cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping around Christmas time

campinmomof2
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone could give me some suggestions of places to camp around Christmas time, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to go somewhere in the Southeastern region of the US but am open to other states as well. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Christmas, Florida :B

Unless you have an absolute need to go to the most southern part of Florida with all the humidity and mosquitoes.

The best kept secret of the north central part of Florida is just knock down beautiful. Numerous crystal blue springs, rivers for kayaking or tubing 3 beautiful forests, etc. No matter which way you go it's less than an hour from the gulf or the east coast. google Rainbow Springs, Dunnellon, Crystal river, and include a 20/30 mile radius or so.

AND there are a plethora of real nice CG's all around that are not sardine crammed with snowbirds. I Snowbirded in this area for a couple of years and never once made reservations ahead of time during peak season.

Shhh, don't tell everyone about this place.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I guess this means that Wyoming is off of your โ€œshort listโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰ The Tetons and Yellowstone are beautiful that time of the year! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed some very nice Christmases in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The parks had lots of activities planned and the local towns were very festive.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
RV camping at Disney Worldโ€™s Fort Wilderness at Christmas time!

Agreed but it is probably too late for this season to get anything.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
RV camping at Disney Worldโ€™s Fort Wilderness at Christmas time!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
From Tennessee, anywhere from Myrtle Beach, to the entire Gulf Coast could be great.
On the east coast, the farther north you go, the greater the risk of cool (not necessarily cold) weather. Savannah is a great target, And does not get filled up nearly as much as Florida. Charleston is a short ride There are some old Civil War forts in both areas, and the cemetaries are a fascinating day in their own right. graves from the 1800's often tell great stories. And both have great tours of historic areas.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on how warm you want to be. If you want 80's then you have to go below Tampa. Personaly we like the Gulf Coast of MS,LA, AL and have even been as far over as Galveston TX. Nights can be chilly but mother nature is unpredictable. You could get an ice storm any time.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Bend is popular I hear. SE? Everglades? GSMNP is a bit cold then from what I hear. The Keys but they are very very expensive and very hard to get into at the last minute (which in this case means not booked a year in advance) Lots of FL parks but they are packed with snowbirders. Probably the same for the southern Alabama and south Texas parks.

There is always the old standby_Disney World and the other theme parks.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper