cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Mass to FL Keys - looking for resort campgrounds

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
WE have started planning our road trip for next summer. We will be going from Mass to the Florida Keys. I need help finding nice campgrounds/resorts in the Keys. Anyone have any recommendations?

For the trip down we will most likely stop in a rest area or truck stop until we hit FL. In FL I plan to stop in Daytona for a few days. Will stopping overnight in a rest area on I95 be ok?

On the return trip we are undecided n what to do. One thought is to stop in VA Beach for a day or two. The other thought is to go through TN and come back through the mountains in Pennsylvania. My concern with that is I have a 37' gas motorhome and don't know how it will fare in the mountains.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
11 REPLIES 11

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
X2! Just be aware that if you camp at BlueWater Key, NO other CG will ever measure up for as long as you go camping.... :B

Shot-N-Az wrote:
Bluewater Key is the only true resort in the Keys.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Magilla

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
For the trip down we will most likely stop in a rest area or truck stop until we hit FL. In FL I plan to stop in Daytona for a few days. Will stopping overnight in a rest area on I95 be ok?

Every state is different, but I think South Carolina may be the only state that allows overnight parking at Rest Stops/Areas. A couple of the South Carolina Rest Stops have been closed down. There is a Flying J in pretty much every state along I-95 and you can stay there as well.

We prefer WalMarts to Rest Areas. We stayed in WalMarts in MD, NC, SC and GA. All the ones we've stayed at along I95 allow overnight parking. I will say the WalMart in Lumberton, NC (southern NC) is very noisy. I think the people there make it their mission to make sure you don't get any sleep.

Florida could be hard to find overnight parking. I know the Flying J in St. Augustine, FL (Exit 305) offers overnight parking for RVs. The RV parking area is small and fills up quick. The Flying J in Brunswick, GA (exit 29) has a lot of RV parking spots. The WalMart in Brunswick (exit 38), is a few miles off I-95, but it is quiet. The WalMart in Pooler, GA is popular for overnighting. Signs say no parking, but we have been told by both Management and the Security Guard that it is okay to park overnight.

I would recommend taking a couple days in Hilton Head, NC, a few days in Charleston, SC, a day or two in Savannah, GA and a couple days in Brunswick, GA. There's not much in Brunswick worth seeing, but Jekyll Island and St. Simons Island are both nice. Jekyll Island is RV friendly with plenty of parking for large RVs, although you do have to pay $10 to get on the island with the RV. You could stay at one of the campgrounds in the area, Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground or Coastal GA RV Resort and drive to the Islands. You can spend a day on Jekyll and maybe a day on St. Simons.

Jacksonville, FL is okay. There's a handful of nice campgrounds. We like Hannah Park. We like the Jacksonville Zoo and Museum of Science and History. We like to drive down A1A to St. Augustine.
St. Augustine is really nice, take a day or two to see St. Augustine. There are a few nice campgrounds along A1A in St. Augustine, some on the beach some across from the beach. We like North Beach Campground.

We haven't camped south of St. Augustine, along the coast at least. Fort Wilderness is definitely our favorite campground. Also in the area is Tropical Palms Resort which is a nice RV resort close to Disney and the other Orlando area attractions.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Are you asking in help in finding/searching for these type of resorts or do you want people to recommend some to you?

Either or is fine by me
Magilla

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Rv lot at Venture Out Resort on Cudjoe Key, which is 24 miles from Key West. Lost of amenities, on the Atlantic side and close to Key West. We rent it out when we are not there.

Here is a link to our site for more info:

Venture Out Resort

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater Key is the only true resort in the Keys.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Are you asking in help in finding/searching for these type of resorts or do you want people to recommend some to you?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater Key RV Resort is about 10mi. from West. They are owner/renter sites.

More
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get to the Keys, check out Key Largo Kampground on Key Largo.

It is one of the best in the upper Keys

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
States vary in rest area policies. Many post no overnight camping and some have rather short maximum stay limits (four hours, for example). Whether sleeping in a parked motorhome counts as "parking" or "camping" might vary with the exact wording of the law and/or the mood of any police officers; certainly things like putting out the awning, building a campfire, etc. are not recommended. (On the other hand, one of the reasons for having a safety rest area is to permit tired drivers to take a rest so they can drive safely.)

For the trip back, you might want to think about going along the Blue ridge parkway/skyline drive. Beautiful scenery, and while there is certainly mountain driving, it's not too difficult in that the speed limits are relatively low and everybody goes somewhat slowly...and there are many places to pull off and stretch and let people go by.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
It will go up and down all the hills just fine. Go up slow and down slower yet.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler