cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Assatigue camping in Maryland

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of questions for anyone who has camped here, preferably recently, because I've read that there have been some changes.
I understand that only 35 sites have electric hook up, and reservations for those are tough to come by. These are located within the area that allows dogs. There are also other sites that allow dogs but do not have electricity. The rest of the sites do not allow dogs, and do not have electricity.
So my questions for anyone with experience there are:
1) are the areas that allow dogs completely overrun with dogs? Does just about every site have a dog or two? I would like to bring my dog, but have the ability to leave her with a friend. She loves people but does not do well when surrounded by unfamiliar dogs. I'm thinking for my first camping trip there I should not bring her, get a site in the no dog area, but take a few bike rides around the dog friendly sites for knowledge for future. Also I hate to assume the worst, but do the people staying in the dog area properly clean up after their dogs?
2) I understand that generators are allowed in the camping areas, and can be used except during quiet hours. It is my hope that most of the campers using generators have quiet modern type units. I own a contractor type generator for my emergency backup use at home, but would never consider bringing it to a crowded campground. I would rather rely on my very basic solar panels and be careful with my electric usage. Can anyone confirm if the noise level was excessive or reasonable?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles
15 REPLIES 15

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standing water ocean side Fed park after a storm is an instant mosquito breeding spot. Pray for an onshore breeze in those conditions, about 15 knots will do it.
Puma 30RKSS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been to Assateague a number of times as well though always late September. Looked at the SP. That area is wide open except for some scrub bush. No shelter from the wind. Almost the same at the Nat Seashore sea side loops. Prefer the bayside loops. More shelter from wind & sun. Less sand to trek inside. Seems to be more frequently visited by horses too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful. The horse flies bite as hard as the horses.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

psuce
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
Ok one more question I just thought of...I plan on filling my fresh water tank upon arrival before getting on my site. Is there the type of water supply that you attach your own hose? Or the type that you can only fill containers and then pour into tank if desired? This is for the State Park.

There is a fresh water spigot on the left when you pull into the parking lot near the ranger station and also one at the dump station (make sure you use the fresh spigot and not the nonpotable). The sites do not have water hook up.

I have stayed in the dog friendly loops and personally never noticed any issues where the owners did not clean up after their dogs. For quantity of dogs, not everyone in the dog loops have dogs so it kind of hit or miss.

As far as generators, there are a mix of loud and quiet. Obviously the quiet ones you never hear, but when someone fires up a "contractor" style everyone knows. The nice thing about I loop is that it is rather spread out being a long skinny loop and unless they are right beside you, chances are you might not even hear it. Also hot summer weather more people run them for the AC then in the more seasonable months.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Is there the type of water supply that you attach your own hose?

Yes but there are only a limited number of spigots - I think it was one every 3rd loop at he State Park. Not sure about the NP.

Take a look at the campsite map to be sure
Gerry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
michigansandzilla wrote:

We were just there in August for 5 nights. We were fortunate to get an electric site.

We are a dog loving family, but we left our two dogs at home for the trip.
Yes, there were dogs at the campground, but it was not overrun with dogs. Although, we are dog friendly and we would not find it odd to see several dogs.

Considering that the island is literally sprinkled with horse manure throughout the entire park, nobody would notice a little bit of dog poo. I did not notice any dog poo left around, but you have to be careful where you step to stay away from horse poo.

I can't comment fully on the generator noise b/c we did have an electric site.

Have a great time. The place is amazing; my favorite campsite yet.

:h :S

Michigansandzilla, while you may be dog friendly, but don't know s*** about horses!!!!
There is a big difference, horse poo doesn't stick too your shoes!! My kids had horses from the time they were 12 and 7, never thought twice where I stepped in the pasture.
Still hate stepping in Dog Cra*!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Ok one more question I just thought of...I plan on filling my fresh water tank upon arrival before getting on my site. Is there the type of water supply that you attach your own hose? Or the type that you can only fill containers and then pour into tank if desired? This is for the State Park.

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
The worst of the park is there is a lot of those little stickers, so have to watch the paws. You may have to carry back and forth from your camper to the road and then they will still be full of burs. Gotta watch your feet too.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago we were camping at Assateague (we camped there a dozen times a year because it was close and we love it there) when tenters pulled up and started unpacking in one of the middle sites in our loop in bayside (National Park). They unloaded a huge contractor generator, turned it on, then plugged in a boom box and blasted music. Nothing really anyone could do about it - it was about 3PM. After about two hours everyone was tired of it, but a storm blew in so we all went inside. Five minutes later, the tent was gone - the wind had picked it up and blown it into the bay (the owners had gotten into their truck for shelter). The ex-tenters packed up and left. Karma...

Anyway, Assateague is one of our favorite parks. Sometimes there are loud construction generators, sometimes there are inattentive dog owners, sometimes the horses will poop in your campsite, maybe even on your ground cover, but all the time it is a great place to be. We always preferred April and October - not too hot and a lot less people. We preferred the National Park - all sites are dog friendly - but the state park is nice, too.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I am really excited about this upcoming trip. I have been there just for the day many times throughout my life, but this will be the first time before my kids. As well as first time camping there.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the State PArk last year after Labor Day; Sensational....... park was probably 1/2 full with older people (no surprise). Very quiet and although there were some dogs - the owners were very responsible.

The National Park (with no elec) was virtually empty;

I use solar and I have noticed that more people are moving over to solar from generators. I don't remember hearing any generator - even though I was in a non-electric loop
Gerry

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped 4 times in the electric loop at Assateague State Park over the last 2 years. Didn't notice many dogs. It's the electricity that is the big draw. Not sure about the other loop that allows dogs, that might well have a higher percentage since there's no particular reason that I know of to chose that loop except that it allows dogs.

My impression was that generators were in self-contained RV units. Didn't see any portable generators or hear others complain of them, although I didn't spend much time in the non-electric loops.
2013 RT 190-Popular

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I just booked two side by side sites in section "I". No electric but dogs allowed. The wife wisely pointed out that it would be better to be prepared for the possibility that we might need to bring the dog if my friend for some reason can't take her that weekend. The people we are meeting there also have a dog, and also might need to bring him.
Michigan... Thanks for the reminder about the horse droppings. I still hope our fellow campers clean up after their dogs, but you helped put it in perspective!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the national Park which has no hookups.We stayed in the bayside campground Loop C which allowed generators.We had 2 dogs at the time and didn't see many other dogs while we were there.The State Park is the one with some electric hookups.There is no grass and no shade. The bayside NP campground has grass at many sites and some have small trees.Make sure you go to the ranger programs,They are great.