cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Current Texas Weather in The RGV

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Weather is always changing and a constant topic, but right now the Weather in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas is just about perfect. I have been here for 10 days and most of the time the highs have been in the 70's with no rain. We had a few windy days but the long range forecast is for more of the same weather.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy
19 REPLIES 19

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The OP mentioned the weather in South Texas. Nobody ever said that Texas weather was perfect. Any place in the continental United State can have cold spells, so does the Lone Star State. I have endured freeze warnings in Florida and felt some mighty cool breezes in the West. The RGV is inexpensive, windy, dirty, and a lot warmer than the Upper Midwest.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
TomG2 wrote:
At 8:00 pm ET, the temperature in Bangor, Maine was 28 degrees F. Just the reverse of 82. Why?
Interesting because 28C is the same as 82F.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Weather Statistics for McAllen, TX show a normal high of 71 for Jan, 75 for Feb and 82 for Mar. For Ft Meyers, FL the numbers are 74, 77, and 80. Orlando, FL numbers are 71, 74, and 78.

These numbers are from a statistical data base. They are not open to questions as they are facts. These are temperatures and do not include other factors that influence comfort such as humidity, rainfall, wind, biting insects, etc.

If everyone liked the same thing almost all of us would be in one location. I tried FL, TX, AZ, CA and MX before I settled on a location that was right for me.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
4:30 pm 1/1/2019 Fort Meyers, FL 82

At 8:00 pm ET, the temperature in Bangor, Maine was 28 degrees F. Just the reverse of 82. Why?

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
There are sites available in central FL, yesterday it was 83, I love the valley activities but didn't care for the wind and it is cooler than FL. I have spent 3 winters in the valley.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
4:30 pm 1/1/2019 Fort Meyers, FL 82

4:30 pm 1/2/2019 Fort Meyers, FL 81

11:50 1/3/2019 Fort Myers, FL 81
10:50 1/3/2019 McAllen, TX 47

"Empirical" evidence is starting to make me wonder if that wet feeling on the leg is something else then warm rain. Next few days should be conclusive in a general way.

01/04/2019 5:30pm Fort Myers, FL 76
01/04/2019 4:30pm McAllen, TX 77

01/05/2019 3:00pm Fort Myers 72
01/05/2019 2:00pm McAllen 80
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
On average Florida may have more good weather if you go far enough south. Maybe more rain and bugs but also about triple of the cost of the Rio Grande Valley. We are at 65 degrees today but often fluctuates between the 40's to mid 80's this time of year.
pawatt

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about Florida as our snowbird location but maybe we should rethink Texas.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Well said. There is a difference between climate and weather. Also a difference between weather patterns and weather.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Let's start by checking your ability to spell. It is "Empirical" not imperical. Which does not apply anyway.

Second, there is a big difference between "general" and "specific"? Generally, weather patterns move from west to east. Specifically, there can be huge variations from this pattern. That is why I used the term "general".

It looks like Fort Myers, Florida will lose about 12 degrees, going from 82 to 70 between now and Saturday which is a significant cool down in the next five days. There are times that our weather will get there in 3-4 days. Sometimes it is held up by high pressure systems or gains warmth from passing over the Gulf of Mexico. Too many variables involved. That's what the weather people get paid for.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Nice too know where in Florida she was.

Letโ€™s just test your theory. Today McAllen right now (4:30pm) is 62, low of 49. How many days according to your imperical evidence do you think it will take to get to Fort Myers? Shouldnโ€™t be more then 2 to 3 days right.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend froze in Florida for two weeks while I was basking in seventy plus degrees in South Texas. Our warm weather got there about the time she left. If weather does not move in a general west to east direction, somebody better tell the National Weather Service. We have never had a front come to Texas from Florida, but they get lots of our stuff. Price was not the object. She paid three times as much for her fifties than I did for my seventies. Weather is weather. Forty percent chance that they might predict it correctly. About the same accuracy as the contributors on here.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirding is a lot like fishing. When you find a great spot, you donโ€™t post it on the internet. Why would you unless you want to make people think youโ€™re smarter then the average bear and that they are getting screwed doing what they are doing.

Weather is a funny thing. It really doesnโ€™t go west to east. You got things like mountains, the Gulf Stream, Polar express, and Pineapple Express putting itโ€™s spin on it.

I believe in supply and demand setting a fair market price. Most the time you get what you pay for. Sometimes with a lot of luck and work you find a deal. Thatโ€™s when you keep it to yourself (just like that hot fishing spot) unless you want the price to go up by driving demand up.

IMO the RGV has great winters 50% of the time. If youโ€™re on a budget no problem. If you can afford more why wouldnโ€™t you. Lifeโ€™s too short to drink cheap booze.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
...sip..... We are now considering South Texas. Is it hard to get into the state parks or national parks that time of year without reservations? Thanks Tara

Not a lot of government parks in South Texas, but hundreds of RV parks. With a couple of exceptions, most have plenty of sites available. Come on down.

We laugh when it is cold in Arizona, but two days later the cold front gets here. Florida brags about their weather and three days later it gets there. January weather in the South will always be "Variable".