cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Circle Counter-Clockwise (Sep 24 - Oct 19)

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Gina and I are doing the Grand Circle counter-clockwise starting basically in Moab and ending roughly in the four corners area. We are wanting to "base" from a campground that has electric and water minimum and stay at each stop 3-5 days (guess). If there's not a campground with sewer, we'd like the park to have a dump station. I'm working out the "sights to see" separately and have inputs from folks here on that too, but am also open to must-not-miss places to dine AND those "known to you only" secret spots if you want to share.

So, I'd love to hear your suggestions of 3 or 4 "base" locations on the circle in beautiful campgrounds. Would even love suggestions on how you did it if it worked well for you (itinerary). We don't mind traveling 50 or 75 miles to reach the sites. We thank you very much for your experience and time.

Brent
21 REPLIES 21

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brent and Gina wrote:
A little clarification. I'm working on the "things to see" and they are NOT firm yet, but here is what I have so far starting in Moab. The "circle" seems pretty straight-forward on the maps I've seen as circle-ish. If not, please let me know for my planning purposes. We're going counter-clockwise on it tentatively like this:
We stayed at the following,all FHU
Moab Portal RV Park ( the resort side)
Capitol Reef National Park Thousand Lakes RV Park
Bryce Canyon National Park Ruby's
Zion National Park Zion River Resort
North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park can't help - stayed at South Rim when we were there
Lake Powell
Monument Valley - Drive to Monument Valley Gouldings CG

I've got a LOT of sub-sights in these main areas, but I'm looking for campgrounds that support electric and water as must-haves. We don't want to pack up the 5th wheel and move it constantly so we'd like to base in areas and, if necessary, drive a little further. We are retired and take extra time when we travel and have learned over the past 8 years that this is our preferred style--base and see the surrounding area. Campground comfort with water and electric essential.

So, what's discussed so far. agesilaus - I don't see us going south (clockwise) from Moab so Monticello won't be traveled likely. Cortez a definitely possibility towards the very end. Busskipper - I'm sorry, but campgrounds are definitely part of an overall trip for us. We've stayed at some dumps and it's a huge distraction and bummer when we look back. For example, when we stayed in a parking lot basically in Santa Rosa, CA to do some wine tours. Sites are great, tours are great, campgrounds are great, getting out of the house is great, local cuisine is great and they all add up to an experience. Our campgrounds in the Badlands and Custer State Park--awesome. It's so important to us not to constantly move that we pack in extra time and sacrifice sights if necessary knowing we can go back. I very much understand the move, move, move style and we see it often when we're on the road. Sometimes, we take an entire day or two and just relax at the campground and grill out steaks sleeping in late the next day, maybe do Walmart to restock or eat out. Hey, it's our style. Respect all around. Busskipper, we caught snow/ice in Yellowstone and we certainly try and stay away from it! Thanks all and please keep 'em coming! ๐Ÿ™‚
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Brent and Gina wrote:
We leave in less than 2 weeks.
This may have a definite impact on your planning. This is high season for many of the places you want to visit. Weekends may be fully booked in some places, so figure out where you'll be on the weekends, get those reservations, then fill in the week days.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Brent and Gina wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
Brent andGina wrote:
I think I agree with you 100%. We are in no rush. We'll be coming from a friends house in Colorado Springs to Moab. We will stay there until we feel we're ready to go. At 3 weeks in, we'll just head back from wherever we are. I like it!

So that will pose an entirely different Question - "What Route will you take out and Back?"

Suggested Route As in Colorado it will be a Beautiful - although a little Late - Drive with the Aspen having Turned. With stops in Buena Vista/Collegiates/Leadville/Salida/Twin Lakes/Independence Pass - Then Driving past Gunnison/Crested Butte/Montrose - then possibly Ouray/Telluride/Silverton - before heading over to Moab.

If at all possible try to leave a little earlier - so as to enjoy the Aspen before they all fall off - you will not regret it.

The trip back will likely bring you back on RT 160 with even more to enjoy on the drive back to the Springs - Cortez/Durango/Pagosa Springs/Great sand Dunes/Salida - Map back Keep an eye on the weather - as the passes often get just a little October Snow - usually wet and melted shortly after it falls on the Warm Black Highway.

