cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cape Hatteras

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally got to retire and health issues have handicapped us. Always wanted to camp and see Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks. We are campers (B'ers) and not typical RV Resort types, but do need plug ins, as before mentioned health reasons. What is the best time of the year and some of the better CAMPgrounds with electric? Traveling from the midwest, we'd like beach sites, or at least close to.
Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been there in May and October - enjoyed it both times. In May of this year we saw a whale at the Rodanthe Pier.

We had a site near the dunes.

2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Camp Hatteras. Nice place & nice people running it.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I like any of the shore areas just after Labor Day. The weather is still nice, and the water is just about at its warmest. No crowds. Prior to summer is nice too, but could be cooler and the water is just warming up.

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Several nice campgrounds that will do. Ocean Waves is nice an small but hard to get reservations. Next is Camp Hatteras and Hatteras KOA. If you go further south you have Frisco Woods. You can then either day trip to Ocracoke or you can camp at Ocracoke. Then take ferry back to mainland if you want to make a loop.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't stayed there , but hear Ocean Waves is nice. I have friends that go there.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Go mid-April to mid-June or as GM above says after Labor Day. Cooler but not cold weather, less crowds, lower prices.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
The best time to go (IMHO) is after Labor Day when oceanfront sites at Camp Hatteras go from $102 to $70.

Even lower at the end of Nov, but the weather might not be as nice.

(Not an Advert)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!