cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Williamsberg VA, April

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for camping near Williamsberg VA in late Api, with aprox. distance from park, about 4 nights
ROBERT L MC INTYRE
20 REPLIES 20

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
terrytrailertrash wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
We stayed at Chippokes Plantation State Park. Nice campground with a free ferry across the river to Jamestown.
. We will be in Williamsburg in April, too. So Iโ€™m following this thread. How long was the commute from Chippokes PSP to Williamsburg?

If I remember correctly,about a 10 minute drive from the campground to the ferry. They have 2 ferry's running so the wait isn't too long. When they drop you off,you are right there at Jamestown. Then you get on the parkway and it's about 15 minutes to Williamsburg.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
Chickahominy Riverfront Park is a County run RV park on Historic Route 5. Full hookups , pool and on the Capitol Trail, a paved bike path connecting Williamsburg and Richmond. Close to every thing in Williamsburg.

We have that booked this summer. Looks like a nice park and good location.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies and sorry for the late response, my hot spot died the last 3 days.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
We stayed at Chippokes Plantation State Park. Nice campground with a free ferry across the river to Jamestown.
. We will be in Williamsburg in April, too. So Iโ€™m following this thread. How long was the commute from Chippokes PSP to Williamsburg?
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

ziplock
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading that way in July.

I liked Anvil Campground reviews due to the fact that they have a shuttle to the different attractions.......

We don't have a pull along car, so I thought that would be nice to just hop the bus and go to the places.

I figure if you are heading to Williamsburg, tight sites are a given, since you are not going there just to hang out all day, you are touring the area and just coming back to the campsite to sleep.

I have researched some of the tours offered there and they seem to last 3 to 4 hours at a spot, so, it's not much time to go to the campsite and hang out and worry about the campground.

It will take a lot of determination to see all that the area has to offer in 4 days.

Just thinking with you!

Glad you ask the questions.

We also plan on hitting the Outer Banks on our trip in July.

Anyone have opinions?

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Chickahominy Riverfront Park is a County run RV park on Historic Route 5. Full hookups , pool and on the Capitol Trail, a paved bike path connecting Williamsburg and Richmond. Close to every thing in Williamsburg.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for American Heritage.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at the Naval Weapons Station, Yorktown, VA in March. Check it out if you qualify for military lodging/camping. It is just down the road from Williamsburg.

Good luck
Patrick
Semper Paratus

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Newport News Park.

This one gets my vote based on our last stay in the area.

Another big vote for Newport News, beautiful wooded sites & much more economical than the commercial RV parks. Also close to Busch Gardens which is about half way between the CG and Williamsburg. And for another unique local attraction, on the other side of 64 from the park is the US Army Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis.

US Army Transportation Museum
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed in several. Most closest to Williamsburg are along an active railway. Didn't bother us, but some don't like that fact. The one we return to is American Heritage. Not cheap, but none of them are! Clean, comfortable. Sites a bit tight, but all are in this area (high volume/high demand). Convenient location. Might want to check out www.rvparkreviews.com for campers' opinions.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a Thousand Trails member, the park was decent. A little tight in some of the corners, so when searching for your first come, first served site- drop the camper in a pull-thru and explore with just your tow vehicle or toad.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Anvil is good, and in close, but the trains are very close and very fast. But not annowingly noisy as the track is good, high-speed, and most are commuter cars that roll with a lot less noise.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
dmck413 wrote:
We like American Heritage. Close to highway nice sites.

Another vote for American Heritage. We've stayed there twice, and I'd stay again.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7