cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite COE park in your state

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking at my Camping with COE book and noticed a park marked that we've never been too so I'm sure I marked it from a recommendation from someone on this forum. This got me to thinking..why not share our favorite COE parks in our home states?? Plese share your's and why it the favorite.

I'll start with Sanders Cove on Pat Mayse Lake. It has pine trees, sites are roomy, and has good fishing (we're told anyway as we're not fishermen). I know once we were there and there was a fishing tournament was going on...That's the only negative we've had about it...The roar of boat motors early in the morning wasn't too enjoyable, but it didn't last long.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
96 REPLIES 96

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Found a really nice one in September on Table Rock Lake near Branson, MO. Old Hwy 86 Park is a point that sticks out into the lake on the south side. Really nice looking. Good swimming and close enough to Branson for any activity you might want, but far enough away to avoid the heavy drive by traffic that some COE parks on Table Rock get.

reubenray wrote:
Being Louisiana does not have any COE campgrounds I have to pick one somewhere else. We are at Gunter Hill in Alabama right now and love it. We had planned on staying only 7 nights, but have decided to stay 14 nights instead.

Louisiana has a COE campground with 50A/W sites for $14 per day - $7 Senior Pass. Tom Merril CG is located a bit north of I-20 east of Shreveport off LA-157 in 'Bellevue'.

It is part of the Bodcau Bayou Dam - located just below the dam at 32.69968, -93.50911. No open water in the area because the dam is a flood control only facility.

No reservations, walk-in only. About 20-22 sites. Dump Station. Nice shady spots. Very seldom more than 1/2 of the sites occupied. Open year round.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else have any more treasures to share?

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We found another good in in Texas this week. Cedar Ridge Park @ Belton Lake. Some sites are closer than we've found in other COE parks but they are okay. Lake level is really low as in many north/central Texas lakes so didn't find the swimming beach area, but unless we had DGD with us during warmer weather this isn't a concern for us anyway. A lot of deer in park...many (3-12) right behind our RV due to neighbors feed them which doesn't seem to be a problem with park officials.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Oconee Point COE Campground near Clemson, SC is a gem! It has three seperate loops which means limited traffic and all lakefront sites. The sites are nicely spaced for privacy. COE campgrounds are our favorites and we go out of our way to stay at them.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We like Boulder campground at Carlyle Lake, IL. It is on the East side of the lake. However, it is not as handy to the stores, etc. Dam West campground is on the West side and is very close to town. You need a reservation for both for the weekend. Nicely groomed grounds. We mostly camp at Eldon Hazlet SP on West side. There are 300+ sites and it is like camping in the woods. Largest lake in IL. Sailing lake. The Keys bar/restaurant in Keysport has all you can eat Walleye everyday!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
williams1989 wrote:
Favorite COE in Mississippi..that is hard. We are blessed with some really nice ones here on the Tenn Tom Waterway..so here is my top 3!

Blue Bluff(Aberdeen)within 10 mins of home, right on the river, beautiful spots sitting right on the water...

Town Creek(West Point)within 25 mins of home, more sewer sites than some COE parks...

Piney Grove(New Site)sits on beautiful BAY SPRINGS!

You need to come down to Foscue Creek in Demopolis Al. Great park, most sites full hook ups, lots of boat traffic to watch...
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother to look for COE campgrounds in Colorado in the book or on-line--there are none. There are five COE lakes in Colorado that have campgrounds, but four are run by the Colorado Division of Parks & Wildlife and the other one (Bear Creek Lake) is run by City of Lakewood Parks & Recreation. So, the facilities and costs reflect State policies, not COE regulations.

All but one of these COE dams were built in response to the 1965 floods in the South Platte and Arkansas River Basins and had no initial recreation plans or facilities. One, John Martin Dam, was begun in the 1930s, in response to a flood in 1921 and, interestingly, floods during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. All 5 lakes were developed later by the State in order to take advantage of the recreational opportunities they offered, particularly in the Denver area where three of the five are located.

So, this thread is of great interest to us because we have never stayed in a COE campground. I am making a list of some of your suggestions in the South as we are planning a trip from Colorado to Florida (via Chicago to pick up a new trailer) in February.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
Favorite COE in Mississippi..that is hard. We are blessed with some really nice ones here on the Tenn Tom Waterway..so here is my top 3!

Blue Bluff(Aberdeen)within 10 mins of home, right on the river, beautiful spots sitting right on the water...

Town Creek(West Point)within 25 mins of home, more sewer sites than some COE parks...

Piney Grove(New Site)sits on beautiful BAY SPRINGS!
Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
The Williams Family

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else?? Even if it's not in your state, share your favorites!

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
Being Louisiana does not have any COE campgrounds I have to pick one somewhere else. We are at Gunter Hill in Alabama right now and love it. We had planned on staying only 7 nights, but have decided to stay 14 nights instead.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

pf32450
Explorer
Explorer
We like Kerr Scott Reservoir in North Wilkesboro, NC. Three campgrounds around the lake. Warriors Creek, Bandits Roost and Fort Hamby. All very nice and very well maintained. Only draw back only water and electric hook-up, but we bring a tote for that.
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We've only been to one COE and it was Cottonhill in Ga. Loved it! Plan to stay again.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I think (but do not know for sure . . :h . . ) that many COE and NP list 30' as the max length by default. I have parked my 33' TT in some 30' sites with lots of room to spare. A 30' TT with TV is about 65 feet long which is about (I think. . . :h . . .) the max legal size on a number of roads.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The book must be wrong.

Iron Mountain has two sections - an upper arm on the ridge and a lower loop closer to the water - but still a steep walk down the hill to the water.

I've had no trouble putting a 35 foot trailer into any spot in the campground. Many of the sites have pads long enough for my TT and truck both - 58 feet long.

Some of the sites are a bit tight for slideouts.

Though my favorite spot is listed as not recommended for slideouts - and I have no trouble with my opposing slides and a total width of 15'7" with all the slides out.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Practically grew up at Kirby Landing on Lake Greeson in west central Arkansas. Dad loved to water ski - and we've be there almost every weekend between April 1st and the end of October.

My current favorite COE park is Airport Park on Waco Lake near Waco, TX
rRV
But I'm also partial to Iron Mountain on Degray Lake near Arkadelphia, AR.

Usually spend a couple weeks each year at Burns Run West on Texoma Lake - just across the dam in Oklahoma. Usually very private and low usage especially after Labor Day. The grandkids love it.

At our age, the Senior Pass makes COE parks very affordable for a full-time couple.

I looked up Iron Mtn in the COE book & it says RV size limit is 30 ft. Is this correct?