cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charge for each pet ??? your thoughts

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you were told that the RV park you normally stay at was going to add a new charge of $5.00 per dog per day to their already high costs what would your response be ?
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
38 REPLIES 38

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would pay it, but I don't like RV parks.
I just stayed in a motel in Elko and paid $10 a day for each of my 3 dogs per night.
If they charge for pets, they probably have a clean facility.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The owner is probably tired of having his employees spend time picking up after pet owners, and tired of hearing from campers who are irate because their toddler found a dog turd to play with on their campsite.

Over the last ten or so years, as parks have relaxed their rules, a good number of dog owners have decided that it is their God given right to show up with four big dogs, take them to the beach, let them run around off leash, and only clean up after them if someone is watching.

Last year at a state park, we watched the owners of a 170 lb Newfoundland allow their dog to defecate in the brush directly behind their site for three days, and never picked up a thing.

Some dog owners are their own worst enemies.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I would like to hear from a park owner that has looked into insurance policy pricing for the campground that allows pets versus not allowing pets. If the charge is used to cover an increase in insurance cost because dogs are allowed, they are charging the correct patrons.

I don't like the idea floated by earlier posters relating the charge to park employees cleaning up after the dogs. This implies that if I pay my $5 I don't have to clean up the mess. I paid for someone else to do it.

They are not going to tell you that the fee is to clean up after your pet, but the reality is, someone has to do it. They cant just leave doggie do everywhere. Quite often it is in vacant sites. Do you want to pull in to find a nice pile in your campsite.

Been to 100's of campgrounds. Never seen an employee pick up after the idiots who don't clean up after their pets.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I would like to hear from a park owner that has looked into insurance policy pricing for the campground that allows pets versus not allowing pets. If the charge is used to cover an increase in insurance cost because dogs are allowed, they are charging the correct patrons.

I don't like the idea floated by earlier posters relating the charge to park employees cleaning up after the dogs. This implies that if I pay my $5 I don't have to clean up the mess. I paid for someone else to do it.

They are not going to tell you that the fee is to clean up after your pet, but the reality is, someone has to do it. They cant just leave doggie do everywhere. Quite often it is in vacant sites. Do you want to pull in to find a nice pile in your campsite.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
Too many people don't pick up after their pets. If the owner has to pay someone to constantly go around and clean up dog do, you couldn't blame them for charging extra. They could just raise the rates, but that wouldn't be fair to others who don't own pets. According to EVERYONE, they always pick up after their pets. The evidence seems to say otherwise.

Oh, those who take the time and effort to say they always pick up after their pets probably do. Those who donโ€™t are not going to post their guilt.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at an Oregon State park. The particular site we chose had a cabin on the rear of the site and an RV pad up front. The site had a flat fee, but when we arrived we received a $10 per night discount for no pets. By the way, Silver Falls State Park.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd vote with my tires and be down the road unless I had a need to stay.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
winniman wrote:
Too many people don't pick up after their pets. If the owner has to pay someone to constantly go around and clean up dog do, you couldn't blame them for charging extra. They could just raise the rates, but that wouldn't be fair to others who don't own pets. According to EVERYONE, they always pick up after their pets. The evidence seems to say otherwise.
Over the years, I have heard enough people claim they always pick up after their pets that I have concluded the real problem is the Tooth Fairy's evil twin, The Waste Bag Emptier. Apparently, he goes around when no one is looking and dumps the contents of all those waste bags onto the ground. At least he doesn't enter your RV, trades the contents of the bag for a tooth and then leave it under your pillow.

I'm OK with the fee because that evil twin shows up at every CG I go to.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd thank them for giving me a heads up so I can make an informed decision.

If you like the place, keep going. If not, move on.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their campground their rules, my money my choice.

It really doesn't mater what others think.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would go elsewhere if it were me.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
$5 per pet? They better have an extremely nice fenced in pet area with plenty of trash receptacles. And maybe a little pet drinking fountain!

I stay away from the places that have breed restrictions. You know the ones that will ban a family German shepherd but let in the yappy lap dogs that bite way more than any family large dog ever would!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I fully understand it.
Think of the parks landscaping cost !

Guy

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s good that they are doing that and one of the main reasons that yhey do it is probably because people donโ€™t pick up after their pets. I donโ€™t mean you, its the other people