cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chama,NM

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Chama for the special "geology" train ride on 6-19-16. Anyone have any suggestions on RV campground.
15 REPLIES 15

RollinFreenEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Sky mountain last year, 2nd time we have stayed. The folks running it are really nice, the campground sets down by the river and only one large gravel lot, so there is lots of room.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Sky mountains CG is nice we stay there last year.I think is thr best CG in Chama.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
The train goes right by Rio Chama across a trestle. The campers gather in front of the trestle to wave at the morning train going out and evening train coming in. Great fun! The park is also close to the train depot which is another plus. The other parks seem like nice places, but I enjoy the trains too much to consider staying anywhere else. But then again I'm a history teacher and I live in the past...
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Sky Mountain RV Resort was a great place to stay when we were there about four years ago.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Little Creel,
We used it in 2014 and it was quite satisfactory
though nothing special.
easy access and quiet.
Tinbender

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
The last time we were in Chama, several folks were camping at Heron Lake State Park. Yes, it's an 18 or 20 miles drive to Chama.

At $14 for a W/E site - the drive might be better than the price at Rio Chama. Or if you need a FHU site - $18 at El Vado Lake SP and a 30 mile drive might be worth it.

Personally I prefer Rio Chama. The only thing I don't like about them is that their rates are not on their web site, but RV Park Reviews will give you an idea what they charge.

The geology tour starts at 6:30 am at the station so Rio Chama is ideal even if a little pricey.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Chama in 2009 and used Little Creel CG. Nothing special but then for us it was simply a place to sleep and nothing more. Easy access, and they also have sites along the river. Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we were in Chama, several folks were camping at Heron Lake State Park. Yes, it's an 18 or 20 miles drive to Chama.

At $14 for a W/E site - the drive might be better than the price at Rio Chama. Or if you need a FHU site - $18 at El Vado Lake SP and a 30 mile drive might be worth it.

Personally I prefer Rio Chama. The only thing I don't like about them is that their rates are not on their web site, but RV Park Reviews will give you an idea what they charge.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all ya'll for the replies.We had been looking at the Rio Chama so I will call them & book it.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
We stayed at the state park there, easy access
What state park would that be? I do not see one near Chama listed on the New Mexico State Park Website. Primative camping is allowed on the Bill Humphries Wildlife Area West of Chama. Is that where you stayed?

To the OP, it is my understanding that a G.A.I.N. permit and Habitat Management and Access Validation is required to camp on New Mexico Wildlife Areas that permit camping.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the state park there, easy access

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed Rio Chama and the train this past summer. The sites directly on the river are really nice, as long as you don't mind backing in (I don't).
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Rio Chama

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Rio Chama.