Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fort Davis, TX

herewer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

The DS needs to use our TT for a few weeks while apartment shopping in this area.

I see three parks here: Fort Davis Inn &RV Park,HistoricPrude Ranch and Macmillien RV. Does anyone have personal info on any of these parks?

I also see the Fort Stockton RV Park.

I will check RV Park reviews but would appreciate a personal reviewer experience. We know we will have to do as much protecting from the cold as we can. We hope this will not go past Christmas.

Thank you for your time.
wendy
herewer
10 REPLIES 10

Team_Triton
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed here for a few days in Aug 2013. It served as base camp to explore from. Had Wifi, cable and sewer in addition to water and electricity. State Park also has a day fee that is not included in hook up price. http://www.fortdavisinn.com/

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Ft. Davis State Park. Note, my comments are based on a stay three years ago. Absolutely beautiful campground. Only place we could get Wifi was at the restaurant. Nice site with plenty of space. On our site the cable hookup was on the opposite side of the site and required a long run. Would stay there again if life takes us in that direction.

Will never forget the visit to Ft. Davis National Historic Site. It was haunting to walk around it while the outdoor speakers played recreations of the daily sound of a Calvary fort of the period.

Also not to miss the tour of the McDonald Observatory.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure and make a reservation .oil/gas workers have filled most all rv parks & motels in west TX.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
...and yet another vote for Fort Davis State Park. It's in a beautiful setting with some walking opportunities for your son to work off stress. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Let me step in a again for Ft Davis state park -- excellent, with some RV HU sites and some camping sites.

It's down in a hollow that's very protected, lots of trees around too.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

herewer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your replies. I will continue to research his options.

Wendy
herewer

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Davis Mountain state park. Stayed there and will do so again.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
another vote for Davis Mountain State Park vs rv parks in the town of Ft. Davis.
Prude Ranch is in a prettier and less crowded area, just outside the town, but is more of a parking lot in a field of grass.
Another state park is Balmorhea about 30 miles from Ft. Davis. Neat and clean with covered tables.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
MacMillan is on high open ground with virtually no protection from the wind.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
You missed Davis Mountain State Park. It is just outside of Ft Davis - even has a Ft Davis mailing address

They have about 100 sites of which 27 full hookup sites with cable tv even, for only $25 a night. We stayed there for a week. Lots of animals in the campground.

I would stay there I know Prude is just an open field - The Fort Davis Inn is right on Main St and very small. Its advertised rates are more than the state park

We used to live next to you in Richardson TX, I hope DS is prepared for how small fort davis is and how remote. They do have one grocery store.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks