cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a few questions on the U.P.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so I have tentative plans for a trip to the UP next summer, mid to the end of July. We want to check out Pictured Rocks and Grand Island. We will be staying at Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior. Where exactly does Pictured Rocks start and end? It looks like it goes from just east of Munising to just south of Grand Marais? are there any hikes to scenic overlooks of Pictured Rocks? we will either do a boat tour and/or kayak/boat rental, not sure what we want to do yet. any advice on this?

Also what are the best hikes for seeing waterfalls?

Is there anything else that I`m missing for things to see and do in the area?

I`ve been looking forward to this trip for a long time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
19 REPLIES 19

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point either. Enjoy!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
OK, so I have tentative plans for a trip to the UP next summer, mid to the end of July. We want to check out Pictured Rocks and Grand Island. We will be staying at Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior. Where exactly does Pictured Rocks start and end? It looks like it goes from just east of Munising to just south of Grand Marais? are there any hikes to scenic overlooks of Pictured Rocks? we will either do a boat tour and/or kayak/boat rental, not sure what we want to do yet. any advice on this?

Also what are the best hikes for seeing waterfalls?

Is there anything else that I`m missing for things to see and do in the area?

I`ve been looking forward to this trip for a long time!

You have to be in the water to appreciate it, so yes, either the boat tour or kayak is the best option.

I have done the boat tour out of Munising twice now.
The tour is great and I enjoyed it very much both times. I have to admit that none of the boys in our group cared much for viewing Pictured Rocks. They were 13, 11, and 9. Two of them had done the tour before, but one was a first timer and he was polite but bored. There is an excellent ice cream shop just down the road from the Munising boat cruise. It was seriously the best ice cream I've had in my life. The boys had an eating contest. I can't remember the name of the place, but here's a pic. Apparently it's a pink building with a flamingo on the side.
>

Just a heads up that you may want to purchase your tickets in advance. Our first cruise 3 years ago they asked us if we had reservations when we showed up. We did not and it was a non-issue as there was room on the boat. This past July, I remembered them asking about reservations so I purchased tickets in advance and that was fortunate because they were sold out when we arrived. Someone actually got upset with management when they saw us board (they didn't know we had previously purchased tickets and they were denied).
Can't help you with waterfalls. I've learned that my family isn't impressed with anything since we've been to Niagara. ๐Ÿ™‚
The UP is huge, how far do you consider "in the area?"

Have a good time. It's beautiful!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend the boat trip to Pictured Rocks

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can get ahold of a book of county maps, waterfalls are marked on them. As you drive in the UP you may see signs at the road for a waterfall, pull over, park and follow the path to it. Most are not far off the road, and some even right next to the roads. You could spend weeks in the UP doing day trips to various places. You should be able to find info online or even order a travel guide from the state website. Have a good trip, I'm sure you will love it.
Mackinaw Island - St Ignace - Lake of the Clouds, Tahquamenon Falls - Copper Harbor are other areas of interest.

check out www.michigan.org

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Pictured Rocks runs roughly from Munising to Grand Marais. We did a boat tour from Munising and enjoyed it thoroughly; we did one of the evening cruises since sunset can add lots of wonderful color to the cliffs. Kayaking - I'm jealous as we did not have enough time in the area to do that.

Hikes - we only did two; the short trail to Miner's Falls and a hike along the shoreline in the area of Hurricane River to Au Sable Light and back. Flies can be REAL bad in the Au Sable area.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B