cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coastal campgrounds in NC, SC, and GA

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for beach campgrounds in NC, SC, and GA. We tend to prefer county, state, and federal park campgrounds. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with Skip's (Kaz) assessment of the GA campgrounds except that Blythe Island Regional Park borders the South Brunswick River so to say "it's a ways from any water" seems like an odd statement.

For beach access, Jekyll Island Campground is your best bet in GA. It is a short walk to the Brunswick River at the Clam Creek fishing pier (small beach area) and a couple minute car ride to the beaches of the Atlantic. It's not our ideal campground, but we love Jekyll Island. We day camp on Jekyll, but don't stay the night. Bring lots of bugs spray.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Check out The Ultimate US Public Campground Project. It's a great resource for locating public campgrounds of all types. I use it all the time. They even have apps for your mobile devices.

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few thoughts about places I've stayed (with links to the rvparkreviews.com reviews if that helps):

Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort (SC): About what you'd expect from the name: Four-hundred-plus full-hookup sites (with cable TV) , most of which are landscaped and equipped with outdoor furnishings. Plus a heated and cooled (no kidding) pool, tennis courts, recreation room, and a lake with lighted fountains. Oh, and itโ€™s about a mile (nice walk or bike ride) from Coligny Beach and a ton of restaurants.

Hilton Head RV Resort and Marina (SC): Also very nice. And it's on the intracoastal water way, which was a treat for me, but a pretty long ways from the ocean.

Skidaway Island State Park (GA): Agree with the posts above. Very nice, but more of an inland camping experience.

Jekyll Island Campground (GA): Very nice. Shaded and full hookups. Some people report that the roads and narrow and sites hard to get into, but we didn't notice that. Easy access to the beach.

Coastal Georgia RV Resort (Brunswick, GA): This gets great reviews, but I thought it was only OK. Not a lot of shade, privacy, "nature," whatever. And a ways away from any water.

Blythe Island Regional Park (Brusnwick, GA): We like this place a lot. Again, it's a ways a way from any water, but it's a county-run park and very nice. Full hookups, very shaded (with Spanish moss on the trees), lots to do.

Hope that helps,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Did I miss someone posting Oregon Inlet Campground & Ocracoke Island Campground in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore? Great campgrounds, right on the beach. More info on my website below if you're interested.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Hunting Island, Edisto Island and we are heading to Jekyll next summer, so I can't recommend that, but our friends love it.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the Coastal Campgrounds Myrtle Beach and South.

Thats where we usually go to get our OCEAN FIX...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aand there is Carolina Beach state Park on Pleasure island. No hookups, and not on the beach, on the waterway
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Hunting Island, Huntington Beach, Edisto Beach, Myrtle Beach are all state parks along the SC coastline. I have listed them in my priority and could recommend each of them.

I've been to all those and I agree with your ranking. (Unless you want FHU, then Edisto and Hunting Island lose. )
Larry

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention what size camper you have, so it's hard to tell if you need a park with big sites or not.

x2 on what Walaby said. Skidaway is nice, can accommodate large campers (and they have some FHU sites).
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hunting Island, Huntington Beach, Edisto Beach, Myrtle Beach are all state parks along the SC coastline. I have listed them in my priority and could recommend each of them.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard Skidaway Island State Park (Ga) Right there in Savannah is nice. I will know more after this weekend. Visiting there for the first time. Only problem is, even though it is called Skidaway ISLAND state park, it is apparently actually 25 miles from the nearest beach, which is at Tybee Island. I guess it's an island because it is surrounded by water, but mostly rivers.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS