cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC over memorial day

ok , we booked Washington DC for the Memorial Day weekend.... can any of you DC area folks tell me if the screen room will be needed that time of year?? We usually do the Jersey Shore and the nats (no-see-ums) are usually bad....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
17 REPLIES 17

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy, you missed a heck of a rainstorm last night. We had a monsoon and hail the size of marbles. Knocked out my power for 3 hours.

But the weather is supposed to be great all weekend. Have fun
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
now that I think of it that group of 42 brazillion motorcycles and accompanying patrol cars that time were coming down from flight 93 area to the DC area.
bumpy

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
There are many meetup points (have several friends who ride rolling thunder every year.) Most of the meetup points are hosted by a Harley Davidson dealer in the metro area. Hd of Fredrick, Hagerstown, Fairfax, Dale City, you name it. Ontop of that you have the private groups meeting up and running as well, so you will see bikes on I70, I66, I270, I95, etc. But before they hit the official run route in DC, they all meet as stated above and the route run starts at noon.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
in previous years they have come across I-70 and down 270. don't know if it is the same this year.
bumpy

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
This time of the year usually a well placed citranella candle or 2 will ward off the no-seeums. Given that we expect to have dry, cool and an light breeze I expect them to be managable. Come July is a whole different story all together.

As for rolling thunder, they do not close all of DC just some roads. I have never once had an issue getting in or out of DC, but avoid the area around the National Mall with a car. So only expect road closures on both sides of the mall. If you stick to K Street, 395, 695 and 295 you will not notice the traffic other then when the bikes all head their seperate ways once they leave the tidal Basin.

Rolling Thunder will meet up at the Pentagon North parking lot and then run the route from there. The route is from the Pentagon North Parking lot, up Washington Blvd and across the Memorial Bridge onto Constitution Ave eastbound to Pennsilvania Ave, they ride that to 3rd Street and South to Independance and finish up at West Potomac Park.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

riwolfman
Explorer
Explorer
DC on Memorial day weekend hosts Rolling Thunder. The City is closed to all vehicles except Motorcycles on Sunday for the Ride To The Wall, The Viet Nam Memorial, to honor and remember our unaccounted for POW's/ MIA's. Its a tradition for close to 30 yrs now. About half a million bikes and riders come from all over the country for this event. It's mostly ignored by the media, along with the Viet Nam Vets, but if your a veteran or Patriot it is a moving and memorable experience as 500,000 bikes with flags and Honor Guards cross the bridge and ride the loop around the Mall. It's the only Welcome Home Viet Nam vets ever got, we give it to each other, in DC, on Memorial day weekend.

ependydad wrote:
dahkota wrote:
Just an FYI, the mosquitoes are already out and about. Much of DC used to be swamp land - there is a lot of standing water. Take bug spray. I am about 7 miles from the DC border right now and we have no stink bugs or gnats.

It will be the spring storm season - if it is really hot during the day, expect thunderstorms by 7:30 at night at least twice per week. They are brief but strong.

That's a pretty good assessment.

ford truck guy, where do you have reservations for? Cherry Hill?

dahkota, whereabouts are you staying?

Yes . . we have 3 spots at Cherry Hill.... arriving Friday noonish
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Just an FYI, the mosquitoes are already out and about. Much of DC used to be swamp land - there is a lot of standing water. Take bug spray. I am about 7 miles from the DC border right now and we have no stink bugs or gnats.

It will be the spring storm season - if it is really hot during the day, expect thunderstorms by 7:30 at night at least twice per week. They are brief but strong.

That's a pretty good assessment.

ford truck guy, where do you have reservations for? Cherry Hill?

dahkota, whereabouts are you staying?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a great day in DC last Sunday, perfect weather and no bugs. Spent the night at Cherry Hill, also bug free but way overpriced. :R

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
They do stink a little bit when you crush them

And they stink like #$%@ when you fry them by mistake!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
DC weather is hit or miss this time of year. If it is hot and muggy, expect a million bugs. If it is cool, no bugs. Last year was pretty cool over Memorial Day. Year before it got warm. Yesterday we hit 90... today was low 60's.

Just keep an eye on the forecast and plan accordingly.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Have a great trip and enjoy the crowds. Went to DC Memorial Day weekend a few years back and the crowds were crazy. If you drive, beware that some parking garages close by 6, long story. Have fun.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Thanks... we have those bugs here also... for a while ( until they got smarter) My kids thought they were from having a dirty room.. and they would clean every day !! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7