cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort desoto Florida

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fort De Soto have 50 amp and just water is that correct and how was it getting to the state park how are the roads leading to it and does anybody know of the best attractions in Tampa other than the usual
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft
16 REPLIES 16

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
The road to the park are great, minus a couple of tolls. Inside the park is another story. Section 1 is for tents and popups. Do not try to fit a trailer over 20ft in there. Section two is the pet loop. It's road is curvy with lots of trees, but I've seen large toy haulers go down there without hitting anything. It's sites sizes vary. Section 3 is non pet RV loop. It's roads are straight but the water sites are on the short side. Their website shows you the dimensions and a photo of each site. Some sites have tricky approaches as they try to preserve the trees and there are a lot of them. There are raccoons, but the only time they were a problem for us was right after a tropical storm evacuation. We checked in the day they reopened and the place was dead for a couple of days so the coons converged on the few campers that was there.

That being said, Ft Desoto is our favorite local campground and is very popular with the fishing, beach and paddling crowds.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
They were there this past Christmas and let me tell you they are not afraid of anything. Sunny skies they come right up to the picnic table at lunch time. I was a problem for us because or small children did not like them getting that close.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been since 2009 just for the problem of the Raccoon's. I can assume that the park finally read all the complaints and trapped and removed them. I am telling you, I wrote almost a full page of complaints about the critters gnawing through corners of ice chest, and through a water hose. The old Mamma coon with her two babies also looked diseased, chunks of fur missing etc. The one reason we decided not to return.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
The raccoons run around freely and are not afraid of people, probably because people have fed them. The waterfront sites are really nice especially if you have a kayak, bicycle riding on the various bike paths is great. Plenty to see and do at the park and the surrounding area.

In the two times I've been there I've never seen a raccoon..... Now a squirrel that would actually get up on its hind legs and beg for food, yes. The roads to the park are fine, and as someone else mentioned bring plenty of quarters for the tolls. Every time you leave the park you are pretty much guaranteed to hit two tolls on the way back in unless you go no further than Tierra Verde. The main road in the park is fine, but the dirt roads on the campground loops are pretty rough.

I suggest the next time you are there, open your eyes at dusk and see as they climb down the palm trees and munch on your neighbors fresh water hose. We saw many and they are not afraid of humans.

Well I was just there 3 weeks ago and was out plenty at dusk/night and didn't see one.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
The raccoons run around freely and are not afraid of people, probably because people have fed them. The waterfront sites are really nice especially if you have a kayak, bicycle riding on the various bike paths is great. Plenty to see and do at the park and the surrounding area.

In the two times I've been there I've never seen a raccoon..... Now a squirrel that would actually get up on its hind legs and beg for food, yes. The roads to the park are fine, and as someone else mentioned bring plenty of quarters for the tolls. Every time you leave the park you are pretty much guaranteed to hit two tolls on the way back in unless you go no further than Tierra Verde. The main road in the park is fine, but the dirt roads on the campground loops are pretty rough.

I suggest the next time you are there, open your eyes at dusk and see as they climb down the palm trees and munch on your neighbors fresh water hose. We saw many and they are not afraid of humans.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the raccoons have been relocated since I was last there. That is a good thing than because DW would not go back because of them. Looks like I'll be making reservations at Ft. Desoto again.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe it has been mentioned yet, but if one attempts to get a reservation online, be aware that on Loop one, nothing bigger than a campervan or popup trailer is allowed.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
If you travel with a dog, pay attention to which site you book. There is one pet loop only.

Be sure to visit the fort and little museum. There's also a ferry from the park to Egmont Key.

I've never seen raccoons either on numerous visits. Lots of water birds though.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Great place. We love it. I think roads are fine. Sites are great.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we were there the interior roads were narrow with tree limbs and some sites were difficult to back into. Just take it slow and have someone help watch the limbs. They may have trimmed them more lately. We haven't been in awhile. Traffic can be heavy at rush hour and on weekends. Add Florida Aquarium and Tampa River Walk to things to do.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Roads to the park are fine, but bring plenty of quarters for the tolls if you're going in & out a lot. If you're a baseball fan, taking in a Rays game might be in order. I didn't find the stadium as bad as some have depicted it.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Craig_A
Explorer
Explorer
All good suggestions but the St. Pete Pier is gone. As stated, there are many different type of sites. Fort Desoto info
Beautiful wife of 38 years
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever
18 year old Amazon Parrot
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 36J