cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bucket List for Out West National Parks

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
On a 15 inch snow days here in the KY (doesn't happen often), makes for perfect planning Out West Trips. Here's a question...TOP 5 "Must-SEE" or "Bucket List" Out West Destinations or National Parks to visit. We have an 8 year old boy, so this is the BESTEST time to start our Out-West travels. Can't hit them all in a few yrs, but would love those OMG can't miss National or State Parks. THANKS!!
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***
29 REPLIES 29

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado.

Rocky Mountain National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Mesa Verde National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Colorado National Monument
Dinosaur National Monument

6 very diverse locales. And the drives to get to them are an adventure unto themselves, including the Peak-to-Peak Highway, the Upper Arkansas Valley, The Million Dollar Highway and multiple high passes that are to be experienced to be believed.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take him to see some. Dinosaur fossils. There are some very good ones (close up and touch) at a small museum in Hill City near Rushmore., and also at the Black Hills institute same town.
When u go to Rushmore go early evening and stay for the fireworks.
When you go to Grand Tetons park, take him up the ski lift at the Village resort and maybe on a slow river ride good for spotting animals. Jackson has a nightly shootout show downtown and you can do a chuck wagon ride and dinner.
Old Faithful at Yellowstone is a must do. We like to go around mealtime and either eat and do the show or vice versa.
Don't expect him to enjoy scenery very much. Picnics are always good. Ranger talks are good.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
sedwheathome wrote:
On a 15 inch snow days here in the KY (doesn't happen often), makes for perfect planning Out West Trips. Here's a question...TOP 5 "Must-SEE" or "Bucket List" Out West Destinations or National Parks to visit. We have an 8 year old boy, so this is the BESTEST time to start our Out-West travels. Can't hit them all in a few yrs, but would love those OMG can't miss National or State Parks. THANKS!!

Just got in from the 24+" snow here in Annapolis - three driveways will let you know how out of shape you've gotten - Need to get back to Colorado (foothills) where it melts in a Day or two (normally)

Top five for an 8 year old;

Dinasour National Monument - at 8 this is the best "numero uno" real bones - beautiful area and the Green River.

Number Two is Arches NP - Kids marvel at how Rocks can float in the Air.

Lake Powell and the Dam - Never seen a kid yet that doesn't LOVE the water, throw in the North side of the Grand Canyon and you have an awesome trip.

Mount Rushmore - and the Black Hills - was impressive when I was 8 and still is (be sure to go at night)

If you can go to Glacier and see some snow in the Summer he will never forget it.

Now those were the ones I remembered from when I was eight - 61 years ago - have been back to all but never enough - when he gets to be a teenager start the other Big National Parks - generally you need to be just a little older to appreciate them and understand them - but Yellowstone really has no date, it is just the best of everything, just they will appreciate it more as they get to be a little older.

There are no wrong choices other than not going,

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you live in Kentucky perhaps you could take a trip north to Michigan and stay in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Your son would love climbing the dunes, taking a gentle canoe trip down the Platte River ending at a pristine Lake Michigan beach. There is so much to do in that whole area it's worth a week or two vacation!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Explorer
Explorer
I would love for someone to post a bucket list for the east coast.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

abwatters
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Black Hills. In addition to Rushmore you can get to Crazy Horse monument. We got lucky several years ago and saw them blast part of the mountain since it was still under construction. Custer state park has a great wildlife driving loop. Wind Cave and Jewel Cave parks are also close. About an hour south is Hot Springs is Mammoth Hot Springs fossil site. About an hour east is the Badlands National park and famous Wall Drug in Wall SD.

I'm sure I forgot many other great things in the area, but it is a great region.

If you or any other members get out there soon check the little garden area beside the forest service office in downtown Custer to see if the plaque for Marge Parker is still there. She was a forest service volunteer, a wonderful character, and my grandmother.
Andrew and Barbara
and Milli Vanilli the travelling cat
2013 Crusader 260RLD
2013 F250 PSD 6.7 V8 3.55 axle 4x4

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
sedwheathome wrote:
...We have an 8 year old boy, so this is the BESTEST time to start our Out-West travels...
For the boy, many National Parks have Junior Ranger Programs. Maybe Dinosaur National Monument and the Utah Field House State Park near Vernal, Utah would be of interest. Goblin Valley State Park in Utah is an amazing place.

Cody is a gateway to Yellowstone from the East. The Buffalo Bill Center in Cody is a huge complex of museums. Cody also has a Nightly Rodeo. In Yellowstone, consider the chuckwagon cookout.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I was impressed with mesa arch in the canyonlands. saw a bunch of the native American stuff in the SW.
bumpy

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Lots to choose from for sure. If you're going through Wyoming on your way to some of those beautiful National Parks you might like to take your son here, I had always wanted to see the "ruts" and three years ago we made it to Guernsey. It a small feature but it's history..... They have a real nice park to stay in too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dan

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
www.nps.gov

The National Park Service's website is outstanding. Plan your travels in depth!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glacier
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Badlands
Rushmore (tho it will be a disappointment)
Dinosaur NM
Arches
Capitol Reef
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Grand Canyon--I prefer the North Rim
Mesa Verde
Great Sand Dunes
Rocky Mountains
Petrified Forest
Carlsbad Caverns
Barrenger Crater (not national)
Chaco
Death Valley
Yosemite
Lassen Volcanic
Redwoods
Crater Lake
Mt Ranier
Olympic
North Cascades

and in Alaska--Denali, Glacier Bay, Katmai ect.

There are many smaller parks that you will be close to and which are worth a visit: Hovenwep, Devils Tower, Black Canyon of the Gunnison for example.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
May or early June could be a good time to see some of the southwestern parks. Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches. The weather shouldn't be too hot yet at that time.

Mid June through August usually bring nice camping weather farther north: Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier. (But Glacier's Going to the Sun Road doesn't open until sometime in July.)

They say Yosemite is best in April/May when the waterfalls are full, but almost any time it's beautiful.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Sequoia National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, Redwoods National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Bryce Canyon Nation Park, Glacier National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde National Park, Olympic National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, Denali National Park. Not necessarily in that order and I'm sure I have forgotten a few. We live in such a beautiful country!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly suggest Yosemite National Park,Yellowstone National Park, and Mt. Rushmore in the Black Hills. Additionally, while it is not a national park, if you are anywhere near Cody Wyoming I highly suggest you make an effort to visit the Buffalo Bill Centerof the West . . . often called the Smithsonian of the West. I really don't think you are any of the family will regret that!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
google is your friend. check each park on a map and the government web site.
every body likes different things and have different time allocations and weather concerns.
with a child yellowstone and tetons would be #1 on my list followed by the blacks hills.