This will be a Great Trip - It would really be nice if you Posted a Few Pic's as you make your way, then we can all enjoy it ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of Luck,

We are almost going on the suggested route. Instead, we're going 50 from Pueblo. On the way back, we'll drop down to 40 directly back to Little Rock where we're from. The Colorado Springs stop is to visit a fellow Air Force friend. I will try and remember to post some pics. I'm terrible doing it for family on Facebook so I need to step up in that regard.

Sounds Great!

As the map out was not too detailed I'll throw in a few options/thoughts as you head out, if time allows.

North from Buena Vista is Independence Pass to Aspen and Maroon Bells - It would be a Great Day Drive in the Toad. Allowing you to do the Pass - Aspen and Maroon Bells as a day drive (RT 82 is a size restricted road - 30') Map to the Bells - From K's

I'll also throw in the possibility of Quincy's for Dinner - http://quincystavern.com/ - For us it's a tradition to eat there - very limited Menu but just part of Colorado. If this were to turn into a couple more days I'd look at The Collegiates for a few great drives - literally all the roads in are Great.

Cottonwood Pass is under construction so closed to Crested Butte, ....so if that needs to be visited then would be out of Gunnison - Added note This is a Good/Last Wal*Mart resupply town.

If the Rocks are in your sites then Ouray and Telluride might just be another Colorado Stop? IMHO - this is as Good as it Gets in Colorado!
Couple short side trips from there would be Trout Lake - Ophir Pass Rd - National Forest with Lizard Head and Dunton.

Then the possibility of taking RT 145 and RT 90 over to Moab - Gunnison to Moab optional Route.

If I-70 ends up being the desired route then think about getting off at Exit 214 and following RT 128 along the Colorado River into Moab.

Good thing you're retired - Might need to add a few Weeks:)

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Brent andGina wrote:
I think I agree with you 100%. We are in no rush. We'll be coming from a friends house in Colorado Springs to Moab. We will stay there until we feel we're ready to go. At 3 weeks in, we'll just head back from wherever we are. I like it!

So that will pose an entirely different Question - "What Route will you take out and Back?"

Suggested Route As in Colorado it will be a Beautiful - although a little Late - Drive with the Aspen having Turned. With stops in Buena Vista/Collegiates/Leadville/Salida/Twin Lakes/Independence Pass - Then Driving past Gunnison/Crested Butte/Montrose - then possibly Ouray/Telluride/Silverton - before heading over to Moab.

If at all possible try to leave a little earlier - so as to enjoy the Aspen before they all fall off - you will not regret it.

The trip back will likely bring you back on RT 160 with even more to enjoy on the drive back to the Springs - Cortez/Durango/Pagosa Springs/Great sand Dunes/Salida - Map back Keep an eye on the weather - as the passes often get just a little October Snow - usually wet and melted shortly after it falls on the Warm Black Highway.

This will be a Great Trip - It would really be nice if you Posted a Few Pic's as you make your way, then we can all enjoy it ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of Luck,

We are almost going on the suggested route. Instead, we're going 50 from Pueblo. On the way back, we'll drop down to 40 directly back to Little Rock where we're from. The Colorado Springs stop is to visit a fellow Air Force friend. I will try and remember to post some pics. I'm terrible doing it for family on Facebook so I need to step up in that regard.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Brent andGina wrote:

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I highly recommend going to each national park's web site and exploring it thoroughly as to what they recommend to do within the park. Here is Arch's in Moab:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

In addition to the national park there are so many other things to see and do within a close range of the park. If you're hikers there are unlimited opportunities. In Arches the Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike is very unique and awesome but you'll need reservations. That's how you really 'see' the parks - do things in them even if it's the easy hikes. Ranger activities are also worthwhile. For Moab you could take the Colorado River evening cruise, rent a Jeep or go on a Jeep tour, drive up to LaSal Mountain, tour both Canyonlands NP sections and lots of other things. Google the town itself for ideas.

For Bryce the best experience is to get down within the fairyland spires and do a hike. There are also horse rides down there. Just walking along the rim won't give you the full and best picture. Outside the park in both directions are lots of beautiful things to see along Hwy 12. In Escalante hike a slot canyon like Peek-A-Boo Canyon - short but beautiful. Stop at the Visitor Center for ideas. Calf Creek Falls and Kodachrome State Park are worth exploring.

