cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad lands area

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a night at Cedar Pass Campground (in the Bad Lands Nat'l Park) before heading to a KOA at The Devils tower for another night, then off to Custer State Park, Blue Bell for 2 nights then Sylvan Lake for another night. From there we head to Spearfish Campground for 6 days of reunion-ing, various tours and food.
What are the must sees and does in these areas? Never been there and it's all new to us. 26" class C with no toad, but will have 2 e-bikes, so parking, tunnels, etc are considerations.
Thanks.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
38 REPLIES 38

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, if you don't get to Wall Drug, it's no big deal. Definitely a "1 star" attraction in our book

Remember, opinions vary. You make the call.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad
In Custer SP the Needles Highway is a great drive. However, not for an RV.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
A whirlwind schedule. Drive through of Badlands, Devils Tower, Blue Bell, Custer SP, then Spearfish appears more like a bucket list to be emptied rather fthan fulfilled.
The ratings given are skewed to each persons interest and knowledge. Note how some rate Mt. Rushmore against Crazy Horse.
The geography, history of aboriginal peoples to today and the region are intertwined, spend time in the visitor centers.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We stumbled across Keystone when we were on our honeymoon in 1984. Went back about 10 years ago and it hadn't changed a lot. If you like drive-through wildlife parks go to Bear Country USA.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to look up Keystone, never heard of it until then.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Badlands 4 Stars
Wall Drug 2 stars
Minute Man 3 stars if silo tour included
Rushmore 2 stars
Crazy Horse 1 star
Two NM Caves 4 stars
Custer SP 4 stars
And lots of other small stuff

Agree with this assessment. Add Keystone SD though. Touristy, kitschy and lots of fun.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Definitely Mt. Rushmore (be sure to get the view driving around the left end of it -- very impressive) and Crazy Horse.

And so you see opinions vary a lot on those two attractions.
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Mt. Rushmore (be sure to get the view driving around the left end of it -- very impressive) and Crazy Horse. We also enjoyed Bear Country USA, not far from Rapid City.

You're in for a treat. My wife and I have been in every one of the 50 states, many of them numerous times, and in over 35 foreign countries, and believe it or not, our South Dakota trip was one of the most enjoyable trips we've ever taken. We talk about it often. Be sure to take a bag of carrots for the donkey's in Custer SP.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your travel plans seem to be a bit backward, Badlands then past the Black Hills to Devils Tower then back to the Black Hills.
Anyway:
Badlands 4 Stars
Wall Drug 2 stars
Minute Man 3 stars if silo tour included
Rushmore 2 stars
Crazy Horse 1 star
Two NM Caves 4 stars
Custer SP 4 stars
And lots of other small stuff