cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Door County Wisconsin

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All: We are planning 4 or 5 days in Door County next August. The RV Park Reviews are slim on recent ratings for RV parks up there. We have to coordinate time off from our jobs and thus plan and reserve full hookup sites well in advance. We do not utilize State or Fed campgrounds for personal reasons (Please do not try and suggest those). Baileys Grove seems to be the best option but with so few reviews we are looking for input from any recent visitors. We have no specific needs other than would prefer 50 amp in a full hookup park. Good wifi would be nice since it would appear none of the parks up there have cable. We do not use Dish or Satellite and do not RV enough to have it.
Any help is appreciated.
Greg the Chef wannabe
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK
16 REPLIES 16

saddleup
Explorer
Explorer
Just remembered that years ago I did stay at one of the Door County private campgrounds - it was Wagon Trail campground in the northern peninsula on the Lake Michigan side. Couldn't get a site at either of the State Parks that Fall. I remember it being very nice. Fanciest bath houses I ever saw. It is a little out of the way, but that can be a good thing too. Right next to Newport State Park. Oh yeah, and our site was HUGE and private with a gravel pad.
Jim & Kristie
2002 F-350 PSD, 4X4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed, SRW
2015 Cougar X-Lite High Country 28SGS 5'ver
Reese 16K & Tekonsha PrimusIQ digital controller
The K9 crew: Ginger the terrier, & the Yorkies - Heidi & Dora

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
I would state our reasons for preferring private parks over government parks but, and there is always a but, the Mods would have to close the thread after 123 pages of why we are wrong. I'm married for cryin out loud! That means I'm told I am wrong regularly.:S

Thanks to all for the input on Egg Harbor. I'm thinking that will be the choice.

Greg
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

saddleup
Explorer
Explorer
I pretty much only camp at State Parks, so I haven't stayed at any of the private campgrounds in DC, but I was just talking to my local dealer and he just stayed at Egg harbor CG and had good things to say about it.

I am curious as to what your objection is to State Parks. I am booked for Peninsula State Park in early October. Great park and position A.
Jim & Kristie
2002 F-350 PSD, 4X4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed, SRW
2015 Cougar X-Lite High Country 28SGS 5'ver
Reese 16K & Tekonsha PrimusIQ digital controller
The K9 crew: Ginger the terrier, & the Yorkies - Heidi & Dora

KevinGeiwitz
Explorer
Explorer
We just booked for October at Egg Harbor CG. The people and the grounds are very nice.I think the location cant be beat.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Door County camping retreat and love it. They have full service and 50 amp. The peninsula is a wonderful place to visit. We go about every 2nd or 3rd year for the last 15 years. If we ever get the chance I would love to spend the summer. Enjoy and sorry we have only stayed at the above campground but continue to go back so you have my vote
scott

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Baileys grove is a great campground, it is small for a campground and very quiet. I would recommend them 100%, very friendly also.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an option for you instead of Egg Harbor.

I see you have quite a family listed. If they would like a Campground with a good size pool and two water slides here's the place to be.

Link: www.harbourvillageresort.net

We've stayed there numerous times in the last 10 years with groups as big as 12 campers. Never had a bad experience.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us have that same brain cell issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

We don't have Sprint, we have US Cellular. But we've never had any issues with cell service. The only place in DC that we've not had service is on Hwy 42 just outside Peninsula State Park where the golf course is on the north end of the park. There is a hill there and for some reason its not covered by any of the towers.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All for the input. How is cell phone (Sprint) reception at Egg Harbor? Any one have any knowledge of that? I should have had that in my original post but my last functioning brain cell does not kick in too frequent. LOL
Greg
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We camp in Door County 2 or 3 times a year. This year its 3 times. A full week coming up at the beginning of Sept. We have looked at every private CG in Door County. Most are really old style, like something out of the 60s. Several are poorly maintained. Baily's Grove is one of the nicer ones but the sites are very close together. Wagon Trail is really nice but on the north end of the peninsula making it more a drive to get to a lot of popular places. They are also known for heavy rules enforcement. That's not always bad, but for example, if you want a fire later than the stated hours they will make you put it out.

For us its another vote for Egg Harbor Campground. It's central to everything in DC, most things are within 20 minutes from there. The farthest stuff at the tip of the peninsula is only 30 minutes or so. We've been going there since 2008 because Peninsula State Park is very hard to get in to. EHCG is an old KOA that's been revamped by the current owners, Mike and Debbie. They are excellent hosts. They'll guide you to your site and bring wood to you. There is a newer shower building in addition to the original. There are a bunch of fairly new full hookup sites that I believe have concrete patios. The pool was dugout and re-poured in spring. Most of the sites are reasonably sized and far enough apart that you don't feel like you're in a sardine can.

WiFi is only available at office/lounge but it is very fast. If you were considering streaming video from the CGs WiFi, please don't. That eats up bandwidth from others that also want to use it.

You'll love Door County. Its often referred to as the Cape Cod of the mid-west.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We visit Door County almost every year and always stay at Egg Harbor CG which has full service; one of the few in DC. Will be there again next month. BTW if you stay a full week you only pay for six days.
We are bikers (Schwinn not Harley) and ride all over DC checking out their various restaurants for lunch. If you need tips on where to eat send me a PM with your email address.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Last year I stayed at Hylands rv park. I was very pleased with the overall operation of the park
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay at Wagon trail campground if I was not at the state park.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Wisconsin/Baileys_Harbor.html
Camped in every state