Since you're retired try to plan this trip in April or September. These are some hot places in the summer.

We leave in less than 2 weeks.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me post one warning Arches and Zion are hotter than Hades in the summer. Get out early in the morning or late in the afternoon or early evening. Carry a lot more water than you think you'll need. Capitol Reef is on the hot side too in the canyons when you are in the sun. Wear a big hat and light colored clothing.

Bryce and North Rim are high altitude and cooler.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend going to each national park's web site and exploring it thoroughly as to what they recommend to do within the park. Here is Arch's in Moab:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

In addition to the national park there are so many other things to see and do within a close range of the park. If you're hikers there are unlimited opportunities. In Arches the Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike is very unique and awesome but you'll need reservations. That's how you really 'see' the parks - do things in them even if it's the easy hikes. Ranger activities are also worthwhile. For Moab you could take the Colorado River evening cruise, rent a Jeep or go on a Jeep tour, drive up to LaSal Mountain, tour both Canyonlands NP sections and lots of other things. Google the town itself for ideas.

For Bryce the best experience is to get down within the fairyland spires and do a hike. There are also horse rides down there. Just walking along the rim won't give you the full and best picture. Outside the park in both directions are lots of beautiful things to see along Hwy 12. In Escalante hike a slot canyon like Peek-A-Boo Canyon - short but beautiful. Stop at the Visitor Center for ideas. Calf Creek Falls and Kodachrome State Park are worth exploring.

Since you're retired try to plan this trip in April or September. These are some hot places in the summer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Don't flitter around, spend more time in one major park. You will get a lot more out of it. We've been just about all those places multiple times over the years. Often spending 5-8 days a stop. And we still haven't seen all we want to see.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't flitter around, spend more time in one major park. You will get a lot more out of it. We've been just about all those places multiple times over the years. Often spending 5-8 days a stop. And we still haven't seen all we want to see.
Superbumper

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Brent and Gina wrote:

Moab - Use RV Park Reviews web site for any of these. We don't know your price range.

Capitol Reef National Park - Stay in Torrey
Bryce Canyon National Park - Ruby's
Zion National Park - Stay in Springdale
North Rim of Grand Canyon National Parkin Jacob Lake, AZ or Kanab, Utah
Lake Powell - Stay in Page. Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area has a full service c.g.
Monument Valley - Drive to Monument Valley - Stay in Gouldings RV and take their tour from there. Don't drive your truck to tour.

The CGs in red are very helpful by the way!

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Absolutely those parks are too far apart for a base camp to cover multiple parks.

Definitely getting there guys!

Brent_and_Gina
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Brent and Gina wrote:

Moab - Use RV Park Reviews web site for any of these. We don't know your price range.

Capitol Reef National Park - Stay in Torrey
Bryce Canyon National Park - Ruby's
Zion National Park - Stay in Springdale
North Rim of Grand Canyon National Parkin Jacob Lake, AZ or Kanab, Utah
Lake Powell - Stay in Page. Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area has a full service c.g.
Monument Valley - Drive to Monument Valley - Stay in Gouldings RV and take their tour from there. Don't drive your truck to tour.

These parks have too long of distance to have base camps. How often would you drive back and forth to visit just one?

I wish I knew enough of each park to dedicate time. I'm still doing research and will likely have several options. Right now, I'm thinking 3 to 4 days in Moab driving to 2 or 3 spots a day. Maybe 1. Then, on to another base camp, stay 3 or 4 days and see several others. Keep in mind, this is just starting to take shape. I've looked at some caravan itineraries and they generally don't spend more than 2 days in any one location. I figured some on RV.net may have travel thoughts similar to us and would simply say something like "We stayed at such and such and from there, we saw these 3 parks in 4 days there." I can research the various Google, RV Park Reviews, Good Sams, Recreation.gov, etc, but that's outside of this forum. There is no need to restrict campgrounds or anything else based on price. Thanks so much.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absolutely those parks are too far apart for a base camp to cover multiple parks.
Superbumper