cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
3 week trip (Feb 2016) around the coast of Florida with 40 ft 5ver. Few days in the keys but would rather not make reservations anywhere due unknown length of time at any stop. Any ideas,opinions or experience would be appreciated!In your opinion is this doable?
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST
23 REPLIES 23

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Join Encore... they have parks all over the place and due to their setup they usually have 1-2 sites free every night. Sunshine Key is their crown jewel and a must stay.

Also if you haven't found it already This website has something like 500 of the campgrounds and RV parks in Florida on film. Let's you see if you feel comfortable driving your rig into the place. We traveled similar to you this last winter through that area and found some real hidden and nice parks with that site.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:
February in Florida without a reservation may be doable, but I'd add in a healthy dose of prayer.

Amen :B
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Someone said "the west coast isn't nearly as popular" We have been doing the west coast for 9 years and it gets "Full Up" from December-March, you can find a spot but it may not be the best and bring $$$$$$$
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you layout your trip plans now. Then make a few phones calls to the campgrounds along your route. From that you will get a first hand idea of what IS and IS NOT available. February is 5 months away, so why not do some planning instead of taking the gamble?

I base my comment on being a snowbird for the past 12 years.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing to keep in mind. Florida has two coasts. The west coast isn't nearly as popular, especially if you don't need to be right on the beach.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably have better luck if you don't plan on staying more than a night or two at the most. Most people that go there will make reservations for a week or more.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go and have fun and it's not that bad. Maybe the KOA N of Key West will have a spot. Call and ask. It's actually on Sugaloaf Key.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
From experience, you might struggle to find open sites. My suggestion is to plan out the trip as best you can and make reservations now. Worst case scenario you love one park and only get 3 days there or you hate one park and are stuck staying 3 days there.

Without reservations you could very well find yourself with no site and either Wallyworld camping or worse. Especially having a big rig, you are kind of limited.

Our first year going down to Florida we didn't have reservations until about a week out. We found one teeny spot (thank goodness for a 22 foot trailer at the time!!!) that was $110 A NIGHT!!! Now, it was a nice "resort" park with a nice pool and paver sites and very nice, clean bathrooms... but $110 A NIGHT!!!??? The next year we planned months in advance, found a spot half the distance from the water (less than half a mile) and about 1/3rd the price. Now that we have a 29 footer and traveling with the in-laws and require 2 spots (preferably next to each other, or at least close), we are having an even more difficult time.

Its possible, but anywhere nice in Florida in February is going to be busy. Finding a spot for a large camper makes it that much more difficult. Good luck and enjoy Florida!!! I think February is the best month to go. Its the coldest and snowiest in the northern mid-Atlantic, so those 70 degree days and 55 degree nights feel AMAZING!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
ttempleton wrote:
3 week trip (Feb 2016) around the coast of Florida with 40 ft 5ver. Few days in the keys but would rather not make reservations anywhere due unknown length of time at any stop. Any ideas,opinions or experience would be appreciated!In your opinion is this doable?

Depending on which way you are going to go, Daytona area in February could be iffy. You might want to check which week is Bike Week and also the Daytona 500. Good Luck and have a Happy and Safe trip.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
In February 2013 we basically did the 6 week jump around Florida in our 5ver (much smaller than the OPer's). Did have state park reservations near Osprey (south of Sarasota) and 4 days at Knight's Key RV (just outside of Marathon) in the Keys. Other parks were usually reserved a few days ahead of our expected arrival. In fact, I think that is the method of "going without reservations." Keep yourself organized by having a plan or where you're going and when you plan to be there. You can always extend if sites area available.

Since our 2013 initial trip we've gone to 3 months and make reservations (usually at the same park). We've noticed a large increase in parks filling up, especially in February. Our usual park, Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River, was usually booked in February, especially on weekends and that's north of Tampa about 70 miles. You may want to make some reservations based upon general areas you want to visit. Leave some days in between reservations to roam a little, but you may find that calling ahead 3-4 days will give you some flexibility while insuring that you have a spot to camp.

Good luck!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
RRinNFla wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Spend a couple days in Everglades on the way in, or way out. Great place. Flamingo has Elect/Water sites, but you need to reserve early. Otherwise, dry camps but water and dump, and showers available (cold shower, but it's the Everglades, plenty warm even in dead of winter) Make sure you take some time at Royal Palms too, inside the park entrance...

Unless things have changed in the last year, Flamingo sites have electricity, but no water except at the bath houses.

Yes, correct - the water is various places around the CG, not on the specific sites. Electric is only one section of the CG - and it seems folks make reservations than don't show up. So, we see several sites with electric sitting empty but "taken" ... sucks when someone does that.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

rvcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder....if you go the The Keys with no reservation and do not find a spot....your only solution is to turn around and drive back to the mainland as there is no boondocking of any kind in The Keys.
3 of us...Jim, Susan &
Linksy (Maine Coon with a drop of Persian)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Spend a couple days in Everglades on the way in, or way out. Great place. Flamingo has Elect/Water sites, but you need to reserve early. Otherwise, dry camps but water and dump, and showers available (cold shower, but it's the Everglades, plenty warm even in dead of winter) Make sure you take some time at Royal Palms too, inside the park entrance...

Unless things have changed in the last year, Flamingo sites have electricity, but no water except at the bath houses.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4