did rent our lovely place, in San Benito, Texas to a lady for three months. Might end up doing the same this year. Have to make that decision soon.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
The OP asked "Are we too late for escaping the winter?"

The answer is heck no, despite what some of the folks on here want you to believe, because they already have their reservations. There are hundreds of campsites available to people looking for warm winter weather in South Texas alone. Don't let the fear folks hold you back, and welcome to the wonderful world of Snowbirding.

I just made mine this past week... Mission area.. I could get almost any site I wanted ...

30 feet from the showers... less then 100 feet from the pool.. and the site is double wide... at Standard Rate.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you are right.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The OP asked "Are we too late for escaping the winter?"

The answer is heck no, despite what some of the folks on here want you to believe, because they already have their reservations. There are hundreds of campsites available to people looking for warm winter weather in South Texas alone. Don't let the fear folks hold you back, and welcome to the wonderful world of Snowbirding.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
NoVa RT wrote:
I would also see if I could get a week at the Jetty Park in St. Augustine.

I second the Jetty Park recommendation, but it is in Cape Canaveral, FL (adjacent to Cocoa Beach, too) about 125 miles south of St. Augustine.

Oh, that's right. Thanks for the correction. Now I recall we stayed in a SP at St. Augustine, prior to going to Jetty Park.

Which one has the big Ron Jon's Surf Shop. It's heck to get old.
๐Ÿ™‚

The big, 24 hour, Ron Jon Surf Shop is in Cocoa Beach, just a couple blocks away from where Captain Nelson and Jeannie lived.

It's a crazy place. I walked in there one time at midnight and they were right in the middle of a swimwear show.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell after living in Florida for 15 years and now being a full timer for 3 and spending winters there:

Florida is getting more popular all the time especially below the I-4 beltline. There are many places with hundreds of sites that are all but full from 1 Dec - 1 April. Things may have been a little less busy last winter partly because the exchange rate between the US dollar and the Canadian dollar kept some Canadians from traveling south to Florida for the winter and they are a significant presence. But I think those freed up spaces were used up by the people who were looking for shorter stays. I visited several parks around the Ft Myers/Punta Gorda area and also over near Sebring and they all looked full.

Below I-4 - It is much easier to find a space for the winter for a short time (a month or less) then for 4-6 months. It is also easier to find something available prior to 1 January and after 1 March. Perhaps this may explain the differing opinions stated above.

Bottom line - If you want to get into a popular park in south Florida, especially near the coast, for a 4-6 month stay, it can be difficult unless you make your reservation early in the year. I know that for a fact.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

And while you are at it try posting 'constructive' reply's to the OP rather than spending your time bashing other forum members that are offering suggestions.

Give it a rest.
I advised him to plan ahead.
You seemed to advise him to forge ahead blindly.
He can decide which advice he thinks is actually constructive.
Done.

Let it go. It's okay if you are both wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

And while you are at it try posting 'constructive' reply's to the OP rather than spending your time bashing other forum members that are offering suggestions.

Give it a rest.
I advised him to plan ahead.
You seemed to advise him to forge ahead blindly.
He can decide which advice he thinks is actually constructive.
Done.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

First of all: YOU DO NOT know when and how I RV period. :R

AND I DID mention that the further south near the coasts and attractions reservations would be needed. Try reading all of the posts.

Welcome to the world according to Sam Spade. :B
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

First of all: YOU DO NOT know when and how I RV period. :R

AND I DID mention that the further south near the coasts and attractions reservations would be needed. Try reading all of the posts.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I must be the odd guy on here. My happiness is not determined by my sitting on one site, in one park, at one particular time. I love my freedom. That is why I purchased a RV. Florida is unique in that the number of RV sites is diminishing as more and more sites are being filled with park models and mobile homes while very few new parks are being constructed.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

New RV'ers have to get over the fear of, "I can't go anywhere in my RV unless I have paid for in advance reservations".......because you simply don't have to. :C

Your experience in the PAST is just exactly that and nothing more.

It can NOT be blindly applied across the board for everybody.

Sure if one has a flexible attitude you can pretty much always find a place to park for a few days; even in south Florida in January.

BUT.....if you want to stay near to a beach or other "tourist" attraction AND stay in one place for more than a few days AND want it to be a "nice" place AND the time period is between 12/15 and 2/15.......you had better plan ahead.

I absolutely guarantee you that the most desirable places are MUCH FULLER now than they were 4-5 years ago.

The Florida keys, for instance, is now pretty much booked up that whole period. It is somewhat of an exception as I think it was pretty full even at the depth of the depression.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that was part of the idea of having an RV. If I only want to stay in one specific park on one specific site, I will buy a park model. No reservations needed for park models. None needed for travel trailers either if you are willing to travel and explore.

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
Go on RV Park Reviews and read the reviews on any number of good RV parks in the Florida area and start making phone calls for reservations. The further south you go it may be harder to find a site at a good park during the holidays. Last winter we travelled around Florida for the winter staying at 7 parks and found a good park to spend 5 months in this winter. We had no problems making reservation last August, so I am just assuming it will be the same this winter. Good luck.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Here in Florida you can always find a CG to stay at without even making reservations.

Sorry it took me so long to discover it. Rainbow Springs and Crystal River area. There are literally hundreds of small real nice CG's

Grossly exaggerated, depending mostly upon what kind of "facilities" you need. If you want to stay in one place for several weeks and have hook-ups, you should start searching NOW..

NO, it's is NOT grossly exaggerated. :R
Why would I post something that I had not 'actually experienced'.

I stayed at VERY nice full hookup CG's and I will repeat I never made reservations in advance. I would look for an area I liked and pull in for the night.

All most all CG's whether snowbird destination CG or not keep a few sites open up front for the RV traveler.

If I liked it I would extend my stay another night or so and ask if there were any cancellations for a month or two.

Who wants to be bound by a deposit/reservation to stay in a CG you find out is NOT where you want to spend your entire winter? By pulling in and only staying a night or two first allows you to see if that is where you really want to stay.

Each and every year I came down I found VERY nice CG's to stay at without reservations. And I will add again that NONE of them were the typical parking lot, sardine style, advertised Snowbird CG's crying chicken little the sky is falling if you don't reserve a year in advance.

New RV'ers have to get over the fear of, "I can't go anywhere in my RV unless I have paid for in advance reservations".......because you simply don't have to. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.